What's new

Match-up Discussion Reptile vs. Cyrax

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Ok so I am putting in one of my little pieces for the Reptile MU project started by Treadmill. Now I am going to go about this discussion a little bit differently than Seapeople did, however he wrote up a fantastic thread for the Cage MU. I am just going to post a general strategy as to how you should play the character, and if anyone has any further questions they would like answered or specific problems they need help with, they can ask and I will give the best reply I can. If I can't answer, which I most definitely should be able to do, I will go to another fine Reptile player who might be better equipped to answer. Also, if anyone else has anything they would like to add please do so, or if there is anything that you feel might need to be corrected please let me know. Since this is a community project I want the community to participate and not just me telling you how to play the MU the way I do. The idea behind this project is to gain a better understanding of how to handle tougher MU's, and I believe the best way to do that is to communicate ideas, tools and ideas that other players use to help them with said MU's. Now on to the goods.

UP CLOSE:
You really don't want to be here as Reptile, anywhere from sweep range to point blank puts this match heavily in Cyrax's favor. However when this does occur you will obviously need to know how to handle it so first thing is first...Don't dash unless you are just willing to burn the meter to get some temporary advantage or punishing. The risk highly outweighs the reward for it in this MU when you are this close for multiple reasons. Whether it's him throwing out a raw net a just before it and catching you for a nasty combo, or just because he read you and blocks it for a nasty combo...just know that you don't want to die, so you don't want to dash.You have to play footsies very cautiously, be aware of the range of all of Cyrax's pokes and normals and try to you yours to counter them. Cyrax has all your moves beat in the speed department, however Reptile has a lot more range on a lot of his normals. You're best tool up close is d4 using it correctly can get you out of a lot of sticky situations. At point blank it doesn't do much good but right outside of his poke ranges it's good for counterpoking/whiff punishing. If you happen to be right outside of his standing 1's range standing 3 is great for stuffing a lot of his moves. Just a reminder that when doing all of this you can't forget about net EVER. Always be cautious of it, it's always a threat for Reptile up close. If the opponent likes to do ragdolls into d1 ragdolls, if you know it's coming block the d1 and dash him.

MID RANGE:

Reptile can handle himself a little better once gets into jump/elbow dash whiff range, but still needs to play patiently because the match stills sways a little in Cyrax's favor imo. He is going to do everything in his power to either catch you with a bomb/net, or just get you to come back in. Don't fall for the bomb traps, if you see him chuck a bomb you get a free dash and punish, so keep him in check with this tactic. He will start to rely more on trying to net trap you. One move I recommend you don't use at all during this matchup unless the one hit you will actually get kills is ex slide. Unless you just straight up know you are about to be hit by a bomb or will kill him I this move isn't good at all in this MU due the way Cyrax hitbox changes while throwing out nets and bombs. He also has bomb set ups specifically designed to take advantage of this and get full combo punishes. So just try your best to stay clear of using it. Forceballs and spit are still kind of risky at this range so if you do use it, do so sparingly. Ex forceballs are ok, but let's not forget that you might need breaker later on otherwise you might die.

LONG RANGE:

For the most part this is the area where Reptile can be Reptile for a while lol. Just always play cautiously and have your breaker ready just in case. Full screen is where things get easier for Reptile and Cyrax has to start adjusting his game a lot more. You have all your zoning tools at your disposal as long as you mind nets you will be able to control space a lot more freely. Do your best to convert any fb's on hit into full combos, because this is the time where you want to take advantage of your position on screen as much as possible. You can also try to bait nets by dashing when he throws out a bomb and jumping over for punishes, however remember that all he needs to do is delay when he throws it out and you are the one being punished, so this is a bit risky.

One last thing I want to mention again is to always have those two bars of meter with you no matter what, because you don't want to eat those combos. Reptile can play this matchup without meter anyway. Also, backthrow as often as you can in this MU because it puts him full screen and you get at least one free projectile. Alright guys feel free to add whatever you want or ask any questions you might have here about the MU and I will do my best to answer, and I hope this was helpful.

Another important point is that when cyrax doesn't have meter, reptile is winning at that point.
Umbreakable damage is not your friend here.
Good write up joker! I feel that many other reptiles feel this is a terrible match because they don't know how to go about it.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Another important point is that when cyrax doesn't have meter, reptile is winning at that point.
Umbreakable damage is not your friend here.
Good write up joker! I feel that many other reptiles feel this is a terrible match because they don't know how to go about it.
This is somewhat true, it once again depends on where you on on screen if you ask me. Up close he still has the upper hand with his great footsies and fast normals he has no problem building meter back. Everywhere else though Reptile can breathe a little easier for a while.

This is somewhat true, it once again depends on where you on on screen if you ask me. Up close he still has the upper hand with his great footsies and fast normals he has no problem building meter back. Everywhere else though Reptile can breathe a little easier for a while.
True that, true that.
Being smart is a big part of this match-up. And that's why we are here; to help those who want the smarts.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
God I hate this matchup, I honestly think it's Reptile's worst.

It's so hard to try and zone without trading with net, and stupid Cyrax always gets the full combo on a trade because of teleport.

Seriously I don't think Reptile wins at any point in this matchup.

Another really shitty thing about this matchup is that Reptile doesn't have any good meterless punishes for Teleport. Everything into Forceball whiffs, so I think the best is something weird like 321 xx Elbow Dash > 321 xx Slide or something, I've never really practiced it. Honestly I just do 2 F3 1+2.

EGP Wonder_Chef

what about d4?
I have no idea btw... i'm just tossing moves out there.

If you can't combo off his teleport... there is no way this isn't his worse matchup by far.
I've tried EVERYTHING

nothing after 12, d1, standing 4, d4, 2, 1, nothing

I even tried doing a straight forceball as a punish.

Technically the best we have is 321 xx Elbow Dash > 321 xx Slide for 21% which isn't too bad I guess.

EGP Wonder_Chef

I wish I would have known this before I tried using him against Gruntypants..... :( lol.
oh and to make this matchup even worse, you can't EN slide to punish nets/bombs. His hitbox goes super weird and it causes the 2nd hit of EN Slide to whiff allowing him to roll, and get up with a net for a full combo.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
J360 and I play this matchup all day long.... We both frustrate the shit out of each other but I'd say its 6-4 in Cyrax favor.

Reptile really just has to lame out Cyrax and be very patient or else you have no chance. If he throws a bomb on the screen, spit and then advance. Spit won't allow him to open up his chest and you recover in time to jump from a bomb.

J360 and I play this matchup all day long.... We both frustrate the shit out of each other but I'd say its 6-4 in Cyrax favor.

Reptile really just has to lame out Cyrax and be very patient or else you have no chance. If he throws a bomb on the screen, spit and then advance. Spit won't allow him to open up his chest and you recover in time to jump from a bomb.
I've been using this method as well. It's pretty lame.. but then again a bomb spamming Cyrax is even lamer. The MU isn't very engaging and is pretty dull really.

MastererBetty

Your Tears My Strength
Couple things that have worked for me in the past.

EX Slide can blow up the net, but only if you're confident in going in without 2 meter for break. It does plant the idea in the opoonent's head that he might try it again so they might be tossing nets as much

Pretty much be blocking low on wakeup if you're anywhere near range of Cyrax EX leg toss move

Yeah big part of winning this matchup is staying full range and dancing around bombs, eventually you might catch him from a elbow dash jump in, but then thats where the mixups can come in and hopefully catch him slipping

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Couple things that have worked for me in the past.

EX Slide can blow up the net, but only if you're confident in going in without 2 meter for break. It does plant the idea in the opoonent's head that he might try it again so they might be tossing nets as much

Pretty much be blocking low on wakeup if you're anywhere near range of Cyrax EX leg toss move

Yeah big part of winning this matchup is staying full range and dancing around bombs, eventually you might catch him from a elbow dash jump in, but then thats where the mixups can come in and hopefully catch him slipping
You DO NOT want to ex slide nets or bombs, the last hits will whiff and he can full combo punish you, which means death or breaker. So if you have three bars and you don't mind losing them all or eating 80%+ then it's fine, but for me I highly discourage it.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2