What's new

PS4 L2/R2 Issues

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Hey guys! I noticed at the end of last week that the R2 button on my standard DS4 pad was no longer working properly, it was staying pressed in and making it impossible to stop accelerating in rocket league or firing in any kind of shooter. After some online research, I decided to open up the DS4 and take out a spring which has been identified as the culprit for that particular issue. I took out the spring on both the R2 and L2 buttons, only because I didn't want to have to bother with taking the controller apart any more than absolutely necessary. Well unfortunately, I have encountered a minor issue with my L2 button in testing it since. It works fine in games like MK and CoD or TLoU, but I seem to have lost the ability to accelerate in reverse in rocket league. This makes me think that I've somehow screwed the pooch in terms of sensitivity corresponding to L2, but I have no idea how. Anybody else run into this issue?

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
@TopTierHarley I just found an Amazon deal that sells 5 pairs of L2 and R2 buttons for about five bucks, for now I'll remap but in a month or so (they're shipping from China :O) I'll have to try to change it again. It isn't a major issue, but I am a little annoyed that these controllers are so flimsy

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
i knew i dodge the bullet, i have been waiting for this thread to pop up...

i Had PS4 when i started on MKX:(
the controllers sadly are not what they used to be, at least they are not DS3's made of steel controlers.

i switched to Xbox One and havent looked back.
D-PAd is in a weird position and stiff but seems to work after i got used to it.

i reccommend that you get:

Hori FC4 (when i was on PS4 i used FC4 because my R2's allways broke on DS4's:( )

or a

Hitbox (@KHAOTIC True Grave ) seems to do fine with Hitbox:)

that should solve your DS4 problems.

or simply buy an XB1;)

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
i knew i dodge the bullet, i have been waiting for this thread to pop up...

i Had PS4 when i started on MKX:(
the controllers sadly are not what they used to be, at least they are not DS3's made of steel controlers.

i switched to Xbox One and havent looked back.
D-PAd is in a weird position and stiff but seems to work after i got used to it.

i reccommend that you get:

Hori FC4 (when i was on PS4 i used FC4 because my R2's allways broke on DS4's:( )

or a

Hitbox (@KHAOTIC True Grave ) seems to do fine with Hitbox:)

that should solve your DS4 problems.

or simply buy an XB1;)
what is with you and constantly insisting that the xbone is better in every way shape and form dude? yeah it is a good console but so is the playstation, your reason for switching and then shitting on ps is honestly really shitty, you left because of the netcode iirc and that is a problem on EVERYTHING, seriously dude it is getting really annoying with your xbone master race bullshit. i got nothing against xbone hell i likely will get one as well as having my ps4. but really? "dodged a bullet" when you didnt even use the dualshock 4?

MrProfDrPepper

I already use an FC4 for fighters, this is specifically about playing other games with a DS4 and (hopefully) finding a way to fix my L2. That said, I'd really appreciate if you and @MrProfDrPepper didn't turn this into some kind of console pissing contest. Thanks
Lol my bad, I don't mean to hell I like both consoles, it just annoys me when someone gets all elitist because they play on a certain console. I apologize, If you wish I can delete my post so it isn't a problem in the thread on the future.

MadeOfMetal

what is with you and constantly insisting that the xbone is better in every way shape and form dude? yeah it is a good console but so is the playstation, your reason for switching and then shitting on ps is honestly really shitty, you left because of the netcode iirc and that is a problem on EVERYTHING, seriously dude it is getting really annoying with your xbone master race bullshit. i got nothing against xbone hell i likely will get one as well as having my ps4. but really? "dodged a bullet" when you didnt even use the dualshock 4?
wht the fuck are you even talking about, before calling me out, get your facts straight, i dont like the PS4 controller, and i got the XB1 because i gave my PS4 to my bro, he had no consoles and needed one, the online the the same on both , but the XB1 has to wait a while to connect.

i do however love the PS4 and have had zero problems with it.... is it ok that im a PS4 fan boy since PS1 thats excited about getting XB1???
do you approve? or do i need to run that by you as well?

Last edited:

MadeOfMetal

I already use an FC4 for fighters, this is specifically about playing other games with a DS4 and (hopefully) finding a way to fix my L2. That said, I'd really appreciate if you and @MrProfDrPepper didn't turn this into some kind of console pissing contest. Thanks
i didnt turn it into that in any way, if you ever followed any of my post you would know that i play on PS4/PC and XB1 and like them equally;)

sorry i didnt know you use FC4 hori, cuz you didnt post it in OP?

do you know that the Hori has a FPS version for Other games as well, and has the touch pad, its just a thought?

i move back and forth to 2 different houses, and one house has the PC/PS4 and the other has the XB1

just a heads up, dont waist your money on the extra triggers!

the guides in the back case and hinge are made of same said plastic, so it will break the other guides and hinges if you keep switching them out.

i do however here that some people get DS4s and they work just fine with no problems, maybe i got the defected ones, who knows. just dont want you to go threw what i did!

Last edited:

MrProfDrPepper

wht the fuck are you even talking about, before calling me out, get your facts straight, i dont like the PS4 controller, and i got the XB1 because i gave my PS4 to my bro, he had no consoles and needed one, the online the the same on both , but the XB1 has to wait a while to connect.

i do however love the PS4 and have had zero problems with it.... is it ok that im a PS4 fan boy since PS1 thats excited about getting XB1???
do you approve? or do i need to run that by you as well?
I apologize, it just seems like every other thread I'm in you are elevating the xbone onto a pedestal as if it cannot do wrong. I do not wish to contaminate this thread into a console war, that shit sucks. But yeah sorry it was just getting annoying seeing that most posts I see from you are posts telling people how the xbone is so much better. I imagine that isn't all you post but look at it from my perspective, how would that seem to you? Actually don't look at it from my perspective, I would prefer this to stop here so have a nice day dude, enjoy killer instinct because that is one of the few reasons I want to get an xbone and will get one eventually and I am actually jealous of you since ever since launch I really wanted that game.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
i didnt turn it into that in any way, if you ever followed any of my post you would know that i play on PS4/PC and XB1 and like them equally;)

sorry i didnt know you use FC4 hori, cuz you didnt post it in OP?

do you know that the Hori has a FPS version for Other games as well, and has the touch pad, its just a thought?

i move back and forth to 2 different houses, and one house has the PC/PS4 and the other has the XB1

just a heads up, dont waist your money on the extra triggers!

the guides in the back case and hinge are made of same said plastic, so it will break the other guides and hinges if you keep switching them out.

i do however here that some people get DS4s and they work just fine with no problems, maybe i got the defected ones, who knows. just dont want you to go threw what i did!
I hadn't considered the FPS hori pad, that's actually not a bad idea. I figure my current ps4 pad will be fine considering it's rarely used unless i'm playing rocket league, and it's taken roughly 7 months for me to have issues that seem to be relatively simple to repair. At 60 bucks per, I'll probably just keep stringing along my current pad, assuming I can fix L2.

MrProfDrPepper

Oh yeah @juicepouch if you are looking for a fight stick for ps4 I personally recommend the hori real arcade pro v5, it has served me very well and it is a high quality fight stick. The buttons are kind of weird but I got used to then personally, I will probably eventually replace them with other buttons when they get worn out tbh but it is still a great stick. And it works for ps3 and pc as well. I have also heard good things about horis kai line up of fight sticks so you can also look into those.