What's new

Reptile Videos - 2 New Resets, 62% Wall Combo

Noob
I've been a lurker on these forums and haven't had a reason to post until now. Over the past 3 weeks or so I've been spending a lot of time in the lab with Reptile and recording my findings and posting them as a series of videos meant to help those who would like to use Reptile. I came up with a couple guaranteed resets and a new highest damage wall combo. Hope you enjoy.

RepTech Pt. IIa - Poke Cancels, Dash Mixups and Invisibility Pressure

RepTech Pt. IIb - The Vomit Trap Reset

RepTech Pt. IIc - Combos and Resets

Hate to burst your bubble dude, but that "Vomit Trap" there doesn't actually work. I was actually messing around with Reptile a while back looking at the exact same thing and thought I had discovered something. It is nothing more than smoke and mirrors though...just a trick. Although it looks like its a reset, the opponent can actually block the forceball while your spewing acid on them, reptile will still be doing his spewing acid animation while the opponent will still be free to move. Reptile is left at a huge disadvantage if this happens. If you have it set to autoblock, then its just the computer ai being stupid. If you don't believe me then do your usual combo, then pause while you are spewing acid on the opponent as that forceball is coming then set the opponent to all block and watch them block the force ball. Any human can block this in reality.

Noob
Damn, that definitely sucks. At what point during the Acid Stream animation are they able to block? Or are they automatically given the ability to block as soon as he forceball hits?

Its very weird...it looks like they can't block because they are getting hit by the acid stream...but the very second that acid stream hits them, they are allowed to block IF AND ONLY IF something else hits them during it (like that forceball). It is very different from Cyrax's reset, as in it only works if your oppononent doesn't know how it works. Cyrax's reset works cause his bomb is an unblockable...

Noob
I tested it before and couldn't block it, but I believe you. Maybe I'll have to invest more time into the Elbow Dash Reset because I'm almost 100% sure that works. I get what you're saying about how it would only work if the opponent doesn't know how to stop it, but that also goes for Sub-Zero's claw reset and that is useful. I guess if anything it could be used for setting up relative resets i.e. dash in and throw/mix it up after the forceball.

Sub Zero's reset is useful because if they choose not to move to negate the freeze of the unblockable, the Sub Zero can dash forward and get a 2, 2, freeze to start the rest over again. Reptile's "reset" can be escaped with no way of counter, unlike Sub Zero's. I think I missed the "Elbow Dash Reset"...was that in the third video?

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Maybe I'll have to invest more time into the Elbow Dash Reset because I'm almost 100% sure that works.
I can confirm that the EX elbow dash works in the reset; I haven't had a lot of luck landing it however but it does indeed work.

The only Reset of Reptile's I'm aware of is using forward + 3, 1 + 2 after certain air juggles which only works if the opponent blocks the last hit as Reptile is left at big advantage seemingly. Though the opponent can always just eat the last hit and take 7% damage but its a win-win for reptile either way.

Noob
Sub Zero's reset is useful because if they choose not to move to negate the freeze of the unblockable, the Sub Zero can dash forward and get a 2, 2, freeze to start the rest over again. Reptile's "reset" can be escaped with no way of counter, unlike Sub Zero's. I think I missed the "Elbow Dash Reset"...was that in the third video?
It was in an earlier video and also at the very beginning of the one explaining the Vomit Trap. Also what I mean about this possibly still having uses despite not being a guaranteed reset is that you can easily time the Acid Stream to end before the Slow Mega Ball reaches the opponent. At this point they only have four options: 1. Block 2. Jump over it (if they have time) 3. Teleport (if they have time) or 4. X-Ray or use an EX move with armor to stop it from launching. Contingencies exist for all of these situations, many of which would justify the two bars that the setup requires.

Believe me, I've thought of trying to time the Acid Stream so that the Forceball hits at the very end of it. The animation for Acid Stream is just way too long...every situation in trying to do it just leaves Reptile in a frame disadvantage for the cost of 2 bars of meter. Unless you find something I overlooked, I really don't think there is any use for it, unfortunately.

Noob
Believe me, I've thought of trying to time the Acid Stream so that the Forceball hits at the very end of it. The animation for Acid Stream is just way too long...every situation in trying to do it just leaves Reptile in a frame disadvantage for the cost of 2 bars of meter. Unless you find something I overlooked, I really don't think there is any use for it, unfortunately.
I completely understand what you're saying, I'm going to look into it later tonight to get a feel for the disadvantage and post my findings. Hopefully I can salvage something usable out of it.

I guess for information's sake I'll post my other videos in this thread as well. Of particular interest I think is the Slide Start combo in Pt. Ia, it's slow forceball setup that gives Reptile a low launcher.

RepTech Pt. Ia - Slow Mega Ball

RepTech Pt. Ib - Combos, Resets, Impracticals and Impossibles

RepTech Pt. Ic - Slide Start Resets

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Pretty good videos. Some of that stuff looked kind of questionable. Anyways I loved the Killer Instinct sound track. CLASSIC!!!!!

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Also 3,2,1- EX slow forceball-elbow dash (wiff)-3,2,1-elbow dash (wiff)-slide is an excellent pressure tatic and leads to over 45% combos midscreen. I use it all the time and for only one meter it is a sure fire winner.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
One other tatic that I use to really drive people into the corner is the EX slide after an elbow dash. If you end combos with the 3,2,1 chain combo you can elbow dash (wiff) then EX slide. If you do it to early it will wiff under them and if you do it to late you will wiff over them. However, if you time it right you will slide kick them in the direction you were going and it will not flip positions with the opponent like it noramlly does. I use this alot to start a match and put them in the corner.

Example: (ROUND 1 FIGHT) Jump in combo punch-1,2,2-slow forceball-njp-3,2-fast forcball-3,2,1-elbow dash (wiff)-EX slide. If you do this correctly at the start of the match not only does it do good damage but it drives them all the way into the corner for some wake-up pressure.