What's new

Strategy Pressuring with Green Lantern

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
Ok everyone I have been trying to get an idea of what GLs best options for pressure are but I have hit a sang with everything I have tried, I usually use 223, and mix up from there using d1 or minigun. The problem is that GL is negative at the end of most of his strings, so he can be poked out of his next move, and after minigun your opponent can check you ( in flashs case he can sweep and killer frost can slide) so then it becomes very hard to deal with. I have been experimenting with doing 223 nj2, for those who like to duck and mash out, I have also discovered that f2,d1,3 put him at perfect range for a crossover attempt and is +1 on block, however if the opponent ducks the f2 GL can be grabbed and or poked out of the rest of the string. So what I'm asking in the long run is what is a good option besides minigun to keep pressure?(also minigun pushes you out, and while fighting characters like Raven and death stroke, that is the last thing you want to happen.)

If you find a character who likes to counter poke crouch a lot introduce him to your bestie MBF3.

Overall Lanterns Mixup game really isn't that good. Unfortunately a lot of his strings can either be interrupted, backdashed, parried, or ducked out of. A lot of players will crouch against Lanterns and try to react to an overhead. Use F3 to keep these guys honest and receive a small frame advantage to set up a Frame Trap (amazing how often b1 works after a F3 even though is really shouldn't).

Be careful about being too predicable with the F3. It is quick but I see a lot of players telegraph this (similar to how grabs are telegraphed). And bad things happen if the player is good enough to react with a Backdash and a follow up punish.

Doctor

Noob
End all of your combos with Lantern's Might if possible; this leaves you at the range for wake-up mix-up that is preferable and untechable, I've found. You then get to check them with a dash in then B13 combo starter or an F3. This low-overhead mix-up is the basis for Green Lantern's knockdown pressure. Mix in a throw or two and you`ve got deadly basic mix-up. Sure, Green Lantern might not have a LOT of mix-up options, but with B1 at 9 Frames and lowering hitbox and F3 at 15 frames at making Hal immune to lows, the options he does have are solid. The timing on dash in F3 is tight and if you think they`re going to do a High wake-up special, make sure to use your meter-burn and make them respect that option. Also, BF1 is a great tool for keeping people honest. If you hit an Oa`s Rocket at anywhere closer than full-screen (learn the exact range in training mode) you can Meter burn and B13 for a full combo punish. This makes it so that they always have to respect your rockets. 223xxMinigun is a solid string for pressure and meter-building and it leaves you at a good distance. Meter burn minigun does significant chip as well, and there`s always the chance they`ll let go of block and eat a couple percent extra damage. Green Lantern isn`t as strong up close. He`s great at medium-close range: the range where character`s footsies aren`t going to hit him (notoriously d1 for every character and a few solid pokes otherwise) but he can still land a B1. Whiff punishing is solid and know your frame data.

Endeavor

Alright Ill have to try that, I have been experimenting with bounce canceling 2,2 but I hate that it cost 2 bars of meter. I have also been trying to learn the spacing for crossovers in this game but its quite tricky and different from mk.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I use some neutral jump 1's - they work like a charm, come out fast enough to beat any jump attack attempts, and catch people off guard who are attempting to poke or otherwise start offense. But if they're poking every time, you can jump 3 them into b1 for a full combo. F3 is risky because it has hardly any forward range, so it's easy to whiff -- so when it comes to overhead attacks, I use j3 a lot more.

You can also backdash after 223 and then punish them after they whiff.

Also, when people block strings or d1 and are likely to counterattack, you can always jumpback rocket. The good thing about GL is that he doesn't need to be all the way in his opponent's face to pressure, so don't be afraid to space people out again and bait a punishable action.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
You can also backdash after 223 and then punish them after they whiff.
This. If they are poking every time after a 223 or 2231 then I like to backdash and punish. Sometimes I will just backdash and b3 on a read because if they block it you basically reset the situation since you can 223 again.

Endeavor

This. If they are poking every time after a 223 or 2231 then I like to backdash and punish. Sometimes I will just backdash and b3 on a read because if they block it you basically reset the situation since you can 223 again.
What do you use to punish after you back dash? Cause I have been experimenting with back dash punishing but the recovery from back dashing is so bad that it makes punishing with b1 useless.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
What do you use to punish after you back dash? Cause I have been experimenting with back dash punishing but the recovery from back dashing is so bad that it makes punishing with b1 useless.
If you aren't getting it with b1 I would just do lift since even though it is 1 frame more startup the move should hit on the first active frame. That is probably the surest option.

Endeavor

The problem is I back dash and due to the recovery that back dashing has in the game, the move either A: does not come out, or B: the second part of it comes out and so instead of b13 I get plain b3 and my opponent blows me up. Its getting frustrating because I feel as though my friend is scrubbing me out by mashing out of my pressure, and even if I back dash after a string anticipating his pokes with the intention to whiff punish, I cant cause my move will not come out. Even if i mash out lantern's might on back dash, 9 times out of 10 the opponent will recover and punish me for it. And for some reason mbf3 at the end of 223, or 22 is inconsistent cause sometimes it works, other times it gets stuffed.