What's new

Question raven questions

Sami

Noob
How about some useful answers?

why doesnt ravens fireball combo into soulcrush when grounded ? also why isnt b2 an overhead
The same reason you can't link d1 into d2 with Raven: the game's combo system is designed around juggles and actively prevents frame links. When an opponent is on the ground you can link in the following way:

jump-in attack -> normal or combostring -> special

Usually by the end the opponent is in the air and you can keep hitting them with whatever without the game trying to stop you. What you're trying to do is special -> special when the opponent is on the ground for the second special, which won't work. The game will let the opponent block the follow-up move, even if they are still in hit stun from the first one. This is why the opponent can block the Soul Crush after being hit with Shadow Raven. This mechanic also works in your favour though as it allows for easier resets. If they don't block then rather than getting combo scaled damage, both Shadow Raven and Soul Crush will do full damage. Some characters can use this to reset and mix-up the opponent. Example: do a normal with a high enough frame advantage on hit that leaves the opponent grounded and you can follow-up with a cross-up jump-in. The damage will reset and the opponent has to block the cross-up correctly or eat another full combo.

There are a few specials that allow follow-up attacks when the opponent is grounded, but they are specifically designed that way. Bat Girl's bola, Batman's MB grapple, Zatanna's MB trance, etc. However, due to the frame advantage on these they're usually used to reset the opponent with a mix-up anyway.

As for why b2 isn't an overhead, probably balance. It certainly looks like an overhead, but as much as I would've loved it if Raven has all of her tools and a close range 50/50 (b1 and b2) it may have been a bit too much. Then again, they released Batgirl so whatever. My guess is that it was originally an overhead but changed to mid during development and they didn't alter the animation.

edit: with regards to the combo link reset thing being to your advantage, I'm speaking in general. Raven doesn't have any known setups where she can greatly benefit from this. She does have a standing reset with MB grab in demon stance, but they're in the air for most of it - they reset the moment they hit the ground so you have to time the cross-up to coincide with that.

4x4lo8o

Noob
The same reason you can't link d1 into d2 with Raven: the game's combo system is designed around juggles and actively prevents frame links.
Good on you for recognizing what he was really asking. I read it as a really retarded balance question(and probably a troll) but it's actually a pretty reasonable question about game mechanics. I think most people on these forums are like me and wouldn't have caught that