What's new

Breakthrough - Raiden Raiden - b2 overhead launcher option select - From -63 to -7 on block.

Belial

Noob
Not sure is it's the best, but it is there (TG). For meterless skip the part after that first run. For non-TG skip FRC part. That said, those may be not optimal at that point.
b2, run, b14~EX-shocker, b14~FRC, 214~shocker = 47%

In the corner you can go with second b2 at the beginning instead of first run, gotta be 50+.
Stealing my combos, are you? ;)

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
IIRC they said they were patching the 123 option select, not other little things like this.

Option selects are great and separate the top players from everyone else, learn them.
this is a sad statement on how badly SF4 has warped people's views of good game design

option selects are usually the exact opposite of a good thing because they reduce the number of meaningful decisions you need to make. generally, the situations they get around were *meant* to be situations where you wouldn't have a sure thing. fighting games work best when there are few sure things and the ones that exist require a lot of work to set up, i think.

the main case of option selects improving a game was virtua fighter 4. reason being that they were almost all *defensive* OSes, and the game needed those since otherwise mixups were ridiculously stacked in favor of the player w/ advantage. even then, some of that stuff was removed in future games.

i fully applaud the removal of any OSes from this game, though i think it could give players just a little extra time to hit-confirm things.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Stealing my combos, are you? ;)
I do :p
But people basically do the same already. Saw Chaosphere doing that (albeit with drops) in his matches. Starter may differ (replaced with b32 or with NJP when opportunity areises), but the essence is the same.

Monox1de

Noob
IIRC they said they were patching the 123 option select, not other little things like this.
Exactly...i read that NRS replied to the 1+2+3 option selects and said that it wasn't intended to work like that and that they would be fixing/removing it. There was never any mention about the other ways people are finding option selects like this one.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I'm still having trouble with this. How do you get electrocute to not come out on hit?
If I understood it correctly, by timing it in a way that input is complete right after first hit of b2 hits. On block, there's still cancel window, but not on hit.

Again, waiting for someone to confirm that.

If I understood it correctly, by timing it in a way that input is complete right after first hit of b2 hits. On block, there's still cancel window, but not on hit.

There's a cancel window on hit aswell if you do the electr. too fast

This is what I was looking for, so far all we'd gotten was "fast, but not TOO fast" for the timing.

I might actually give this a shot again now.

infamy23

FireBeard
Block advantage and startup are calculated under the assumption that the 1st active frame makes contact.

If the 1st active frame does not make contact, it changes the frame data.

DF2 is -7

EX Spin makes contact with Raiden on the 8th frame, because Kung Lao travels forward for 1 frame before making contact.

If you do a meaty DF2 on someone's wakeup, you will make contact on the 4th active frame, which makes it -4 and will be safe even against Tempest Lao's 5 frame EX spin.

this is a sad statement on how badly SF4 has warped people's views of good game design

option selects are usually the exact opposite of a good thing because they reduce the number of meaningful decisions you need to make. generally, the situations they get around were *meant* to be situations where you wouldn't have a sure thing. fighting games work best when there are few sure things and the ones that exist require a lot of work to set up, i think.

the main case of option selects improving a game was virtua fighter 4. reason being that they were almost all *defensive* OSes, and the game needed those since otherwise mixups were ridiculously stacked in favor of the player w/ advantage. even then, some of that stuff was removed in future games.

i fully applaud the removal of any OSes from this game, though i think it could give players just a little extra time to hit-confirm things.