What's new

Really hard time doing combos with Cage

so i picked this game up on day one and have just been playing without "real" combos. this is the second fighting game i have ever played and i only played ssf4 for a few months, so i consider myself i noob with fighting games. i really want to get into the fighting community and get good at mk9 but i just cant learn any combos. i like cage the best and i can do some midscreens but i only get halfway though the combo before i mess it up. right now my best combos does 26% damage which is pretty bad. i have been working for about a total of 3 hours in the lab with just cage and cant learn any of his combos. its very frustrating and i was wondering if any one has tips and knows generally how long it takes to get a combo down. Thanks.

Jiendo

Noob
First off there's already a thread about this sort of thing its called the "Ask Johnny Cage Thread" But no biggie im still fairly new to MK myself (the serious side of it) but ive played Tekken and Street fighter a fair bit (tekken more) so im no stranger to fighting games (SF never really a high level Tekken damn near religiously)

http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?2678-GUIDE-Johnny-Cage&

This here gives you the buttons for all of Cages combos. that you really need to know. Over time you might come up with better ones, I know for a fact there are more damaging ones out there but these are some of the best (they average around 28% for a normal combo and about 35ish for a wall combo, Xray I don't remember 46ish I believe)

But it all comes down to how much time you want to put into learning them. These combo's arent easy (they look easy but getting the timing right on them is a pain, harder still to pop em out when your under pressure)

If you do want to learn look at that link and learn everything it says in there. The guy who wrote it is an amazing Johnny Cage player He can show you what Cage is made of

theres a clip to show you a Pro JC in action.

Hope this helps

thanks, I found that video very helpful. the combo TB kept doing was very simple and after an hour or so in the lab i have it on lock. that guide is pretty cool to. thanks again. But im still having some problems with the long combos, mainly the 35% + ones.

low_kix

Noob
I've been playing subz constantly, but I really wanna learn cage as well. Transitioning from a character that can do 30% plus and never have to juggle much to cage is pretty strange to say the least. He's def a juggle character, and that probably take the most accurate timing in this game. All in all, I have trouble getting those high damaging combos as well. So basically I'm just saying I feel your pain, haha

"I am vengeance, I am the night..."

Ianskie

Noob
amazing combos isn't what makes an amazing player. If you want to get really good at a fighting game you should first learn all of the basics and fundamentals of a character before stressing to much on your combo abilities for said character.

R.E.L.

Noob
amazing combos isn't what makes an amazing player. If you want to get really good at a fighting game you should first learn all of the basics and fundamentals of a character before stressing to much on your combo abilities for said character.

~^^^ THIS

Combos are helpful and once you lock down those BnBs you can end matches fast, but you HAVE to know and understand fundamentals first. What part of the combos are you having trouble with? Which ones and where are you dropping them?

Oh and Ianskie - get outta Oxnard and come down to LA once in awhile! You should hit up my casuals in Van Nuys.

so i picked this game up on day one and have just been playing without "real" combos. this is the second fighting game i have ever played and i only played ssf4 for a few months, so i consider myself i noob with fighting games. i really want to get into the fighting community and get good at mk9 but i just cant learn any combos. i like cage the best and i can do some midscreens but i only get halfway though the combo before i mess it up. right now my best combos does 26% damage which is pretty bad. i have been working for about a total of 3 hours in the lab with just cage and cant learn any of his combos. its very frustrating and i was wondering if any one has tips and knows generally how long it takes to get a combo down. Thanks.
Basics and Fundamentals (Combos)

Check you movelist

Get the combos listed there down - some pop up character, some help keep them airbourne
Individual moves - same deal (pop ups and what helps keep character airbourne)
Johnny Cage has very fast jabs and far reaching kicks

Connecting combos
Dash, dash, dash (get used to your dashes)
More hit does not always mean more damage (Launch character and try different combos one-by-one to see what does what)
Specials (some specials help keep character airbourne)
Specials (some immobilize i.e. Scorpions spear) try to get as many hits before using those specials (you're allowed 1 per combo)

I'll say now, Johnny Cage is not the easiest person to keep combos going with

I am uploading a Raiden combo tutorial that showcases all of the above (I'll let you know when it's up) you'll find it helpful

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
I think the hard part for myself when doing Cage's combos, is the consistency of juggles. Highly dependent on strict timing, when you dash, when you press the next button. And is the case with alot of difficult juggle combos in this game.

Let me give an example, opponent in corner, after launching the opponent with Cage's B+FK or BP, FP, F+BP combo, then dashing, and then going into repeated BP x 5~7, I find the outcome is highly variable. I sometimes whiff after the third BP in a situation where the BP attack box should clearly hit, but it doesn't and they fall to the ground. This could be PS3 pad dependent, but I usually get somewhere from 4 to 7 BP, only resulting in whiffing the next BP. And yes, on a good day where I get 7 BP, my thumb starts to ache.

I've tried this on a stick, and I find I'm more consistent and it doesn't hurt my thumb. But my question is, with juggles, how do you know when the opponent's had enough, so that you end your juggles properly for the right amount of damage? Is it timing based, or do you have to judge vertical height in any given scenario?

Synraii

So Salty...
Easy - the most damaging juggle off each launcher. Trying to show off will get you killed more often than not sadly ~_~
If you really want to end in style just link in enhanced DB+3 - just so as he win you here... He got Caged...