What's new

General/Other Rain needs Exposure

Enenra

Go to hell.
I realize I am a nobody, and that's cool people, but hear me out.

Cage is so good because of the frame traps, immaculate chip, random advantage F3, and how much meter he builds when he gets in. The problem is if he can get in, but players such as CURB0LICIOUS are quickly showing that most zoning is becoming irrelevant. Only characters like Kenshi and Freddy can actually keep other characters out effectively.

This makes me wonder about Rain. Rain reminds me of Johnny Cage, he has godlike pressure and shitty projectiles. Only Rain has a 50% meterless BnB midscreen kombo and the best armor in the game. He also has a relatively low risk mix up with roundhouse cancels, similar to the F3, F3, F33 type of thing Johnny thrives on. However, if you guess wrong against Rain, he launches you for a 40% kombo.

Rain also has hard mix ups that are straight up 50/50, with the overhead leading to 40+%. So inside of a roudhouse cancel mix up, he can do another mix up. Mixupception.

Rain with meter is ridiculous. You cannot pressure him, and you have to be extremely careful of zoning him. Rain actually has really solid defense... His D1 is 6 frames, his D4 recovers insanely quick, and D3 has serious reach. Obviously if he has meter he can armor out and kombo you for 40 percent, and when put in guessing situations if Rain guesses right he takes half your life bar.

Rain also has a reset off of water bubble that can only be armored or Xrayed out of, and a Smoke style crossup off of a jk into teleport after lighting/bubble.

Rain's lightning also isn't as bad as Johnny's, though that isn't saying much.

The common word of mouth was Rain had a hard time getting in as well... But obviously if a character without a teleport and without armor shielding (Rain can cancel an EN Roundhouse to absorb a hit and dash through to tear through zoning or pressure) can get in, Rain should too. Cage was largely regarded as low tier before some skilled players stepped up, and Rain was mid tier. So what can Rain REALLY be?

Rain has no tournament face. Online, he has BookBurning, A F0xy Grampa, BodamEscapePlan Smarrgasm and whoever else, but who mains Rain offline? All I can think of is Brownie and he doesn't attend things like MLG (<3 you Brownie.) CDjr won a tournament with him but then dropped him because of a dash nerf. I plead for someone who attends majors to take an interest in Rain and show how good he is.

Am I full of shit? I really feel like Rain needs SOMEONE of a high tournament caliber and constant attendee to show how good he is. That is my earnest plea to the tournament players... Someone needs to roundhouse the kommunity and show the majority of us how good this character is at his full potential.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
When a dedicated good Rain player come to a stream - everybody is going to drag their chins on the floor. Rain is such a great character.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Enenra, thank you for this. Recently I had considered almost giving up on this guy. I just need to keep working on him. I'm definitely gonna show him off down here in ATL at the next few tournies i make. Let's see what i can do with him.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Enenra, thank you for this. Recently I had considered almost giving up on this guy. I just need to keep working on him. I'm definitely gonna show him off down here in ATL at the next few tournies i make. Let's see what i can do with him.
Bro, when I get back online, let's do Rain mirrors or something and help each other learn the char (in my case) and really flush him out in yours. You are who made me a believer so don't quit on him.

No prob, thanks for all your help in me picking him up.
hahaha Oh Chef. I'm gonna try and go to as many majors as I can this year. I am definitely going to MLG Anaheim. Rain is really good and I'm trying to get my Rain to where I can compete with top tier characters. I will try my best to be the face of the offline Rain. You will definitely see me a major soon.
I would LOVE that Brownie. You are very skilled and always nice to me, lol. Best of luck.

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
Great post man!
Rain is good, very good, we Rain mains, and players know this for a fact
he just has too many good tool

i think he is easily in one of the top 5 best rush down characters in the game

ideally he only needs to get in once on some characters, and between almost 40% bubble resets and ex bubble all they can do is try to poke out of RH pressure, and pray not to get kicked in the face...

Gamma

Plays too much Civ
Well hopefully Rain starts seeing more stream time. There are plenty of great Rain players and I'll be attending VSM more frequently once classes end so hopefully I can help as well.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
imo, rain is much higher in tier positions than most people give him. Def top 15, possible top 10. I gave up on him when i couldnt do his combos online for shit, but no doubt if i ever get into the offline community Rain is coming into my roster. He fits my style quite well, i wish CD Jr would play him more often :'(

I realize I am a nobody, and that's cool people, but hear me out.
Thats a straight up lie, good sir.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Well hopefully Rain starts seeing more stream time. There are plenty of great Rain players and I'll be attending VSM more frequently once classes end so hopefully I can help as well.
Do it.

imo, rain is much higher in tier positions than most people give him. Def top 15, possible top 10. I gave up on him when i couldnt do his combos online for shit, but no doubt if i ever get into the offline community Rain is coming into my roster. He fits my style quite well, i wish CD Jr would play him more often :'(
Thats a straight up lie, good sir.

I do too, but CD likes to Smoke Smoke Smoke and whatever Jax has for a chant. Good luck mang, I hope you bust heads.

And thanks :D Making me feel special and all

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
i've told my friends the same thing for the longest time its no effing way you can armor through everything, and not be like top ten in a game where people either (a) have to get close or (b) have trouble dealing with pressure.not to mention his damage potential is mad crazy. I liked rain and still practice him in practice mode but i don't really bring him out ever cause i have little matchup exp with him, and when i do want to i play good people who would rape my rain :'(,

Espio

Kokomo
Rain's really good, if ever there was an underrated character, it would be him.

Very informative post as well.

Rain's a very fun character on top of how good he is, I always keep him in my rotation, his mind games are marvelous, just like the stylish purple prince, I look forward to seeing more Rain players at majors.

FOR EDENIA!

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
TUNIC.

That is all.

Screw it. Waiting on a costume is gonna take forever. I'm gonna try and crack this shell.
Does 4 3 Pop The Bottle still work after the patch? I haven't played Rain in aaaaaaaages...

Enenra

Go to hell.
TUNIC.

That is all.

Screw it. Waiting on a costume is gonna take forever. I'm gonna try and crack this shell.
Does 4 3 Pop The Bottle still work after the patch? I haven't played Rain in aaaaaaaages...
In the corner yes it does. Try 43 lightning pop the bottle 43 pop the bottle etc.

I like how Rain looks, lol.

Glad to have you aboard the Rain train.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
In the corner yes it does. Try 43 lightning pop the bottle 43 pop the bottle etc.

I like how Rain looks, lol.

Glad to have you aboard the Rain train.
UMK3 Style :D. Out of everyone I cycled through looking for pocket change, I never once thought of Rain.
He's a tough nut, though. Not quite as strange as Skarlet, but definitely unorthadox, and I have more or less NO experience fighting him, so if I'm gonna get him figured out, the only way is taking him in and turning him into a weapon.
Meterless damage, a 50/50 PROJECTILE, he's purple, iATeleport, and armor for days...but next to no one plays him.
He CAN'T be that bad.

Dann

Noob
A dash cancel character with godlike armor, a teleport move, ridiculous damage output, resets, that looks awesome on top of all that??!?!?!?!?! I honestly don't know why don't use him. He's an amazing character. It blows my mind that people use shitty characters in tournaments like sub zero, cybersub, baraka, and scorpion and you see no one using rain.