What's new

Rain Guide - Basics, Tactics, Custom Loadout Combinations, and More!

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Hey everyone! Sorry for taking so long on the guide. There was A LOT that I ended up missing in the videos which was bound to happen with how much info I tried to cover in such a short time. You may also notice that Purple Pain is missing and that's because I truly think the move is just worth using but if you are determined to make it work, PND Ketchup has a great video you can check out. So, if there are any questions or clarifications to help clear up some confusion, leave them in the comments below.

Lastly, please direct all match-up related stuff to the rain Matchup Discussion Thread, thank you!

Part 1: Wavedashing, Strings/Normals, Anti-Breakaway, & Geyser Palm!

Other Important Notes to Consider:
  • Throw with Rain a lot, the sooner you get the KB loaded and the opponent is afraid of it, the better.
  • Rain short up U3 goes a decent distance
  • Abuse F4 in the corner
  • 13xx Tidal Wave can be fuzzy guarded
  • S3 is a very good whiff punisher
  • Katar Toss can be Meter burned anytime, including on hit or while traveling
  • Katar Toss can also be used to cover Rain's flawless block gaps in B212, 134, etc.
  • F3 is only -1 so you can check with a d1 and go for strike/throw mixup when they are conditioned.
  • Try to always keep at least one bar of offensive meter to enforce the Katar mind game and because Rain is very meter dependent.
  • You can Meter Burn Geyser Palm Twice in a combo for more damage or better oki.
  • Don't go in if you don't have to; Rain has amazing run away tools such as evaporate!
Part 2: Oki & Covering Wakeup options, Water-Bubble, Quantum Slice + Edenian Force, & Set-Play!

Other Important Notes I missed in the video:
  • Delay wakeup after 2421+3 combo ender is reactable and still covered by Tidal Wave Oki.
  • Tidal Wave hitbox and active frames are huge; think Cetrion Rock wall spacing tool.
  • Meter burning Water Bubble and tossing the opponent away restands them with massive advantage.
  • The meter burn of Water Bubble can be slightly delayed on hit to bait a breakaway on the first hit.
  • 133 Water Bubble Combos in the corner.
  • Two Water Bubbles meter burns can be used in the same combo, it is best to throw them downward if doing this.
  • Having a safe custom special move such as Tidal wave is highly recommended with Water Bubble to keep the safety that Katar Toss gives.
  • Comboing into Quantum Slice KB while the opponent is airborne is possible and will still launch them at the original height of the KB.
  • Quantum Slice KB heavily triggers gravity scaling and the opponent will hit the ground quickly after being hit immediately after the KB.
  • Meter burning air quantum slice with Edenian Force twice with Edenian Force equipped will still trigger the KB.
  • Closing comment before video cut off was "You will get D2 KB'd for doing Quantum Slice on block"
Part 3: Hydroplane, Riptide (Squirt Gun), & Hydro Boost

• Many times I refer to Hydroplane as "Hydro boost" ignore that
  • Hydro plane can also be used to interrupt other attacks and strings with gaps. Please see:
  • Edenian Force + Argus Plunge can be used immediately after Hydro Boost on block to run away; great for escaping the corner.
  • Certain characters will not have the last hit of Hydro Boost whiff in the corner
  • Hydro Boost can be used in a similar fashion as Katar Toss such as covering Rain's gaps or mind games after pokes.
  • Using B34 on oki can be option selected with Hydro Boost using B3bf4. On hit/block, Hydro Boost comes out, on whiff/delay wakeup, B34 comes out.
  • It is possible to Jail a J3 on certain characters like Sub Zero after Hydro Boost, timing is very strict.
  • If Opponent is afraid of Hydro Plane, you can cancel it and continue offense.
  • Riptide is very unsafe up close but more safe when used at longer distances.
Part 4: Hydro Boost Continued, Chip Damage, Corner Damage, Anti-Air Options

• Hydro Boost can be used on Oki to cover several wakeup options, as it still hits behind Rain.
  • D1 is very solid Anti-Air, and is best used to stop cross ups.
  • J2 is best used after Hydro Boost, don't use J1 like in the video.
  • End in 2421+3 in the corner after spending two bars using Hydro Boost to keep the opponent cornered.
  • You can use the straight airborne version of Quantum Slice as a run away tool after the opponent has blocked Hydro Boost.
  • Backwards dashing is also a very good anti air option to trip guard the opponent,