What's new

Question Random Thoughts

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
So over the past couple weeks I havent really played MK at all, but I have found myself pondering what I could have missed etc. So these are just a couple things I was thinking of that I want to get the Baraka forums opinion on.

1. Ex blade charge. This whole time I have been using it to beat out projectiles full screen or midscreen. But I was thinking, what if you used it to get out of pressure? Like Kenshi does with EX spirit charge or Sonya does with Cartwheel, could Baraka use EX blade charge to get out of frametraps and other pressure? Is this viable? I would test myself but training mode is ass(so spoiled by igau). It may only be a little bit of damage but the GTFO factor of it might be useful.

I also was thinking about improving my corner game. Which led me to start messing around with d4 slices. Now midscreen this isnt good and whiffs on most characters, but in the corner it works quite well. Unfortunately you cannot EX slices after a d4(Well you can but it doesnt combo), so its not like F2 EX slices. But that got me thinking, what is wrong with them blocking it? It leaves me at neutral, gives me most of my meter back, and if it hits I get a free combo. D4 is 5 frames faster than b3 which makes the 50/50 much faster(or the low option anyway), and it is also safer than b31.

There was also something I used to do in the corner that I thought I might share with everyone. Now I have not always been able to recreate this so I have no idea if it is viable or not, but I know I did it in some tourney matches. Whenever I get the opponent in the corner I usually like to mix in tick throws. After the throw I would always mash D4, because for some reason it often seemed to OTG the opponent, which surprised them and opened me up for more pressure. Now I know D4 beats a lot of wakeups, but it also seemed like they were just trying to stand up. Again I have no idea if this is viable, but it did work for me a few times.

So yeah, those are some of my random thoughts over the past few weeks. They may alll be useless and this might not warrant its own thread, but I figured with how barren the MK9 forums have been lately(except 1mans thread, didnt notice that one before) it couldnt hurt to get a little discussion going.

Thoughts?

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Zoidberg747

yea man, blade charge has armor so using for to blow through normals/frame advantage is just as effective as blowing through projectiles.
only downside to it is unsafe upclose when blocked so its not as much as a get out of jail free card like some armored safe specials.

personally i dont like using d4~slices outside of the reset that can use it as a ender.

hmm dunno about that corner throw think,could just be a visual thing.ill check it out

GGA Max

@ Zoidberg747 I don't play much anymore, but when I can share what I used to do...

1. Ex Blade Charge
I would totally use this to get out of pressure. However it leaves you full screen if they cross you up. And punishable on block (if I remember correctly). Still, I used it when cage or jax were up close. I think I later realized that a well timed blade spin was similarly effective in that it was fast and stopped cross ups, but lost to pokes.

2. D4 xx Slices
I always thought this would whiff, never tried it in the corner though. Isn't standing 4 just as fast as d4? (one frame faster iirc) It has a meatier hit box and WILL combo if the opponent dares to block any hits... But you don't have the advantage of lowering your hitbox like with d4.

3. OTG D4 after throw
Sounds interesting, you should experiment...