What's new

Discussion Risk/Reward Matrix

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
So, lately iv been interested in the idea of the risk/reward matrix. If you're not familiar it is based on four different scenarios:
1. Low risk, low reward
2. High risk, high reward
3. Low risk, high reward
4. High risk, low reward
I have been trying to relate this to a lot of situations in my life, including something as silly as games like MKX. Out of these four situations, where does your playstyle fall in?, and how do you use your choice of character to fit this? Odviously 3 is the most ideal but rare, but being human and all, you are likely to end up taking an unnecessary risk. I don't want this to be a tier discussion because the patch is still pretty fresh, but more how you evaluate what to do while you play. I'm not sure what I'm trying to say exactly... I'm just wondering if you guys ever think about this in MKX.

Last edited:
So, lately iv been interested in the idea of the risk/reward matrix. If you're not familiar it is based on four different scenarios:
1. Low risk, low reward
3. Low risk, high reward
4. High risk, low reward
I have been trying to relate this to a lot of situations in my life, including something as silly as games like MKX. Out of these four situations, where does your playstyle fall in?, and how do you use your choice of character to fit this? Odviously 1 is the most ideal but rare, but being human and all, you are likely to end up taking an unnecessary risk. I don't want this to be a tier discussion because the patch is still pretty fresh, but more how you evaluate what to do while you play. I'm not sure what I'm trying to say exactly... I'm just wondering if you guys ever think about this in MKX.
Wouldn't be 3. the most ideal, because you would invest just low risk and still get the high reward?

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Can i say all 4?

With my family and friends and life in general never high risk low reward. I'm. Not comfortable with the affects and results that would hurt and disappointment.

MKXL... Same thing because I don't want to disappoint myself. I want to win with honor and lose with dignity.

That's my style.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
1. Low risk, low reward
3. Low risk, high reward
4. High risk, low reward
I have been trying to relate this to a lot of situations in my life, including something as silly as games like MKX. Out of these four situations, where does your playstyle fall in?, and how do you use your choice of character to fit this? Odviously 1 is the most ideal but rare, but being human and all, you are likely to end up taking an unnecessary risk. I don't want this to be a tier discussion because the patch is still pretty fresh, but more how you evaluate what to do while you play. I'm not sure what I'm trying to say exactly... I'm just wondering if you guys ever think about this in MKX.
Very interesting post!
This would be a nice way to classify characters in any game, indeed.

In general, I'm not a guy that likes to take risks. If I was only able to choose one, I would stay in class number 1 (obviously number 3 is the best, but I hate tops xD)

Israfel

Designer for BxA
My Life at the moment seems to be high risk/low reward. I try to play as close low risk/high reward as possible but I play Quan Chi and sometimes you just gotta YOLO Skydrop.