What's new

Move List - Reptile Reptiles Acid Puddle

Does anyone think it's weird that Reptiles Acid Puddle was never changed in the patches? Especially since we seen what Alien can do in his acidic variation. Keep in mind Alien can do some great damage with his acid set up's and can use his throw effectively in the acid to really do some damage. Yet with Reptile, you have to spend a bar of meter to get his Acid Puddle out. Also his Acid Puddle doesn't even hurt your opponent when they're grounded. I'm curious to see what changes or suggestions you would like to see happen with his Acid Puddle. Cause in my opinion the special move is almost not worth using unless if you have your opponent trapped in the corner after a set up. Even then the pay off isn't that great. What are your thoughts on Reptiles Acid Puddle. Do you think it should be changed? Or do you think the move is fine the way it is now?

Last edited:

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
its fine as is, its an option that has a niche use, its not like you are losing anything by having it

PlatypusVortex

15 time Evo champion
Yeah i never use it. Id really like to find a use for it but i play noxious and i get the same effect with ex gas except with the added benefit of being able to follow my opponent around with the dot. I dunno maybe theres a reason to use it in the other variations but in noxious it feels pretty pointless.

Themata94

They're comin' outta the Goddamn walls!
It's been discussed and concluded that in works as intended regarding being grounded etc in previous conversions on the forum, as far as active hurtboxes/hitboxes and the height of the puddle hitbox go any way. It's a misconception that it isn't and I think @G4S J360 presented the best case for it with his Erron Black caltrops comparison in another thread! That's mostly dispelling the expectation that it should do damage when they're grounded; Erron's caltrops do damage during his command grab and throw because it's intended that the hitbox is active, they don't do damage when the opponent is generally grounded.

With acidic I believe you only take DoT based on the acid that hit you while you were standing/restood so it only looks like you're taking it while knocked down, or if you are standing in it and e.g. thrown (similar situation to Erron there), if you're just lying down in a puddle you aren't taking damage from that itself.

Either way it isn't a cornerstone of any Reptile variation (although it could have been were it Noxious-specific like Alien's acid blood, in which case it may have been a more powerful tool that stopped runs, restood like his spray in MK9 etc).

huh

Noob
Does anyone use it?

I know that in Nimble, it is possible to make it safe in the corner. But every setup I come up with ends up leaving a lot of damage on the table, and not being worth.

ex: in the corner (nimble) f412 ex dd3 f4 spit f4 spit f4 spit, f41 puddle – 40% (instead of the full combo for 50%)

You give up 10% damage to put the puddle out safely. And so goes for every setup I try. If there was a setup that could sacrifice around 5% damage, I would go for the puddle, but Im not aware of one...

So, anyone has something?

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I use it to bait unsafe wakeups, that is about it, works midscreen or in the corner with a 14 or 123 ender (123 ender only in the corner)

PlatypusVortex

15 time Evo champion
Lately ive been thinking about maybe using it as a tool to control space. Like say if you had your back to the corner against a character like Johnny Cage you could put it out and try zoning him out a little since he has to get in to do anything and would have to either wait the puddle out or go in and sacrifice some life.
Honestly though it just never feels worth it to use it. If reptile wasn't so meter hungry than maybe it would be justifiable but as it stands now its just best to ignore it.

PlatypusVortex

15 time Evo champion
So i was dicking around with acid puddle last night (i really want to find some uses for it) and noticed a couple things. One is its a lot safer to do after a klaw swipe than i thought it would be. I tested it against sub zeros ex slide with and without tech roll on and it was safe. And two i had assumed that if you started a combo over it that the dot would stop due to them not touching the ground anymore. It actually added another 5 to 6% to the combos i tried. I guess the hit box extends a bit above the ground.

I'm going to look into it more tonight and see if i can find a viable strategy to use it in.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
It's always "some other character can do something similar to my character, and although their gameplans are worlds apart I don't think it's fair and it should be changed".

Reptiles acid puddle is fine, go noxious and if you play your corner mix ups right you can end up w puddle down and stink active.

Zaccel

Noob
It's always "some other character can do something similar to my character, and although their gameplans are worlds apart I don't think it's fair and it should be changed".

Reptiles acid puddle is fine, go noxious and if you play your corner mix ups right you can end up w puddle down and stink active.
I'd prefer "useful" over "fine".

It's not that it needs to achieve parity with a similar attack--but taken with Reptile's own options and general urge for meter, EX df1 isn't worth splurging on when guaranteed damage is on deck. Even if I had the meter to burn and the time to set it up, I'd prefer holding onto it for breaker/EX db2 or a corner f4xxEXbf4/f412xxbf2 mixup or something.

Just from my experience the move isn't worth using. Sure if your opponent barely has health and you set it up in the corner it can kill. But it still doesn't do to much. I was talking to PigOfTheHutt about the Acid Puddle in his stream. He agrees the move is shit and it doesn't do enough for using the meter.

Last edited:

PlatypusVortex

15 time Evo champion
Just from my experience the move isn't worth using. Sure if your opponent barely has health and you set it up in the corner it can kill. But it still doesn't do to much. I was talking to PigOfTheHutt about the Acid Puddle in his stream. He agrees the move is shit and it doesn't do enough for using the meter.
I dunno ive kind of changed my mind on it after labbing it out more. Its just very situational. Its mostly for either taking a round in the corner or causing someone to panic and do something stupid. Its just not as useful as some of the other tools he has but it shouldn't be written off completely.

TamedLizard

Buff George
Like RyRy, I mostly use it for baiting and that's only really in Noxious. Noxious just has a bit more play room with meter.

I don't think it's bad, but I would personally prefer MK9's lol.