What's new

Preactice mode improvements

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
This thread is for practice mode improvements to the present MK9. Post your wishes. I'll be updating.
- picking the wake-up attack for the AI;
- picking the AI do a move/special attack/combo string repeatedly with the option of 0/1/3/5 seconds interval;
- record function for the AI;
- meter arrangements, like let the AI have1/2/3 bars; let him use/not use bars etc.;
- option for the AI to block before/after an attack;
- choose the AI do a certain attack after a blocked string;
- ghosting;
- possibility to choose TAG practice against only 1 AI; it really isn't needed for 2 AI's to practice TAG games, only if a human should be the opponent, which would be selected as an option; or make it so that the beaten AI doesn't change with the second character, it's annoying and pointless;

Bugs:
- when recording and entering the menu, the character repeats the attacks you press in the menu: e.g. you start recording, then press start and select "AI options" by pressing 4 (circle on PS3), do some changes, then press 4 (X on PS3) to apply changes and exit the menu with another 3; the recording will start with your character doing the following attacks: 4, whatever you pressed, 4, 3 and after, it will do whatever you intentioned to record. This thing is not necessary, as you can do all changes to the AI before starting the recording, but it is unexplicable and sometimes messes up the recording.

Special:
- Online mode (LoL, thanks to Larry_Bird for the idea) - online Mortal Kombat does have its own rules :)

aj1701

Noob
Ghosting. It would solve EVERYTHING.
Someone else posted about Tekkens ghosting, and it sounds really impressive. They had an idea to be able to save ghost profiles and be able to send them.. that would be hella cool. Imagine practicing against Brandy's sub, Konqrr or 16 bits Kitana, etc, or anything Reo plays. That would be epic.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Ghosting is when the game records your playstyle, and makes it available for everyone. So, say for example you were having trouble getting out of cages frame traps. You could download a very well known cage players ghost, and then practice the matchup and learn how to beat it.

Basically, the ai would mimic the setups the cage player uses. AI does not know how to frame trap in this game, but a ghosting ai would.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
TC posted all the important things I want. But to nitpick, I want the stages to be selected randomly when you pick your characters. It's so annoying having to start in the same level each and every time when you forget to manually choose one. And lastly, I want the option to start on the right side of the screen when you press back. Becomes annoying having to move to the right side to set yourself up every single time.

And if we're going to dig a bit deeper into Tag mode, there should be an option so that when you beat up one AI, it doesn't disappear in place of the tag team partner. This crap interrupts combos.

Ghosting and making the AI do a certain special move/better AI to fight against in this game would be amazing.

I can't seem to learn how to fight Mileena online, the countless times i've played her, I can't get out of her fucking teleport. It would be amazing to play against that shit in training mode.

SLy

Noob
I Vote For a Online Training Mode..It Could definitley prove useful..If SFxT can do it why cant we?

Sasuga

Noob
Ghosting should be standard in modern fighting games. Seriously.

It would also be cool if the computer keeps an online record on how certain moves are punished and which ones are done with a high amount of safety. And take in account the spacing between characters and the position on the playfield. That information would then be used to have a computer controlled character play with maximum efficiency. As players find ways to beat it, it's play-style would also adopt to it.

Ghosting should be standard in modern fighting games. Seriously.

It would also be cool if the computer keeps an online record on how certain moves are punished and which ones are done with a high amount of safety. And take in account the spacing between characters and the position on the playfield. That information would then be used to have a computer controlled character play with maximum efficiency. As players find ways to beat it, it's play-style would also adopt to it.
No doubt. I also feel if done correctly you could train against other players ghost....like Chris G, Tom Brady, CDjr or 16 bit.....with their tendencies. I would never touch online again if I could go against ghost with player tendencies done right. I still wonder why street fighter hasn't taken advantage of the ghost system either....hopefully mk can. (and they should test it too...like see how well it can actually mimics a tourney player, and how well it does against others)

As for tekken...the only issue that hurts the ghost system is that they don't move around with the ff d/u or bb d/u cancel It's sort of like the dash cancel in MK. Instead of the AI to dash cancel in tekken, they charge foward....or just double tap foward. It makes the AI slower than tourney players. Though the Ghost system in tekken has combos and juggles on point, unlike expert difficulty in MK that can barely even do a basic bnb combo, and fails at punishing mistakes.

kilnkilagn

Kill-n-Kill Again
I think every parameter of the AI should be controlled by the user. Example: I set Mileena up to jump back, dash forward, d3, jump punch, u4, u4, dive kick. After it executes I see that I want to keep the sequence, but add in a 1 second standing block after the d3. That allows me to test different offensive tactics against the parameters I've set, but also allows me to change those parameters anywhere in the sequence up to and including editing moves into and out of it, including how long it will block, high or low, dash forward and back, poke me, full combo, partial combo...Everything. Literally.

As for online, there should be a practice mode, same as the offline one. And we should have the option of turning off the timer, as well as a Rematch selection to stay in the arena with the same fighters. Now that I think of it, we should have a best of 3, 5, 7, and 10 option as well that automatically locks in the fighters and arena, restarts after each match, and keeps score. Perhaps that suggestion belongs in a different thread, but it just came to me, so...If there is a thread for MK Online Suggestions, point me to it.