What's new

Quarantine Backlog Explorers

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
It’s been a long time. It’s been years in fact. Week after week, month after month, sale after sale, you have been steadily growing your backlog. Storing up a glorious assortment of games you knew little to nothing about when you tossed down coin on them other than they were 75% off.

Along the way there were other games, but once finished you left your treasure alone and played some new hotness instead. You did this so that one day, when the stars were right, you could dive in and play.

Now forced in doors, maybe alone, maybe jobless, have the stars not aligned? Have you cracked your backlog of tens, hundreds, thousands of unplayed games? Is it what you hoped it would one day be, or is it now just full of old, ugly looking games that rotted while you waited?

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I've been trying to play through some stuff in mine, along with keeping up with MK. I've spent a good amount of time on a couple of them. Been kind of disappointed in a couple that I always assumed I would like but never stopped and played before.

It's still surprising how hard it is to find something my library that really makes me want to play it. Just about every time I've bought something it felt really important and interesting at the time.

I did pick up Streets of Rage 4 when it came out which lead to spending some time on Fight N' Rage. Did an action RPG. Still trying to beat Serious Sam 3 after some time, but it just won't die. Working on a random platformer. Half ass picked up KI, and playing with combos in a couple of other fighting games without actually playing them. Finally assassinating as many Pringles, and orange vanilla Coke as I can along the way.

Dr. Cheesesteak

pygophile and podophile
I have Fight N Rage and Full Metal Furies, but they either have funky save systems (FNR) or I have no friends who wanna play (FMF). But SoR4 has been fun as hell (w/ friends).

But good luck on the backlog. I pray it's not like mine (1000+ games in library).

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
I've got a bunch of games that were Humble Bundled with things I actually wanted. That's how I got Borderlands 1 and 2, which were a lot of fun, even though I don't like FPS games typically.

I have an odd relationship with Supergiant games. I played Bastion incessantly and adore it. Same with Hades. The middle two games, Transistor and Pyre, I love for their sound track, art style, and uniqueness, but...I've never finished them. So now, I'm finishing Pyre, which I can best describe as a really high-stakes religious lacrosse game.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I've got a bunch of games that were Humble Bundled with things I actually wanted. That's how I got Borderlands 1 and 2, which were a lot of fun, even though I don't like FPS games typically.

I have an odd relationship with Supergiant games. I played Bastion incessantly and adore it. Same with Hades. The middle two games, Transistor and Pyre, I love for their sound track, art style, and uniqueness, but...I've never finished them. So now, I'm finishing Pyre, which I can best describe as a really high-stakes religious lacrosse game.
Hades is fucking awesome, still trying to get up in Dussa's good stuff though.

Second Saint

Hades is fucking awesome, still trying to get up in Dussa's good stuff though.
Right? Hades is one of the best, most polished games I've ever played, and it's not even done. Also, buff the damn bow. It's just not as good as the other weapons. Maybe the final aspect will change that when it comes out though. No clue how anyone gets over 20 heat with anything other than the shield.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Right? Hades is one of the best, most polished games I've ever played, and it's not even done. Also, buff the damn bow. It's just not as good as the other weapons. Maybe the final aspect will change that when it comes out though. No clue how anyone gets over 20 heat with anything other than the shield.
Have not got that high of heat yet around level 5 but I am kinda doing ever weapon at once instead of focusing on one.

The one that throws extra shields or the one you call back? Shield is prob my least favorite of them all. I really like the Guan Yu staff shit is fun, bows are supper fun also but they seem as good as everything else with the heat lvl i am at.

What heats do you run? I usually do the buffed bosses (extra countermeasures) and the speed one is where i am at.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder

I really liked Bastion, and I've had Transistor in my library forever assuming it was a guaranteed good time when I got around to it. It's very well reviewed, looks killer and all of that.

I fired it up about two weeks ago, and I gave it two attempts and both times I just shut it off after about 15- 20 min. I didn't get how it wanted to be played and wasn't enjoying it in the slightest. I like the presentation stuff, but as a game I was mightily put off right from the get go.

Second Saint

Have not got that high of heat yet around level 5 but I am kinda doing ever weapon at once instead of focusing on one.

The one that throws extra shields or the one you call back? Shield is prob my least favorite of them all. I really like the Guan Yu staff shit is fun, bows are supper fun also but they seem as good as everything else with the heat lvl i am at.

What heats do you run? I usually do the buffed bosses (extra countermeasures) and the speed one is where i am at.
So, the key to going up higher in heat at first is to pick the things that effect the least amount of fights buffing the bosses is good, but so is the one for making the Elite rooms have more enemies. They end up tougher (some mini-bosses become more scary than actual bosses, imo), but you're still balancing those 1 or 2 fights against the entirety of a buffed Elysium/Styx.

I like the pact that gives the elite enemies extra abilities, because they really change things up. Sometimes to the point of guaranteeing you will take damage, like when you come up against a room full of the kamikaze chariots with buffed speed and/or teleport. That really amps up the variety/challenge.

I did not think Shield was good until after I had enough extra titan blood to upgrade it all the way because I could. The aspect that throws extra shields is insane. You end up throwing 5 shields, so if you get Dionysus' special, you can apply all stacks of poison at once. The charge you have to do to buff the special is still a basic attack, so if you get anything that also applies a debuff (Aphrodite, Demeter, Ares) you get an instant 40% damage buff from having two debuffs. If you get Dio's Cast as well, it has duo boons with Demeter and Zeus, and you can get both of them at the same time! Zeus also has duos with Ares and Demeter, and if you can get billowing strength (+>20% damage buff after call) you end up doing huge damage.

All this good synergy in a build, and you can block! Blocks take 0 damage. Even from Hades.

I really liked Bastion, and I've had Transistor in my library forever assuming it was a guaranteed good time when I got around to it. It's very well reviewed, looks killer and all of that.

I fired it up about two weeks ago, and I gave it two attempts and both times I just shut it off after about 15- 20 min. I didn't get how it wanted to be played and wasn't enjoying it in the slightest. I like the presentation stuff, but as a game I was mightily put off right from the get go.
Yeah, that's my exact problem with Transistor. I love everything about that game except the game part of the game. The combat system was just too different for me, and if it had just played more like Bastion, I'd probably truly love it. I appreciate the innovation, though.

I still listen to that game's sound track. Super Giant games are instant buys from me for the sound track alone.

Popegina

Hymen Holocaust
After not working for 2 months due to the virus, I'm finally back at my old job, but in a part time role until quarantine gets lifted. This is all the shit I beat on PC and PS4, mostly backlog:

Killzone Shadow Fall
The Order 1886
Gears 5
Doom Eternal
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil: Revelations (trash)
Serena
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
platinum'd MK11
Terminator Resistance
Control
Journey
Uncharted 1
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
Uncharted 4
Final Fantasy 7 remake
plus tons of fighting games in general

Currently playing, other than fighting games:

Resident Evil: Revelations 2
Quantum Break
Observation
Zero Escape: The Nonary Games
Devil May Cry 5
Outer Wilds

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
After not working for 2 months due to the virus, I'm finally back at my old job, but in a part time role until quarantine gets lifted. This is all the shit I beat on PC and PS4, mostly backlog:

Killzone Shadow Fall
The Order 1886
Gears 5
Doom Eternal
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil: Revelations (trash)
Serena
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
platinum'd MK11
Terminator Resistance
Control
Journey
Uncharted 1
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
Uncharted 4
Final Fantasy 7 remake
plus tons of fighting games in general

Currently playing, other than fighting games:

Resident Evil: Revelations 2
Quantum Break
Observation
Zero Escape: The Nonary Games
Devil May Cry 5
Outer Wilds
That's going to be hard to top. I've also been off, but not pulled those numbers. I did drop like 40 hours into one RPG which I probably could have used to beat a couple of shorter things.

Most days I just really wish Horizon Zero Dawn PC version was already out. I have it on PS4 but stopped needing a bigger TV at the time to read the text. Really hoping it can be played over 30fps (while knowing my PC probably wouldn't do it).

I got perm canned, so I probably would have to wait to buy anyway. Thinking of giving Shadowrun Returns another go. I've started it like 3 times and keep getting side tracked.

I played through Castlevania Anniversary Collection without save states during the lockdown. That shit was mad fun and made me mad mad, especially CV3.
Otherwise I got to play River City Girls which is an alright beat 'em up with lackluster game design in places and a completely trash ending, was fun though and played a bit of FF7Remake but quit for now, dunno if I'll pick it up again.

Shadowrun Returns and Hong Kong took me a while to beat, too. Games are well-written in some places, but look and play like shitty mobile games. Dunno why it's been like 28 years since X-Com and well over 20 years since Jagged Alliance 2 and those games are still the gold standard of isometric strategy RPGs.

Also honorable mention to Disco Elysium. That game is sick but is less of a classic CRPG and more like reading a novel where you decide where the conversations are going and who your character is. No combat at all and the physical altercations you get are kinda pre-determined by the skills you choose to level.

Last edited:

Second Saint

That's going to be hard to top. I've also been off, but not pulled those numbers. I did drop like 40 hours into one RPG which I probably could have used to beat a couple of shorter things.

Most days I just really wish Horizon Zero Dawn PC version was already out. I have it on PS4 but stopped needing a bigger TV at the time to read the text. Really hoping it can be played over 30fps (while knowing my PC probably wouldn't do it).

I got perm canned, so I probably would have to wait to buy anyway. Thinking of giving Shadowrun Returns another go. I've started it like 3 times and keep getting side tracked.
I enjoyed the 2-3 hours of Shadowrun Returns I played. Fun story and setting, utterly boring gameplay, like every CRPG I've ever played :(

I enjoyed the 2-3 hours of Shadowrun Returns I played. Fun story and setting, utterly boring gameplay, like every CRPG I've ever played :(
Have you tried Baldur's Gate 2? That game at least gives you options in combat. Anyways if you don't like that you might not be the guy for CRPGs.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Have you tried Baldur's Gate 2? That game at least gives you options in combat. Anyways if you don't like that you might not be the guy for CRPGs.
I played BG1 pretty hard for a while many years ago, but I've never taken the time to play BG2. I have installed it a couple of times.

Reminds me that last week I started playing Titan Quest. I'm a few hours in but not been feeling it. I really like the Torchlight games, and a couple others that were similar, but so far I haven't felt too exited by it. I kind of feel like it may just be presentation. Now it just looks kind of brown, and it kind of feels the same. Like I'm wandering around looking at and doing the same thing over and over.

Second Saint

I'm really not. If I were, I'd have gotten farther in Planescape: Torment. As an interactive novel, it's fantastic. But it got to the point where I dreaded getting into a combat situation because it would interrupt an hour long conversation with a random, unimportant npc.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I'm really not. If I were, I'd have gotten farther in Planescape: Torment. As an interactive novel, it's fantastic. But it got to the point where I dreaded getting into a combat situation because it would interrupt an hour long conversation with a random, unimportant npc.
I dig the turn based stuff. I totally recommend "SOTS The Pit" to people with better taste and a masochistic streak.

Second Saint

I dig the turn based stuff. I totally recommend "SOTS The Pit" to people with better taste and a masochistic streak.
I dig proper turn based stuff, but the DnD inspired combat systems common to western crpgs, especially of the late 90's early 2000's era, never appealed to me.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Yeah I kinda figured it was the multi shield I dropped 2 points into it. The block is super nice being combined with mobility also. Once I got the hang of meta of making builds on my own the game got considerably easier. I know for a fact that shit will change as I rise heat though. All the different boons and build make the game so fun and repayable.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
RDR2, Spider-Man, Odyssey. I hadn’t played anything else other thank MK11 since it released so it’s been nice to play other stuff.