What's new

Match-up Discussion Runaway superman problem

Wigy

There it is...
Seriously does grundy have any options here i sure as hell couldn't do anything. Just superman jumping back doing the laser and the superman slam thing.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Grundy's dash is ridiculous... block the laser and dash in.
yeah this.

its hard... because f2 is sucha good move to catch your dash. Just be very reactionary on his jump.

when he jumps... you dash at him. react to laser by blocking... reacting to back air dash with another dash... forward air dash with d2 bitchslap.

This MU is tough though.

Wigy

There it is...
yeah this.

its hard... because f2 is sucha good move to catch your dash. Just be very reactionary on his jump.

when he jumps... you dash at him. react to laser by blocking... reacting to back air dash with another dash... forward air dash with d2 bitchslap.

This MU is tough though.
His pimpslap seems to very rarely win the air superman trade :(

Grundy needs like a crappy JC projectile.. silly if somebody is the air unless you're right next to em you can't do jack shit.

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
If I may, one thing you may want to consider against Superman(or any character that keeps you at bay with projectiles) is using Grundy's defense chain which basically decreases chip damage by nearly 100%. If your opponent is getting good reads on you, and keeping you at bay with projectiles, the defense chain will make getting in not nearly as difficult. Heck, if you get a good life lead, and they manage to get you at full screen again, you can pretty much lame them out since they can't deal enough chip damage to you to catch up. I almost lamed out a Deathstroke this way, until he realized he needed to come into my ideal range.

This alone won't make the Superman match automatically winnable, though. Superman has a lot more than just his projectiles to make this matchup a pain in the ass for Grundy. His trait alone makes the armor strategy not nearly as effective. I guess one thing to be careful of if you decide to start dashing at a zoning Superman, is be mindful of his meter. Superman's super can catch you out one of your dashes at fullscreen if the Superman player makes a good read. Other than that, against a zoning Superman, just dash and block/duck. Dash and block if he's just using the air laser, but make sure to block it standing; EX air laser seems to be overhead. Dash and duck against Superman's heat zap. Grundy covers enough distance with his dash that getting in isn't too much of an issue, especially if you couple that with Grundy's defense chain.

That's all the advice I can give. Haven't fought a whole lot of Supermen who utilize more than a zoning strategy.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
using Grundy's defense chain which basically decreases chip damage by nearly 100%.
I was wondering about that. I never really use the defense chain too much so I don't know much about it's effect. Is it really that effective in reducing chip?

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
I was wondering about that. I never really use the defense chain too much so I don't know much about it's effect. Is it really that effective in reducing chip?
It is very effective in reducing chip. If you want, go into training mode and record a Deathstroke just doing low-gunshots over and over(which is probably his most effective chipping attack). Get the full defense chain with Grundy and just hold down back while the Deathstroke blasts away. See for yourself.

GlaziaX

Noob
Yeah I'm finding decent Superman players a real problem. My Grundy is pretty high on the ranked ladder but I find that a middling competent Superman just has all the tools for us. The problem is not that he is unbeatable, it is that he needs to make errors and you need to make cold reads over and over. Down 2 is very hard to land on him and air grab is similarly poor against him. These being my go to anti air options I find things tough.

Superman Issues as I see 'em

1) He lives happily in the air making the standard anti zoning tool of MB Hands almost useless.
2) In the air if we get close enough to challenge him his hits almost always take priority.
3) When we work out way in through the eye beams and the (ouch) MB eye lazers he has faster normals which tend to get in first, gives him a combo and then time to back up again.
4) His movement is quite unpredictable. Between dropping down for combo chains, just air zoning with eyes and the occasional ground punch it is harder to catch him in a pattern than other heroes.

All in all a very tough matchup. Personally I find my answer to a tough superman is to switch chars but I'd love better options.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
This match up always feels like Dhalsim vs Zangief to me, yes it's true he covers a lot of range. But you only need 1 good read before you get in, doesn't help Superman that his wake up options are pretty poor.

Make EVERY hit count, Grundy has 40%-55% combos 1 bar for this exact reason.
Don't bother using Swamp hands unless you know he's gonna ground laser on the floor, not worth the MB.
React to all his jumps with a dash as someone else pointed out.
Don't try to run away after you have a life lead, you're gonna end up dying to his lasers eventually (I tried it 3 times already, doesn't work.)
His air to airs beat yours, but I'm pretty sure an early j.1 beats most of his options in the air.
the air dash is a trick fuck. He has some weird recovery in the air, but at the end of his air dash, he can do a ground laser/dive kick.
He has a 8 frame f+2,3 string which is...-2 on block, and can cancel that into super breath for +1
All about patience, time your dashes, and slowly if possible push him into the corner.
I actually enjoy all of the zoning matches from Grundy, cause not only is it fun to chase someone down, but it actually shows how patient and how much training you've put into these matchups.