What's new

Road to the Best of MK9: Crazy DJT vs. VXG.EMP REO

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian

We're back with the next part of our retrospective series that looks at some of the best sets in MK9 history. Bouncing off our last piece, we are keeping with DJT and moving away from MLG 2012 and jumping ahead to the end of MK9's proper competitive season. After a strong 3 year run on the EVO main stage, things came to a close in 2013 with Crazy DJT playing VXG.EMP REO in the Grand Finals.

At this point in MK9's life, REO was putting in a crazy about of work dominating with Kabal, who went from being Broke-tier to arguably S-tier by the last patch. After being sent to losers by Wound Cowboy in pools, he fought his way through Forever King, the 2-time EVO champion Perfect Legend and DJT's brother, MIT.

On the other side of the bracket was DJT, who was on a hotstreak this EVO season between his MK9 wins and his second place win in Injustice: Gods Among Us. He'd already shown that he was one of the best in the NRS scene, but could he secure that EVO Medal when up against some Kabal's death blasts and hook-swords?

Since this was 5 years ago, you probably know that answer. DJT held the line in the face of a possible bracket reset by REO. He showed that patience pays off in the face of some of the most oppressive zoning you would ever see in an MK9 set. He knew that he only needed one touch to score a life-bar off of REO, so he simply played the waiting game into those 70% Cyrax resets. While REO came close, cybernetics proved superior over humanity: if Cyrax comes back for MK11, expect him to step it up from a breathing mask.

If you want to keep up with these two now, you can find DJT over on Twitter as well as REO who also does streaming on Twitch.

So that's 3 of the best MK9 sets out of the way. What else should we cover? Keep us posted in the comments, don't want to miss out on anything as we get closer to deciding what was the greatest set in MK9 history!

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Imagine if our community didn't decide to move to random stage select and we can still counter pick the stage lol.

I miss watching DJT and MIT mop people at their backyard that is EVO.

Jeremy KO

*insert kotal kahn gibberish here*
Imagine if our community didn't decide to move to random stage select and we can still counter pick the stage lol.

I miss watching DJT and MIT mop people at their backyard that is EVO.
fuuuck that no way that was so annoying. Plus with random stage there is greater visual variety in spectating. So many great stages in MK9 were never seen in competitive play because of stupid stage counterpicking.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
I remember watching this great set. This was high level footsies and it was a chess match between two great player. But looking at it now the Stage counter picking was ridiculous. I can't believe we got away with that during most of MK9 life.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Also Boon pay attention to input bug ignoring down input, meter bug, random ignore buffer windows, random highs being mid, kung lao teleport 3 broken as fuck high that hit mid on half the cast, random block stun, random frame advantage, etc, etc.

More than half of these are still in mkx.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Reminder that during EVO 2013 REO's Kabal was actually rusted but he started to warm up as the tournament went further down.

It was crazy.