What's new

Video/Tutorial - Reptile Reptile basic option select tutorial

HatecraftsWife

Day 1 grill
Seeing tons of posts asking about this on these forums, so he threw together a really quick beginners video explaining Reptile's option selects. This is one of Reptile's most used pieces of tech, and a huge part of his game plan.

Basically, you press down after you input your special. On block, the unsafe special doesn't come out, leaving you safe. On hit, you confirm into a full combo.

mamasau

Noob
I quote myself from another thread about os, maybe can help to find and test the OS mechanics for learning purpose:

OS are actually easier than you can think: to have an OS cancel you just need to put only one input direction after the special you want to cancel to.

I take the string 123 for example because it's easy to perform his OS select, in reality you don't want OS this string because it's unsafe.

Tools you need:
df3(forceball)
any direction input

Full input:
12, df3(forceball), direction(forward because in this case is easier, already done down-forward for the forceball).
Result:
12 into forceball, if not blocking;
regular 123 string if blocking.

I also tried "f3, forceball, forward" without adding any other inputs, it works, but the timing is more strict.
Result:
forceball if not blocking;
back to neutral stance after f3 if blocking.

Again try 123 OS to learn the mechanics, it seems to me hit advantage gives you an important info if a string/input is easily OS cancelable or not.
"12" has adv of +15f, and indeed you can easily do the OS fb.
"f3" has +7f adv, it's already strict to perform.
"f41" with OS df1(acid) after "f4" it's impossible for me; f4 has -2f adv.

Last edited:

Swoops

Noob
I appreciate the tutorial, but does anyone have any other tips for this?

I feel like I've been at this for forever in training mode, trying all the timings I can think of, and it still doesn't work for me. It always comes out on block, whether I'm holding/pressing down or pressing another button or something. The only way it doesn't come out on block is if I straight up missed the input.

Any input would be appreciated, as this seems pretty vital to learn >.<

Gravelands

Cory, Trevor, smokes. Let's go.
I appreciate the tutorial, but does anyone have any other tips for this?

I feel like I've been at this for forever in training mode, trying all the timings I can think of, and it still doesn't work for me. It always comes out on block, whether I'm holding/pressing down or pressing another button or something. The only way it doesn't come out on block is if I straight up missed the input.

Any input would be appreciated, as this seems pretty vital to learn >.<
The issue I was having originally were my inputs:

123df3f instead of 12df3f

Once I realized that the full string consists of 123 and the forceball special consists of df3, I realized that it's the 3 and the fact that the string ends with 3 that makes the OS work. Couldn't quite get it to work w/ Klaw Swipe or anything else (not saying it isn't possible though), but 12df3f works for me on block each time at this point. See if maybe that's your issue? Otherwise the timing is pretty lightning, as the two hits from the 12 input will be done before you've even finished the rest of it if you're too slow.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I find using BBB for the B3/F3 OSes are much more consistent and easier to do.

For the F412 xx Elbow Dash and the 34 xx EX Swipe OSes, do DD. I posted videos on each OSes I just mentioned in the General discussion thread it should be on the most recent page. Can't quote myself atm because I'm on mobile