What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kung Lao Punishing Ninjitsu Scorpion's F2

Grumptronix

Fuck off, I'm not grumpy
So I've working at this in the lab for a little bit, and I can't seem to really see what I can do to efficiently make him scared of throwing random F2s. Ninjitsu's F2 is pretty good (similar to Kotal Kahn's F2), but I may be getting stale in my tactics to punish it, or at least turn over the pressure.

From what I remember, it leaves him at -11 but has great push back. I've successfully punished by running and grabbing him, but he can obviously tech it. I don't think I have enough time to actually input something without him poking me out. Jumping allows him to anti air me so easily. I don't know... I'm fresh out of ideas.

Any experience on punishing or countering Ninjitsu Scorpion's F2 or even Kotal Kahn's F2?

I'll keep on trying, but this is killing me...

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
When spaced properly F2 is virtually safe, a regular EX spin works though if I recall.

I imagine Lao's B2 starter would be a good check after you block it too, even at max range that should connect.

Lao should be able to punish Kahn's F2 with spin surely? It's -10 on block, not the easiest move to punish granted but I would think spin is a solid counter.

Grumptronix

Fuck off, I'm not grumpy
When spaced properly F2 is virtually safe, a regular EX spin works though if I recall.

I imagine Lao's B2 starter would be a good check after you block it too, even at max range that should connect.

Lao should be able to punish Kahn's F2 with spin surely? It's -10 on block, not the easiest move to punish granted but I would think spin is a solid counter.
I tried Buzzsaw EX Spin to punish Scorps F2, but it's pretty frame perfect. Tempest has almost no answer. Thoughts?

Kotal Kahn's F2 can easily be punished by Buzzsaw EX Spin, but I hate using only meter to punish such an easy normal. Regular spin doesn't work, it pushes you too far (unless I'm doing it incorrectly).

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
I tried Buzzsaw EX Spin to punish Scorps F2, but it's pretty frame perfect. Tempest has almost no answer. Thoughts?

Kotal Kahn's F2 can easily be punished by Buzzsaw EX Spin, but I hate using only meter to punish such an easy normal. Regular spin doesn't work, it pushes you too far (unless I'm doing it incorrectly).
Try B3 while in tempest, it won't punish F2 but it should at least check him and you can initiate your own offence.

Lao should be able to use standing 1 for Kotals F2, isn't S1 8 frames? Would be tight but would get you the punish for no meter.

Grumptronix

Fuck off, I'm not grumpy
Try B3 while in tempest, it won't punish F2 but it should at least check him and you can initiate your own offence.

Lao should be able to use standing 1 for Kotals F2, isn't S1 8 frames? Would be tight but would get you the punish for no meter.
At point blank range B2 works on Scorpion. But he would have to guess or react to it. A D4 also connects, so I guess you'd have to switch it up. The minute scorpion plays the right footsies though...

And Kotals F2 pushes you too far to connect with a standing 1.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Wow I'm flattered. I've mained Ninjutsu since before he got the buffs. I still see practically none online. Instead of punishing f2, just know that you're kinda free to start your own offense once you block it. It's not really something that can just be spammed one after the other. It still leaves him quite negative and has a decent amount of startup to it.

Do you find Ninjutsu to be a tough matchup for Kung Lao? Your fast advancing pokes and superior pressure should give you the edge to breach him fishing with f2.

coolwhip

Noob
ex spin can punish mostly all moves that are -6 on block
ex spin is 7 frames. Its range is also not as good as buzz-saw ex spin so depending on the distance/pushback, there are moves that it can't punish. I know you said "mostly" but I'm just making this clear.