What's new

Strategy Pressuring the Roll

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
I've been struggling to keep pressure on opponents who like to tech roll after knockdowns. I was trying to dash in after every hit to keep up the pressure. As a result, I missed a lot of command grabs and double punches because of this.

I was testing how to pressure the roll and found a few things:

1.) After knocking an opponent down with a move that can be tech rolled a forward dash brings Bane back into pressure range with the range on his attacks.

2.) After the dash, a D1 to hit confirm them back into a double punch or command grab works out.

If you can keep in dash range after a tech roll, you can dictate a mix up with Bane's D1, Double Punch and F2D.

Any more thoughts on this? Or suggestions in other ways to deal with tech rolls?

Reactions: RYX

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I like when they tech roll. Gets them in the corner much faster.

This is valuable information. I am glad you posted it.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
It does get them closer to the corner, but I feel like you have to go through the process of getting back in to play to Bane's strengths. And I don't like the idea of turtling up when venom runs out unless you absolutely must. I like to stay in and put them in mix ups in hopes of landing a command grab to run the timer down.

All of this requires fairly fast fingers and can really pressure you in a way. Especially the D1 into double punch or body press.

What do you personally do against someone that tech rolls everything, RYX?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I steamroll them. I do not let them have the comfort of trying to escape. Counter anything with armor, especially bounces as you can absorb a hit and then blow them up. Pressure is the way to go, shove them in the corner at all costs.

I don't agree with turtling when Venom runs out. Why not do frame traps and bide your time up close? Cancelling into ground bounce leaves you +9 for free frame traps which continue to run down the timer. Being at enough - frames isn't a burden with meter as you gain push block which puts you in your favor vs possibly everyone as this is exactly where Bane wants to be. Knowing how and when to stay close is the best thing you can do. I would only turtle against characters who need to be up close as you can punish attempts to get in. Using command grab is also one of his best options for running down the juice box as it lasts a long time and combined with tick throws becomes very frustrating for some.

And yes, Bane seems to put strain on your hands and mind. I am much better with him in theory than actuality but this will change soon.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
I agree about not turtling entirely. I just said in instances when you lose ground and aren't close enough to back them down. Without any armor I feel like it's a useless process. But if you can stay in, I agree entirely.

What strategies are you using to steam roll them? I'm mainly trying to pressure with the double punch, and B2, 3 combo starters.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I agree about not turtling entirely. I just said in instances when you lose ground and aren't close enough to back them down. Without any armor I feel like it's a useless process. But if you can stay in, I agree entirely.

What strategies are you using to steam roll them? I'm mainly trying to pressure with the double punch, and B2, 3 combo starters.
D.1 and forward 2 down are my go to options for checking people. Both safe on block and both have monstrous range. On knockdown either of his low starters(usually b.11 for the tick throw option or hit confirm to b112~double punch.)

When I lose ground, I make up for it in a steady manner. Walking and blocking with the occasional dash if I know I can make it.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
D.1 and forward 2 down are my go to options for checking people. Both safe on block and both have monstrous range. On knockdown either of his low starters(usually b.11 for the tick throw option or hit confirm to b112~double punch.)

When I lose ground, I make up for it in a steady manner. Walking and blocking with the occasional dash if I know I can make it.
I never thought to chain the B112 into the double punch. Do you follow the Forward 2 Down with anything? Or do you dash forward if it connects?

But, with the roll, I feel like a forward dash is necessary on any knockdown other than what the body press gives you. I might not have discovered anything else though.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I never thought to chain the B112 into the double punch. Do you follow the Forward 2 Down with anything? Or do you dash forward if it connects?

But, with the roll, I feel like a forward dash is necessary on any knockdown other than what the body press gives you. I might not have discovered anything else though.
F.2.Down links into Double punch for more carry and command grab. Neither can be hit confirmed so I generally do f.2.d. 2 as it's only -2 as opposed to -4 from Double Punch.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
F.2.Down links into Double punch for more carry and command grab. Neither can be hit confirmed so I generally do f.2.d. 2 as it's only -2 as opposed to -4 from Double Punch.
I haven't tried the F2D into either of those yet. You've got some great ideas.

I'm new to the fighting game lingo, so at the risk of sounding like a newbie, what are the negative frame rates? And how do they relate to the Bane rushdown?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I haven't tried the F2D into either of those yet. You've got some great ideas.

I'm new to the fighting game lingo, so at the risk of sounding like a newbie, what are the negative frame rates? And how do they relate to the Bane rushdown?
Not at all. Questions are good.

Negative frames are when the block stun of the person blocking ends sooner than yours, normally granting them advantage. In this game a move has to be around -6 to be considered punishable by some and about -10 to be punishable by all. -2 is really insignificant. Being less than -6 is good and 0 or even + on block is superb for someone like Bane.

While Bane doesn't have much that's excessively negative, he can lose a bit of momentum without meter or Venom to back him up as people gain advantage. This, in my opinion, is an perfect time to use his range and get that cool down taken care of.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
I see what you're saying. So, the double punch grants two less frames for the opponent to retaliate if they block it? I can see how that's useful, especially when pressuring. I assume that if it gets block you go into a D1?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I see what you're saying. So, the double punch grants two less frames for the opponent to retaliate if they block it? I can see how that's useful, especially when pressuring. I assume that if it gets block you go into a D1?
Two more frames. Being -4 means the opponent is +4.

F.2.down, 2 is only -2 so I feel it grants a smaller window on block to take away my momentum and on hit it gives some really good advantage. Not sure if the tech roll issues come into play here.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
So, the higher the number on block, the more at an advantage the attacker is?

We should test out if they can roll after the knockdown. When I get time tomorrow I'll test each knockdown he has out and make a list.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Yes if you're higher on - frames. On positive or + frames higher means more advantage for the person initiating it.