What's new

Reptiles Underrated Footsies: F2, d4,and f3 shenanigans

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I am posting this because i think this is one of reptiles best tools and and i hardly see anyone use them. I am tired of people saying reptile has no use of footsies and is brain dead with the dash. For the last month or so i have heavilly incorporated these two moves in two my moveset and they have honestly improved my game amazingly like no other..

lets start with the f2 which i think is his most underrated move in the game..It has ridiculous range as it covers more ground than his d4 and for its range is decently quick at 15 frames.
most importantly though you can cancel it into any of reptiles specials!! I know this is alrady known but i dont think people understand how good of a tool this is especially at reptiles "deadzone" where he is too close to dash and out of d4 range..

at this range a quick dash in and a f2 unravels a whole new world of mindgames. you can f2 cancel into invis for crazier mindgames and to condition them no to block after, you can f2 into ex ffb which will catch them if they tried to jump and even if they block it will leave you at plus 3 at d3 range, you can cancel it into an acid hand for a safe overhead and reset the footsies situation, you can cancel into ex acid hand for a nice overhead mixup combo, you can cancel into slide to condition them to block low, and obviously you can just follow through with the f2 b1 which is an overhead..

this is just too good of a tool to ignore..

lets say you want to play it safer and want to go in with a d4 instead. thats fine and can work out even better.. on hit d4 is plus 12 frames.. unfortunately on hit the push back is too great and if you want to follow up with a 321 or 122 you have to dash in which wastes more time and manytimes they can escape... instead you can follow up immideately with a f2 and start the mindgames all over again..

luckily d4 is 0 on block and reptiles especially has great push back so many times even on block at almost d4 max distance yo ucan follow up with f2 but is obviously more risky..

Now for the f3... curiously f3 has exactly the same reach as his d4. after a d4 if you see them trying to jump out a lot you can do f3 1+2 for a nice 13% and a hard knock down for great oki pressure.. on hit the opponent cannot jump out of the f2 or the f3 keep that in mind. obviously you can also just go in straight with the f3 without the d4s as well but i personally prefer the f2.. also the f3 is -3 on block with great push back so it is completely safe..

Reptiles d4 imo is top 3 best in the game because it lowers your hitbox soo much where you cant be jp, you can cancel it into anyting, and it has great range and pushback on block and hit.. I just want to quickly not that on block d4 is very safe so dont be so shy with your d4s and with the push back, unless youre at very close range or if you just completelly whiff it, even if it is block you can throw another one out.. many times because of this people will cross you up. When this happens I d4 again right before they jp me making it whiff and it will look like you are vulnerable but you can dash right after and it will beat out anyting they do.. just another neat strategy people should keep in mind.

i hope all reptile players start incorporating these tools into their footsies game if they have not done so yet. I am sure some of you have been doing this for a while but maybe for some it has slipped their mind and this will help them out..

P.S. quick question about the frame data. For the duration it says that f2 is 15 frames but f2b1 is 9... can some one explain that to me please, thanks

I am posting this because i think this is one of reptiles best tools and and i hardly see anyone use them. I am tired of people saying reptile has no use of footsies and is brain dead with the dash. For the last month or so i have heavilly incorporated these two moves in two my moveset and they have honestly improved my game amazingly like no other..

lets start with the f2 which i think is his most underrated move in the game..It has ridiculous range as it covers more ground than his d4 and for its range is decently quick at 15 frames.
most importantly though you can cancel it into any of reptiles specials!! I know this is alrady known but i dont think people understand how good of a tool this is especially at reptiles "deadzone" where he is too close to dash and out of d4 range..

at this range a quick dash in and a f2 unravels a whole new world of mindgames. you can f2 cancel into invis for crazier mindgames and to condition them no to block after, you can f2 into ex ffb which will catch them if they tried to jump and even if they block it will leave you at plus 3 at d3 range, you can cancel it into an acid hand for a safe overhead and reset the footsies situation, you can cancel into ex acid hand for a nice overhead mixup combo, you can cancel into slide to condition them to block low, and obviously you can just follow through with the f2 b1 which is an overhead..

this is just too good of a tool to ignore..

lets say you want to play it safer and want to go in with a d4 instead. thats fine and can work out even better.. on hit d4 is plus 12 frames.. unfortunately on hit the push back is too great and if you want to follow up with a 321 or 122 you have to dash in which wastes more time and manytimes they can escape... instead you can follow up immideately with a f2 and start the mindgames all over again..

luckily d4 is 0 on block and reptiles especially has great push back so many times even on block at almost d4 max distance yo ucan follow up with f2 but is obviously more risky..

Now for the f3... curiously f3 has exactly the same reach as his d4. after a d4 if you see them trying to jump out a lot you can do f3 1+2 for a nice 13% and a hard knock down for great oki pressure.. on hit the opponent cannot jump out of the f2 or the f3 keep that in mind. obviously you can also just go in straight with the f3 without the d4s as well but i personally prefer the f2.. also the f3 is -3 on block with great push back so it is completely safe..

Reptiles d4 imo is top 3 best in the game because it lowers your hitbox soo much where you cant be jp, you can cancel it into anyting, and it has great range and pushback on block and hit.. I just want to quickly not that on block d4 is very safe so dont be so shy with your d4s and with the push back, unless youre at very close range or if you just completelly whiff it, even if it is block you can throw another one out.. many times because of this people will cross you up. When this happens I d4 again right before they jp me making it whiff and it will look like you are vulnerable but you can dash right after and it will beat out anyting they do.. just another neat strategy people should keep in mind.

i hope all reptile players start incorporating these tools into their footsies game if they have not done so yet. I am sure some of you have been doing this for a while but maybe for some it has slipped their mind and this will help them out..

P.S. quick question about the frame data. For the duration it says that f2 is 15 frames but f2b1 is 9... can some one explain that to me please, thanks
Good post.

I believe the 9f refers to the frames between t2 b1

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Your right,F2 is a good move and I've been using it lately.I mainly use it at the start of the round and try to follow it up with a forceball or something.It works out for me quite well in most occasions.But sometimes i get blown up when they jump to the other side of me while Im doing the f2 but it rarely happens.And as far as reptile being brain dead and have no use of footsies,I think people have to use reptile to understand him.Out of all the reptiles I've fought against ever since the game came out,I've never fought one who just abused the dash and that was all he did.And if he did,then he wasn't blowing me up with it.Just block it and punish it with your fastest move and go from there.Everyone think it's ok to spam a wall of projectiles at reptiles and yes it's a smart thing to do to keep him out of your face but get mad when you land a dash on them.It's what makes him great just like any other character and their god-like move.Sometimes I don't even dash for a round or two just to see what it would be like if he didn't have the dash.It's pretty boring and feels so much slower.Good post by the way.

Mattman

Warlock Nerd
Your right,F2 is a good move and I've been using it lately.I mainly use it at the start of the round and try to follow it up with a forceball or something.It works out for me quite well in most occasions.But sometimes i get blown up when they jump to the other side of me while Im doing the f2 but it rarely happens.And as far as reptile being brain dead and have no use of footsies,I think people have to use reptile to understand him.Out of all the reptiles I've fought against ever since the game came out,I've never fought one who just abused the dash and that was all he did.And if he did,then he wasn't blowing me up with it.Just block it and punish it with your fastest move and go from there.Everyone think it's ok to spam a wall of projectiles at reptiles and yes it's a smart thing to do to keep him out of your face but get mad when you land a dash on them.It's what makes him great just like any other character and their god-like move.Sometimes I don't even dash for a round or two just to see what it would be like if he didn't have the dash.It's pretty boring and feels so much slower.Good post by the way.
me too, i cant remember ever getting beat for the first hit when i use F2 at the start of a match. its gdlk. in fact, every one of Reptiles command normals are awesome. a string that i know i dont use enough is 32b4. everyone always expects the string to be completed or followed with acid hand so its something that can probably catch them off guard every once in a while

me too, i cant remember ever getting beat for the first hit when i use F2 at the start of a match. its gdlk. in fact, every one of Reptiles command normals are awesome. a string that i know i dont use enough is 32b4. everyone always expects the string to be completed or followed with acid hand so its something that can probably catch them off guard every once in a while
I've never seen anyone use 32b4.I forget that move even exist until I randomly go to his move list.Yea the b4 hit's low and I can actually see that move throwing your opponent off.I forgot all about that move.Im glad you brought it up.

Mattman

Warlock Nerd
I've never seen anyone use 32b4.I forget that move even exist until I randomly go to his move list.Yea the b4 hit's low and I can actually see that move throwing your opponent off.I forgot all about that move.Im glad you brought it up.
yeah, the downside to it is that the b4 is slow and can probably be fuzzy guarded easily. im also not sure about the spacing after the knockdown. does anyone know if Reptile gets up fast enough to elbow dash past the opponent and fuck up their wakeup inputs, or even if he's close enough to d4 and stuff the wakeup?

yeah, the downside to it is that the b4 is slow and can probably be fuzzy guarded easily. im also not sure about the spacing after the knockdown. does anyone know if Reptile gets up fast enough to elbow dash past the opponent and fuck up their wakeup inputs, or even if he's close enough to d4 and stuff the wakeup?
I guess as long as you don't use it often it should be good.when you do ah a few time they won't expect the b4 .As far as how fast he get up,I think your opponent would have enough time to realize he can punish you somehow.Im not sure.I've never did it in an actual game.