What's new

Question Random level up issues I'm having

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Hey there. I'm trying to level up a bit before MLG, so I've tried to see where I have the most trouble. I'm wondering if any Kitana mains can help :3

1. I have a hell of a time getting in on zoning keep-away characters (Kabal, Skarlet, Sindel, Stryker, Jade, Sektor, Kano, Reptile, Freddy). What is the best approach to getting in and actually doing damage? Usually I do dash into crouch block, but once I'm there, I'm kind of lost and usually end up full screen again.
  2. Speaking of dashing, what's the deal with dashing into crouch? There seems to be an 8000 frame transition where you can't do anything. Should I just not be doing that at all?
  3. What's the best way to handle projectile pressure on knockdown? Is there a way to wake up into neutral crouch, or do you pretty much have to block at least one projectile?
  4. How do you deal with players that neutral crouch up close? 3,3 and b3,3 never seem to get the job done for me, f21 is great but if it's blocked you're basically forced to crouch block, b12 almost always gets crossed up for me into full combo, d3 & d4 work but i can never get a decent follow up to it, etc. I think a lot of this has to do with my poor footsie skills, but I'm having trouble knowing when I should even try to walk back or when that gets blown up.
Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
1. Patience and decision. Theyre annoying. Thank goodness Kitana had one of the best dashes.
2. What im saying. wtf.
3. You could stay down, altho the chip from a projectile matters very little unless near death.
4. d1~Cutter helps. F21 on block is only -1. You still have options afterward, depending on your opp. Against KL, it basically becomes a "to block or to attack" scenario.

AssassiN

Noob
Can only answer question 2 for you since I'm not a Kitana main.
Dashing into crouch takes a long time idd, projectiles will hit you during this period. What you can do is:
- Dashing into d3
- Dashing into down + block
- Walking into crouching(or d3 or down + block)

These 3 options make you crouch immediately, find the one that suits you best although dashing into d3 makes you vulnerable if the opponent changes it up(low projectile, fast advancing move that will hit you, ...).

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Most of these are too broad for me to give specific advice. I'll try though.
1. It depends on the MU and player. Generally you'd dash block into the starting point of her footsies range(meaning where you can dash up d+1, f+2,1, 2,1 or jump in) and from there the guessing game begins. If they're fully committed to spamming projectiles then you could do something like jk~fan or dash up d+1 if it's a high projectile. EX Ass could also work. If they stop or you've conditioned them to stop once you're in range then you're fine and able to play your game. Like against Kabal, you'd just have to download their patterns and make reads. Some of them are going to start jumping in, dashing up or throwing out normals like f+3,2 once you get in range. React accordingly. Some are obsessed with IAGB so just keep chasing them. Let them zone all the way into the corner if that's their choice.
2. Yes dashing into crouch takes too long. Dash d+3 instead.
3. You usually do have to block them. You can even do this with Kitana. A lot of times people try to duck the fan on their wakeup and eat it. Then they start complaining. It's awesome. You can use wakeup attacks to go through them.
4. d+3 grants hella frames on a crouching opponent. My basic mixup after a d+3 hits is 2,1 or throw. Most people respect the advantage and block after a d+3 hits so they'll eat the throw. If they start hitting buttons or try to jump you blow them up with 2,1. D+3 into d+3 if they mash low pokes.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Thank you all for the advice!

GGA 16 Bit -- about d3 into 21: one of my main problems is that i keep getting poked out of 21 since the first hit is a high. Does a d3 on hit give enough time to let you get a 2 out safely? Thanks again for your help.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Hey there. I'm trying to level up a bit before MLG, so I've tried to see where I have the most trouble. I'm wondering if any Kitana mains can help :3

1. I have a hell of a time getting in on zoning keep-away characters (Kabal, Skarlet, Sindel, Stryker, Jade, Sektor, Kano, Reptile, Freddy). What is the best approach to getting in and actually doing damage? Usually I do dash into crouch block, but once I'm there, I'm kind of lost and usually end up full screen again. Your fastest option after that, mixed up with an option that is still fast but different. With Jade I either d3,4~options or 12~options when I got in. No idea who you main so I can't give any better tip on this.
  2. Speaking of dashing, what's the deal with dashing into crouch? There seems to be an 8000 frame transition where you can't do anything. Should I just not be doing that at all? Depends what you are dashing in on. Few characters have low projectiles to mind and those you can practice to bait and jip in on.
  3. What's the best way to handle projectile pressure on knockdown? Is there a way to wake up into neutral crouch, or do you pretty much have to block at least one projectile? Hold :d:blk
  4. How do you deal with players that neutral crouch up close? 3,3 and b3,3 never seem to get the job done for me, f21 is great but if it's blocked you're basically forced to crouch block, b12 almost always gets crossed up for me into full combo, d3 & d4 work but i can never get a decent follow up to it, etc. I think a lot of this has to do with my poor footsie skills, but I'm having trouble knowing when I should even try to walk back or when that gets blown up. d3, d1 are universal.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!

GGA 16 Bit -- about d3 into 21: one of my main problems is that i keep getting poked out of 21 since the first hit is a high. Does a d3 on hit give enough time to let you get a 2 out safely? Thanks again for your help.
if thats the case and you think they are going to poke you back after succesfully hitting them with a d3, just back up and do f21, their poke will wiff and u'll get a full combo :)

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios

No they can still poke. It's like the only thing that will beat out 2,1 though. So if they keep doing it then react accordingly.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
1. I have a hell of a time getting in on zoning keep-away characters (Kabal, Skarlet, Sindel, Stryker, Jade, Sektor, Kano, Reptile, Freddy). What is the best approach to getting in and actually doing damage? Usually I do dash into crouch block, but once I'm there, I'm kind of lost and usually end up full screen again.
Patience. Against a character like Kabal, once you get within jump distance if he moves forward he is looking to attack. Throw out 21 and it will hit 9 times out of 10. The trick in these matchups is patience and understanding of your opponent and their options.

The simplest option is the most overlooked, gaining projectile advantage. Tom Brady talked about this when the game first came out. You have to make them respect your offensive capabilities which makes them look for it allowing you more options for closing the distance. For instance, in the Kano matchup after you duck a knife you can do an iAF and if they throw another knife, your fan will hit and their knife will whiff over your head. Now they will rethink throwing knives so recklessly.

2. Speaking of dashing, what's the deal with dashing into crouch? There seems to be an 8000 frame transition where you can't do anything. Should I just not be doing that at all?
When you dash to crouch, tap block or do a d3 or d1 to immediately go into a crouch. By doing this, you will never get hit by a stray high attack or projectile again when you dash

3. What's the best way to handle projectile pressure on knockdown? Is there a way to wake up into neutral crouch, or do you pretty much have to block at least one projectile?
HOLD DOWN! The perfect example of this is after Ermac hits you with a TKP. He immediately throws a projectile that you have to block or get hit. If you stay down, it whiffs and you can get up safely.

4. How do you deal with players that neutral crouch up close? 3,3 and b3,3 never seem to get the job done for me, f21 is great but if it's blocked you're basically forced to crouch block, b12 almost always gets crossed up for me into full combo, d3 & d4 work but i can never get a decent follow up to it, etc. I think a lot of this has to do with my poor footsie skills, but I'm having trouble knowing when I should even try to walk back or when that gets blown up.
If they are crouching without blocking, d3 gains you +10 which lets you dash in for 33 pressure. If you know they are doing it to make you whiff so they can punish, hit them with b3~cutter. It has huge range. The less risky option is to simply f21. Watch their habits after blocking it and start punishing them for it.

33 is great when you really understand the whole counter-poking metagame. Do 33 into dash up throw. If this works, the next time you do 33, press d3 to hit them out of their counter and now you are +10. Most people online jump after I do this setup in which case I do 33, d3, then walk back and hit them with an aa3~fan combo.

It's all about knowing what your opponents options are and watching for and forcing opportunities.

LEGEND

YES!
the kitana community is so cool, almost makes me want to put more time into her but there is just no need for her within my core group of characters

Keep up the good shit guys :)

Axel_Redd

Patience. Against a character like Kabal, once you get within jump distance if he moves forward he is looking to attack. Throw out 21 and it will hit 9 times out of 10. The trick in these matchups is patience and understanding of your opponent and their options.

The simplest option is the most overlooked, gaining projectile advantage. Tom Brady talked about this when the game first came out. You have to make them respect your offensive capabilities which makes them look for it allowing you more options for closing the distance. For instance, in the Kano matchup after you duck a knife you can do an iAF and if they throw another knife, your fan will hit and their knife will whiff over your head. Now they will rethink throwing knives so recklessly.

When you dash to crouch, tap block or do a d3 or d1 to immediately go into a crouch. By doing this, you will never get hit by a stray high attack or projectile again when you dash

HOLD DOWN! The perfect example of this is after Ermac hits you with a TKP. He immediately throws a projectile that you have to block or get hit. If you stay down, it whiffs and you can get up safely.

If they are crouching without blocking, d3 gains you +10 which lets you dash in for 33 pressure. If you know they are doing it to make you whiff so they can punish, hit them with b3~cutter. It has huge range. The less risky option is to simply f21. Watch their habits after blocking it and start punishing them for it.

33 is great when you really understand the whole counter-poking metagame. Do 33 into dash up throw. If this works, the next time you do 33, press d3 to hit them out of their counter and now you are +10. Most people online jump after I do this setup in which case I do 33, d3, then walk back and hit them with an aa3~fan combo.

It's all about knowing what your opponents options are and watching for and forcing opportunities.
online i still eat that second knife...lol

aj1701

Noob

Wow I played kitty mirrors today and he was doing that d3 33 stuff on me, I've never seen that before and now you post about it. Good stuff, I'll have toplay with it.

Also, how do you counter it? I felt like I couldn't do anything and was losing alot to chip.

Axel_Redd

one thing just in general you'll want to keep in mind....people online love to NJP your ass! lmao.