What's new

Punishing d+4

Wombat

Noob
I've read and heard a lot of angry rants about d+4 being really, really bad/broken because the risk-reward ratio is too good for Mileena since the only way most characters can respond is a meagre 7% jumpkick. Here's something to help you even the odds a bit:

BARAKA
jk~charge (14%)
corner: jk, chop chop, spin (26%)
CYBER SUB-ZERO
jk, instant far divekick (13%)
CYRAX
corner: jk, 3,3~net, b+2, ragdoll (25%)
ERMAC
jk~lift, jk~TP, ff, 12~push (35%)
JADE
:(
JAX
jk~airthrow (16%)
JOHNNY CAGE
jk~shadow kick (14%)
KABAL
jk~gas ball~spin, b+1,2,1, ff, f+4 (20%)
KANO
jk~ball/upball (17%)
KITANA
jk~fan, f+2,1, ff d+1 (24%)
KUNG LAO
jk~dk, ex-spin, ff 1, ff 2,4,1+3,2 (32%)
LIU KANG
jk~air fireball (13%)
corner: jk, 33~flying kick (18%)
MILEENA
jk~roll, b+1,4, ff 4~bite (28%)
NIGHTWOLF
jk~shoulder charge (15%)
corner: jk, d+1, hatchet, shoulder charge (20%)
NOOB SAIBOT
corner: jk~charge (14%), can corner combo with jk~ex-shadow upknee
QUAN CHI
jk~sky drop (13%)
RAIDEN
jk~torpedo (16%)
REPTILE
jk~slide (14%)
SCORPION
corner: jk, 3~spear, jp,f+2,1~TP (30%)
midscreen: jk~airthrow, EX-hellfire (22%)
SEKTOR
jk~TP, jk~TP (22%)
SHANG TSUNG
jk, d+1~soul steal (22%)
SHEEVA
:(
SINDEL
jk~air fireball (14%)
SMOKE
jk~airthrow (14%)
SONYA
jk~airthrow (14%)
any divekick combo
STRYKER
jk, 4 (15%)
corner: jk, 3 (13%)
corner: jk, d+4, baton sweep (14%)
SUB-ZERO
jk~slide (15%)

As you can see, most characters actually can do more than 7%, with a few being well capable of devastating Mileena with a full combo. Furthermore, this list is very, very basic and I'm pretty sure a lot of the cast can do more than that, but I'll leave the rest to people who actually main them. I also found that most characters can land a d+1 after a jumpkick, so possibly it could help in developing some more damaging juggles. Most of those combos require jk being performed close to the ground, but since Mileenas hitbox is very low while performing d+4 it shouldn't really be an issue.

I hope this helps and somewhat mitigates all the talk how "broken" she is. D+4 is still in my opinion a really good (and really annoying) tool, but I also think that with this stuff being in game it doesn't really have to be nerfed. I mean the game is still very, very fresh and unexplored - some guys should just stop overreacting and give it some time before asking NRS to alter the game with another patch.

Jade actually gets
- JK dash 4, GreenKick X2 for 18%
- JK dash D1, Green Kick X2 for 16%
- JK dash 4, df2 for 16%
- or if you're feeling brave, JK dash 4, Xray for 38% (not recommended but damn...)

These, of course, are dependent on a deep jump kick, which is exactly the kind you need to beat out D4 (and roll too while you're at it)

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Kitana can get 20% and a safe jump or any number of 40-50% combos and this does not include starting with a jk.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Jade can use her overhead to pole stomp any character's d4. An enhanced overhead is even more reliable, then combo of choice :) When I play against Milleena I hope they start trying to abuse the d4, then its pole stomp time.

Creepy00

Noob
For sheeva, Her low throw pop up anyone ducking for 30% combo
Now wouldnt a good Millena player be able to read jump kick in time from her d4? :/

shura30

Shura
players are stubborn

instead of finding ways to deal against something difficult (this won't apply for hat tiers btw) cry for nerfs/buffs

beside the awesomeness of jks and the amazing juggle system in mk i would mention moves that travel half a screen while grounded
so there's no really need to jump all day to get close to mileena (or whatever other character)

nice recap though

Her hitbox is ridiculous. Your best best is blocking the first one, and doing a jump kick on her, forget jip's, unless you're lao and can spin her I think thats the choice. Jump kick works. Not a great punisher but w/e, gets the monkey off your back right quick.

if mileena is crouching just jump punch her which actually leads to full combos it doesnt alaways hit but u have a good chance if u do it with good timing. end of story d+4 isnt imba
i have notcied that some characters have better chances to jump punch her scorpion and kung lao are good at it definately!

Jade can just do a standing 4 or overhead staff.
Nah Jade standing 4 isn't all that effective at the range Mileena should throw this out. She'd have to throw it out on blind anticipation. Overhead staff is much better, but even that if timed incorrectly can be blocked.