What's new

Pushbutton silencers

Derwood1979

Professional Procrastinator
Does anyone have experience using pushbutton silencers? Particulrly 24mm? Do they effect button sensitivity? Do they take away the clickity click?
Thanks!

I use silencers on my stick (30mm buttons). The sensitivity isn't an issue at all, and there still is a subtle "click" feeling. Be aware that the "silencers" only dampen the noise, not eliminate it.

AbeW

Noob
Does anyone have experience using pushbutton silencers? Particulrly 24mm? Do they effect button sensitivity? Do they take away the clickity click?
Thanks!
Silencers change the travel distance and "feel" of the Sanwas. It would feel like a completely different button. I had it on one of my sticks and reverted back to the original feel. If you're ok with the feel of a totally different button, try gamerfingers instead. Gamerfingers are quite silent and expensive ( 6 bucks a piece vs 2 bucks and change for a sanwa). But, they have a very high MTBF, a.k.a, you wouldn't be replacing them as often as sanwas (price may be justified). They make your fingers feel less sore if you're a hard user.

If your wife's not tired of the Sanwa clicks and not waiting to smack you on the head with a frying pan yet, don't worry about adding silencers and stick with the original sanwas. Otherwise, gamerfingers would appear a more robust solution.

Derwood1979

Currently using the silent gamerfinger buttons. Not a fan. I miss the sound and feel of a regular button.
What's up bro, been awhile. Check them Twitter dms, I'm interested in that walkthrough you mentioned about converting that injustice stick to hb.

Explain why gamerfingers are bad before you froth at the mouth
Not frothing, trying to keep my dude from buying them and regretting it like i did.

Aside from missing the click of the button... I think the gf's are slightly bigger as i've had to fight them into holes that sanwas fit in. I also dont like how theyre built. It was easy to apply too much pressure to the .110 contacts when installing, causing them to push the switch away. Just my exp with them tho, im no expert.

AbeW

Noob
Not frothing, trying to keep my dude from buying them and regretting it like i did.

Aside from missing the click of the button... I think the gf's are slightly bigger as i've had to fight them into holes that sanwas fit in. I also dont like how theyre built. It was easy to apply too much pressure to the .110 contacts when installing, causing them to push the switch away. Just my exp with them tho, im no expert.
There can be a) slight tolerancing differences on ALL buttons including sanwa/semitsu types b) tolerancing differences on the button holes in different sticks. Hence, when you install any button brand on any specific stick, lightly sand the button holes/plexi in a circular motion before you start pushing down on them like the hulk. This is universal for all button installations if they feel too tight. I have the last gen Gamerfingers that didn't feel tight at all. So i didn't have to sand them. But, i've had to sand down for sanwa metallic button installation before on one of my sticks.

Generally, screw in button types are better than the push in types for the reason mentioned above. You won't be pushing down right away and will be forced to sand- to-fit before you tighten the screw. Also, the holding tabs tend to get weaker (break) after repeat installations on the push button types, a.k.a if you move them around on different sticks. Screw in buttons don't have this issue and i'd always give my vote to screw-in types.

If the .11 quick disconnect feels too tight, pry it open a bit with a screwdriver before you insert (and not push down on the button terminal like the hulk).

The issues you mentioned feel like you just didn't follow good practices w.r.t installation. I personally have not had any issues with screw-in gamer fingers. If missing the loud characteristic click of a sanwa is not psychologically satisfying, of course, one wouldn't be getting gamerfingers. That is individual preference.

There can be a) slight tolerancing differences on ALL buttons including sanwa/semitsu types b) tolerancing differences on the button holes in different sticks. Hence, when you install any button brand on any specific stick, lightly sand the button holes/plexi in a circular motion before you start pushing down on them like the hulk. This is universal for all button installations if they feel too tight. I have the last gen Gamerfingers that didn't feel tight at all. So i didn't have to sand them. But, i've had to sand down for sanwa metallic button installation before on one of my sticks.

Generally, screw in button types are better than the push in types for the reason mentioned above. You won't be pushing down right away and will be forced to sand- to-fit before you tighten the screw. Also, the holding tabs tend to get weaker (break) after repeat installations on the push button types, a.k.a if you move them around on different sticks. Screw in buttons don't have this issue and i'd always give my vote to screw-in types.

If the .11 quick disconnect feels too tight, pry it open a bit with a screwdriver before you insert (and not push down on the button terminal like the hulk).

The issues you mentioned feel like you just didn't follow good practices w.r.t installation. I personally have not had any issues with screw-in gamer fingers. If missing the loud characteristic click of a sanwa is not psychologically satisfying, of course, one wouldn't be getting gamerfingers. That is individual preference.
Thanx for the read

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I tried silent sanwa buttons when they were first released years ago and really did not like the feel at all. I would also like to switch at some point but I haven't found one that feels right. Going to try to just avoid the frying pan as best as possible.

Derwood1979

I tried silent sanwa buttons when they were first released years ago and really did not like the feel at all. I would also like to switch at some point but I haven't found one that feels right. Going to try to just avoid the frying pan as best as possible.
Its vicious.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I've tried both gamer fingers and silencers both have their flaws. I perfer silencers only in 1 aspect that it really does make me aware of the fact I'm pressing harder then I should. I've taken them out and I'm using a rubber gaskets from my friends work which does seem to do the trick on my hori stick.

Not sure if I will do that on my hitbox. My wife sits right beside me when I'm tapping away. She also been my subtle silencer.

Evil eyes and cast iron skillet on deck.