What's new

Quick question about PS3 controller

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Not really MK9 related, but I remember reading something about this on this forum:

Is there any way of removing the vibration on the ps3? (by doing something with the wiring)
Is there any way of making the ps3 WIRED ONLY? Something with removing the battery or alike? I think this was suggested for EVO.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Not really MK9 related, but I remember reading something about this on this forum:

Is there any way of removing the vibration on the ps3? (by doing something with the wiring)
Is there any way of making the ps3 WIRED ONLY? Something with removing the battery or alike? I think this was suggested for EVO.
I think you can disconnect the dual shock function with a snip or 2 of some wires, not sure. DaRabidDuckie???

if you remove the bluetooth from the PS3, it makes the controller only work when its connected by a cable. MLG does this. it works.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
I think you can disconnect the dual shock function with a snip or 2 of some wires, not sure. DaRabidDuckie???

if you remove the bluetooth from the PS3, it makes the controller only work when its connected by a cable. MLG does this. it works.
That's some nice information there, Tim.
Do you happen to have any pic or more info about this? If not it's okay, I'll look for pictures.

Thank you!

aj1701

Noob

Just curious, why disable vibration? Isn't there an option to in the games menu?

Tim Static

Adminerator
That's some nice information there, Tim.
Do you happen to have any pic or more info about this? If not it's okay, I'll look for pictures.

Thank you!
no, i have no idea how to perform such things. I mentioned Duckie in the post so hopefully he will see it and maybe help you out further. :)

nwo

Noob
The ps3 wireless controller has vibration? I bought one when the ps3 first came out and I remember it being super light with no vibration.

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
Not trying to derail this thread, but pardon me as I derail this thread, lol. Does anyone know where to get cheap, authentic, "new in the box" PS3 pad? Dem shits never go on sale.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone using a pirated copy of Tapatalk

KRYS9984

Noob

I recently took apart my PS3 controller to replace the worn out Rubber Contacts and from what I saw, you can disable the Rumble feature by snipping the Red and Black wires that connect them to the circuit board.

To make the controller wireless, you probably just have to remove the battery and always have it plugged in via USB to Mini USB cable.

This information is not 100% confirmed but seems logical from looking at the Dualshock 3's interior.

Here is a picture I found of the controllers interior:

KRYS9984

Noob
Not trying to derail this thread, but pardon me as I derail this thread, lol. Does anyone know where to get cheap, authentic, "new in the box" PS3 pad? Dem shits never go on sale.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone using a pirated copy of Tapatalk

Where are you located?

I'm located in Canada and about 2 weeks ago there was a sale at my local Best Buy (web as well) on all console accessories. The PS3 Dualshock 3 controllers (in various colors) were on sale at $39.99 which is roughly $15.00 off the regular price. I didn't really need another controller at the moment but at that price, I decided to purchased one as an emergency back-up.

You can't hesitate to purchase electronics when they are on sale; $39.99 is a good price and won't wait out for a better special that might or might not happen in the future. Every week, check the websites of your local electronic dealers and try to snag a good deal. If you choose to go the online route, make sure it's from a reputable dealer and not some random Ebay seller who can potentially sell / ship you a counterfeit item.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Where are you located?

I'm located in Canada and about 2 weeks ago there was a sale at my local Best Buy (web as well) on all console accessories. The PS3 Dualshock 3 controllers (in various colors) were on sale at $39.99 which is roughly $15.00 off the regular price. I didn't really need another controller at the moment but at that price, I decided to purchased one as an emergency back-up.

You can't hesitate to purchase electronics when they are on sale; $39.99 is a good price and won't wait out for a better special that might or might not happen in the future. Every week, check the websites of your local electronic dealers and try to snag a good deal. If you choose to go the online route, make sure it's from a reputable dealer and not some random Ebay seller who can potentially sell / ship you a counterfeit item.
yea gotta be careful with buying them online (ebay especially) with all those fakes out there.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Just curious, why disable vibration? Isn't there an option to in the games menu?
Just to save some time and to make sure it's never on. It's one of those "I don't need it, but i'm glad I have it" features.

no, i have no idea how to perform such things. I mentioned Duckie in the post so hopefully he will see it and maybe help you out further. :)
Oh it's okay. Thanks.
I recently took apart my PS3 controller to replace the worn out Rubber Contacts and from what I saw, you can disable the Rumble feature by snipping the Red and Black wires that connect them to the circuit board.

To make the controller wireless, you probably just have to remove the battery and always have it plugged in via USB to Mini USB cable.

This information is not 100% confirmed but seems logical from looking at the Dualshock 3's interior.

Here is a picture I found of the controllers interior:
Yes. I thought about it being logical that if it did not have the battery, then it would stop being wireless (well not really, but only functioning when being connected through a usb.

I'll remove the battery (it'll also make it lighter) and unwire it. I also want to add some extra buttons on the back of the controller (same concept as Scuf's gaming controllers), but I need to learn to sold carefully, because those are some really small solding points.

DaRabidDuckie

Shimapan Destroyer
Removing a battery is as simple as unplugging it. Permanently disabling the vibration is easy as well, just cut the red and black cables on the lower sides of the pad (the ones that are connected to the rumble motors).

However, on some models removing a battery is not enough to disable bluetooth. You have to desolder a very small resistor next to the bluetooth chip.

As for putting the things back together, well... there's a reason people paid me to do these, and a reason I stopped doing them. >.>

SonicFox5000

The Best.
Ummm, i think if you hold down the ps button while in a game and goto controller settings, you can turn off vibration. Lol

KRYS9984

Noob
Removing a battery is as simple as unplugging it. Permanently disabling the vibration is easy as well, just cut the red and black cables on the lower sides of the pad (the ones that are connected to the rumble motors).

However, on some models removing a battery is not enough to disable bluetooth. You have to desolder a very small resistor next to the bluetooth chip.

As for putting the things back together, well... there's a reason people paid me to do these, and a reason I stopped doing them. >.>
Thanks for confirming the information and providing some additional insight on disabling the bluetooth.

Disassembling a Playstation 3 controller is no easy task; I had to replace all the worn out rubber contacts a few weeks ago and was very careful when removing all the interior components. I knew that any wrong move would cause my controller to explode in a million pieces and it would probably take me an entire day to re-assemble.....lol

aj1701

Noob
Thanks for confirming the information and providing some additional insight on disabling the bluetooth.

Disassembling a Playstation 3 controller is no easy task; I had to replace all the worn out rubber contacts a few weeks ago and was very careful when removing all the interior components. I knew that any wrong move would cause my controller to explode in a million pieces and it would probably take me an entire day to re-assemble.....lol
So where are the pics ?

KRYS9984

Noob
So where are the pics ?
I actually took about 20 pictures (during the process) for a potential guide on how to bring new life to a worn out Dualshock 3.

$50.00 is really expensive to replace a sluggish controller and I figures I would provide some information on how to get your controller running like new for under $5.00 in replacement parts (purchased off Ebay).

Would this be something that would interest the TYM community?

This would not be a very in-depth guide because my process went rather smooth, but I would provide links to some videos I used (from Youtube) that show how to disassemble / reassemble a Dualshock controller.

DaRabidDuckie

Shimapan Destroyer
This would not be a very in-depth guide because my process went rather smooth, but I would provide links to some videos I used (from Youtube) that show how to disassemble / reassemble a Dualshock controller.
I say go for it, but keep in mind there are at least three different versions of the Sixaxis and/or Dualshock 3 that I've seen, each with their own stupid nuances you have to put up with. There's a good reason I stopped working with them. -_-