What's new

Regarding the issues people have with the hotfixes and patch updates

R00KI30FTH3Y3AR

(S)teel (V)alley (K)ombat
So I've been hearing murmurs in the fighting game community that one of the most consistent issues they have with MK as of late is all the patching that's going on since the game has come out. I realize that a few months is a relatively short amount of time to be making so many radical changes to the game, but let's consider the whole picture from a game play, and even franchise perspective before this whole thing gets blow too far out of proportion.

First and foremost among the pro-patch issues had to be the broken damage scaling on some characters and serious damage glitches. Since this is a well-informed MK fan-site, I won't bother to waste you guys' time with the details except for the major cases. Kung-Lao's teleport infinite/Cyrax's bomb trap(I felt like they could've kept that one in with a damage nerf, personally. After seeing the new Cyrax, though, he seems to be much more versatile now. A better overall character than he was before, because now people are being forced to use all of Cyrax's tools to marvelous effect.)/Kabal's block infinite to name the most prominent among them all. These were some serious issues that needed to be fixed in order for the game to maintain an overall longer lifespan than it would've had without them. I understand that it means players will have to continually revise how they play with these characters, but that only brings me to the second part of my argument as to why we should be glad NRS is taking the time to get this done right in the long haul.

So, I remember before MK9 came out how everyone was all about a new 2D MK, reminiscing about the arcade glory days of MK2 and UMK3, but here's something I don't see anyone recalling from that era: The constant revisions the arcade units would undergo several months after the game had come out. For the first MK you had the 9.0 prototype/1.0/2.0/4.0(The first version with Reptile, I hear, which started the whole secret character trend. A major part of Mortal Kombat as we know it today.).4.0 T-Unit version/5.0 T-Unit as the final, official arcade release. It's the old days for us arcade-era fans right down to the "T". I can remember personally playing the various revisions of MK4 at my local arcade, but the main point is this: Imagine where this game will be if they continue to update and patch at the rate they have been. Could you imagine what possibilities await us if we made it to the hypothetical MK9 version 5.0? Please hold on, O.Heads and newcomers alike, we're almost there.

Most importantly, we're the only...let me repeat that, ONLY fighting game community to get this kind of immediate response from the developers themselves directly with as prompt a response as they can manage. For as long as the competitive fighting game scene has existed, this has never happened before! I mean, they're going to every major MK tourney to talk to the players in person! It's getting to be such a big deal, now capcom is even trying to jump on the bandwagon and get a little more active with their games and potential patches. These patches and hotfixes are like moving out of a house, sure you lose some things along the way, but I guarantee you by the time you're finished with the whole process, there's more to gain than lose.

Vulcan Hades

Warrior
I agree with you.

I never understood why people complain about the changes NRS made so far because 95% of them seem pretty fair to me. Except a few things that were uncalled for (damage nerfs on lower tier characters and random armor on S tier chars).

Also, none of these changes are permanent. Even if NRS makes a mistake and buffs or nerfs a character too much, they can still go back and change it back (just like they did with the Kano up ball). So it's all good imo. I really like the way NRS is handling and supporting MK9 so far. It shows they really care about the competitive scene.

Plus tbh I kinda like having this sort of evolving meta game. People adapt to buff/nerfs. And we see more diversity and exiting tournaments.

Obviously it would be nice to have a stable version at some point. But we're getting there.

wow, great read! i agree also

people complain about patches but don't realize that it adds to the longevity of the game. You have to realize with all the previous MK disasters that they are putting every ounce of effort to make this game a dominant force in the fighting game community and giving great feedback to the competitive players without succumbing to the complaints from most of the online scrubs.