What's new

Practicing offline.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Lead Moderator
I have been playing this game since launch. I've clocked around 650 hours both on PS3 and XBOX versions (Combined). The one thing I know for sure is that

Online Sucks Dick.

What I'm trying to ask is how can I really enhance my skill offline? I'm trying to get a lot of my friends to play to see if I can get practice against other characters offline because online Its hard for example to punish a reptile dash with a full combo(offline cage can punish it with a 2,1 F+2). I will also be attending NEC soon. But besides that, I have a lot of extra time in which instead of playing

If I had to rate my skill out of 10 right now it would be probably an 8 (Placing 13th out of 140 some odd people at ECT3, and I have a decent win ratio online if that even counts). I understand every character's properties and strings. I, however have a really hard time dealing with the inconsistencies in this game.

tl;dr how do I get an extra 20% to my skill without even touching that dreaded online mode?

Playpal

Kombatant
Whom do you plan on using for NEC? As for improving your game without actually playing, I would recommend learning more about how this game works. Knowing is half the battle. Go into the lab and don't come out. Test the recovery of all your strings and specials, see if you're at disadvantage. Get familiar with frame data. Learn other characters. Get down their bnbs and general gameplay. Learn their frame data. Practice combos. Learn to snuff out jumps with d1 after a neutral block string. Practice set ups. See if strings jail. Did you know Reptile's acid hand is disadvantage? Did you know Shang Tsung's ground skull doesn't jail? You want to know everything about everyone.

Flagg

Warrior
There is nothing worse then picking up a new main, spend a couple of hours doing his bnbs, you go online and drop said combos. Because characters like Reptile practically have safe specials on block, its like a whole new tier exists for online.

I want to go to a offline tournie at some point. I play with some guys of a pretty decent level online but that's it. I don't have a "local" scene where I live. The death of the arcade I felt meant people stopped playing the kinda games you'd find in a arcade on their consoles, hence why a lot of morons here (UK) just play MW all day long. I run casual online tournaments now and again, to keep a somewhat competitive online scene going.

the fact that you dont play online means you are 20% better than the 20% of the people that own MK and still play it online

tl;dr: you still suck