What's new

Guide Practical Shazam Combos

Raisin Bran

Two Scoops!
Hello, I saved these for post NEC even though it wouldn't have mattered anyway (1-2)

I had heard that playing in a tournament you get jittery and nervous, so for NEC 14 being my first tournament, I figured I'd sit down and try to figure out either the simplest, or easiest to remember combos for Shazam, that also have the highest damage output for their simplicity.

Of course, there are likely more damaging combos than what I've shown here, and a few of the combos here can be augmented to eke out an extra percentage or two. Additionally, many of the combos are not trait-optimized, that is, they don't benefit too intensely from trait.

Hope you like the vid:

Shout out to @AK Pig Of The Hut for inspiring me to make this today.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Very nice combos. I do enjoy how simple they are. Very good for someone just starting to learn the character and for people with not the best execution. Yes there are more damaging combos i do thank you for putting this video together for people who wish to learn Shazam. If you have any questions about Shazam i can answer some. Also Just a suggestion dont Cancel F22 into Command Grab. Wait a second and then do the Command Grab for a Reset they cant get out of. XD

Raisin Bran

Two Scoops!
why not go to the Shazam bnb thread to max out your damage tho?
Well the J2/F22 = 12% damage. If you time the HM right afterwards its essentially unblockable, and that means you can do a 38% combo off a raw HM, which when combined means a total of 50% damage for one bar. Wheras, just doing the bnb listed here off of a J2/F22xxHM will yeild at max about 43-45% off one meter. Ultimately the reset allows you to maximize damage.

Additionally J2 / F22 xx Trait is pretty safe, and unless your opponent is expecting it you can HM them afterwards for even more damage.

I left resets out of this vid as I figure I could make a vid out of resets, bounce cancels, and other shenanigans he has.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Well, I think that something as simple as f22; HM reset is simple enough to be considered a BnB off f2 starter.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Awesome, this is great for the Scrub-billy batson lurking within me. lol hopefully I'll be able to level some of this stuff up! :)

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
Just checked out the video- great stuff. Appreciate the "practicality" of it. Look forward to putting Trait on some of them and seeing the pros/cons to that.

Yoaks

A spaceman
Really good stuff! I been messing around with "SHAAZAAM" as my "fun do give any fucks" type of character and the only combo I really did was his j2 xx f22 xx Herculean Might xx etc. . Alot of the combo's later into the video I like alot and will put into my game!

Yoaks

A spaceman
Really good stuff! I been messing around with "SHAAZAAM" as my "fun do give any fucks" type of character and the only combo I really did was his j2 xx f22 xx Herculean Might xx etc. . Alot of the combo's later into the video I like alot and will put into my game!
"fun don't* give any fucks"

Raisin Bran

Two Scoops!
Just checked out the video- great stuff. Appreciate the "practicality" of it. Look forward to putting Trait on some of them and seeing the pros/cons to that.
I have a separate set of combos for each of the starters specific to trait. I was going to add them but they are somewhat specific to each opener, and there isn't a sort of standard system that could be applied like the combos in the video.

"fun don't give any fucks"
I like this as a descriptor of Shazam. Gonna steal that :p

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
Right on @Raisin Bran.
I guess a good question would be: Would traiting up after a F22 reset get the damage a little higher on some of these?
I'm not super familiar on Shazam's post-patch trait scaling. I know it doesn't always benefit combos now

Raisin Bran

Two Scoops!
Right on @Raisin Bran.
I guess a good question would be: Would traiting up after a F22 reset get the damage a little higher on some of these?
I'm not super familiar on Shazam's post-patch trait scaling. I know it doesn't always benefit combos now
tbh I rarely trait up. At best you have to re-learn combos for it to make a noticeable difference OR its a mood changer - it seems people are more likely to run away because they fear your damage output.

I sppose It depends on the situation. If you're down to one or less meter, the trait would probably be worth the gamble. Off a mbHM I can get 44% (one bar) or 53% with two. Or I could go for a Guaranteed 38% with one bar, or guaranteed 47% with two.

In general trait seems to add between 5% and 10% extra damage if you optimize the combos. This would totally be worth it if it came out faster or could otherwise be combo'd into, but as f22 seems like the only safe way to get into it without burning meter, I personally stick with what is solid. Though it may be worth it to do every once in a while, if you've conditioned your opponent to expect the grab after the reset. Still, Shazam has to work to get in on a lot of opponents, and I'm usually not willing to let up once I get in.

His trait would kick ass if one of the following were additionally true about it:
- Activated fast like Superman's
- Increased damage on ALL of his normals
- Expanded the size of his normals' hitboxes
- Made his normals unclashable (lol)
- Reduced the startup of his normals by 1-2 frames
- Gave his Grabs 1 hit of armor

Indecisive

When you have trait push that button when you can. Always. Its amazing. And his trait actually does have decent activation. Does more chip. And other awesome shit.

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
tbh I rarely trait up. At best you have to re-learn combos for it to make a noticeable difference OR its a mood changer - it seems people are more likely to run away because they fear your damage output.

I sppose It depends on the situation. If you're down to one or less meter, the trait would probably be worth the gamble. Off a mbHM I can get 44% (one bar) or 53% with two. Or I could go for a Guaranteed 38% with one bar, or guaranteed 47% with two.

In general trait seems to add between 5% and 10% extra damage if you optimize the combos. This would totally be worth it if it came out faster or could otherwise be combo'd into, but as f22 seems like the only safe way to get into it without burning meter, I personally stick with what is solid. Though it may be worth it to do every once in a while, if you've conditioned your opponent to expect the grab after the reset. Still, Shazam has to work to get in on a lot of opponents, and I'm usually not willing to give it up once I get in.

His trait would kick ass if one of the following were additionally true about it:
- Activated fast like Superman's
- Increased damage on ALL of his normals
- Expanded the size of his normals' hitboxes
- Made his normals unclashable (lol)
- Reduced the startup of his normals by 1-2 frames
- Gave his Grabs 1 hit of armor
Okay, gotcha. I understand your logic. I do agree with staying IN on the opponent once you have momentum, since Shazam already has trouble getting in sometimes.
And I totally can agree with his trait activating likes Superman's. OMG would that help a lot.
I also have to agree with @ISF_AWG_Indecisive on the same token. Some matches I do want trait active as much as possible, due to it's offensive benefits.
Both strategies can win a match.

Indecisive

Okay, gotcha. I understand your logic. I do agree with staying IN on the opponent once you have momentum, since Shazam already has trouble getting in sometimes.
And I totally can agree with his trait activating likes Superman's. OMG would that help a lot.
I also have to agree with @ISF_AWG_Indecisive on the same token. Some matches I do want trait active as much as possible, due to it's offensive benefits.
Both strategies can win a match.
There are some combos that can add trait mid combo. But they are pointless IMO and the combo is about to end anyway so its kinda pointless. Also since trait does 2% chip per hit its a good way to end a round

Raisin Bran

Two Scoops!
Indecisive probably knows better than I so I'll tender to his position, and try out using trait more often. Didn't know about the chip, thanks!

Indecisive

Indecisive probably knows better than I so I'll tender to his position, and try out using trait more often. Didn't know about the chip, thanks!
Dont think about it like that. You may know stuff that i have no idea about. Thats why as the Shazam Community we need to work together and improve. Im pushing the use of trait because of how good it is. I used to never use it. Then KDZ asked me why didnt i use it since it gave so much extra damage. And then i started using it more and i have been ever since. Its so useful. The feel when you have trait and do a corner combo is so good.

Raisin Bran

Two Scoops!
Dont think about it like that. You may know stuff that i have no idea about. Thats why as the Shazam Community we need to work together and improve. Im pushing the use of trait because of how good it is. I used to never use it. Then KDZ asked me why didnt i use it since it gave so much extra damage. And then i started using it more and i have been ever since. Its so useful. The feel when you have trait and do a corner combo is so good.
Good point! I played a few matches tonight and found the trait is actually fairly quick. I suppose I just wish that it would activate fast enough to be added into a combo after a meter burned HM. Wishful thinking! I suppose I should make a 'Practical Shazam Trait Combos' vid to back this one up at some point. This may work well with a collection of resets and gimmicks that I've been slowly researching and am hoping to put together soon.