What's new

Raiden vs Jumping

So there is one guy I play a lot online who is quite a good player. He mains Ermac, who I can't stand because any mistake I make results in his little force lift thing followed by an easy ~36% combo. Anyway, he's incredibly good at reacting to teleports, and whether he is using Ermac, or say, Scorpion, he'll simply jump over me and do some really fast and safe combo string. They instant he is done with the string, it's like there is no delay, and he'll immediately jump over me and do the exact same thing. Both Scorpion and Ermac seem to have a really good ground string that let them do this repetitive jump+combo thing.

I'm really not sure how to counter this. Of course, I want to still be able to do random teleport-ins. After tried ducking and uppercutting to catch his jump, but it's too slow. Shocker is also too slower. I wish shocker was actually decent AA, but it seems only E-Shocker is reliable enough to not get me caught in a huge combo.

So I guess my question is, when someone constantly just jumps over Raiden, how can he punish them? The jumping is extremely repetitive and thus predictable, but I seem to just be stuck blocking with no real chance to counter. I can't recall for sure, but I feel like I'm too trapped to even get Fly to work, but maybe my timing just sucks.

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
Isn't his Superman the fastest move in the game? Every time I jump against a legit Raiden I usually learn my lesson very quickly!

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
So there is one guy I play a lot online who is quite a good player. He mains Ermac, who I can't stand because any mistake I make results in his little force lift thing followed by an easy ~36% combo. Anyway, he's incredibly good at reacting to teleports, and whether he is using Ermac, or say, Scorpion, he'll simply jump over me and do some really fast and safe combo string. They instant he is done with the string, it's like there is no delay, and he'll immediately jump over me and do the exact same thing. Both Scorpion and Ermac seem to have a really good ground string that let them do this repetitive jump+combo thing.

I'm really not sure how to counter this. Of course, I want to still be able to do random teleport-ins. After tried ducking and uppercutting to catch his jump, but it's too slow. Shocker is also too slower. I wish shocker was actually decent AA, but it seems only E-Shocker is reliable enough to not get me caught in a huge combo.

So I guess my question is, when someone constantly just jumps over Raiden, how can he punish them? The jumping is extremely repetitive and thus predictable, but I seem to just be stuck blocking with no real chance to counter. I can't recall for sure, but I feel like I'm too trapped to even get Fly to work, but maybe my timing just sucks.
Is that Ermac player's name CableKabal? I've ran into him and it sounds like what you are describing. Remember, in order for him (or anybody) to punish you off of a Teleport they cannot be blocking when you teleport, otherwise they don't have enough time to leg off block, turn around, and do whatever. So what you do is if you notice they keep punishing your Teleport just do an Electric Fly, because they won't be blocking in anticipation of a teleport and thus the Electric Fly will connect. This will cause them to think twice next time, i.e. you force them into a guessing game. Another thing you can do is immediately after you teleport hold block, this has a good chance of catching Ermac players attempting a TKS. Just remember to punish quickly because the TKS has a short recovery window.

As for the jumping thing, try jump back and kick and/or Air Electric Fly.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Funny I just asked the exact question in the Stryker forum. i just cant seem to get out that cross jump in jail. At least you guys have teleports :-( Uppercut does prevent the cross jumpins but it seems unsafe since the opponent can just dock and make it whiff.

i think you are talking about a friend of mine his gamer tag is: hash-o-san
he is used to my tele with raiden and jumps back when you teleport, you should simply jump instantly after him and jk super man that's how i beat it any ways.
btw the jk strategy is working against both problems when he tries to cross jump you jk superman and you get to keep the pressure on him.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
You're not using your superman enough. Go ahead and teleport and let him jump over you the first time, block and then then jump back and kick to see if he's trying to cross you up again. You get out of pressure anyway. Next time you teleport, anticipate his jump and go ahead and use your superman. Also, can you not teleport again before he crosses you up? or perhaps work in the odd ex teleport to confuse him. If he goes ahead and jumps into a string, hitting nothing but air, you should be able to punish.