What's new

planning to build a stick

HK_BFG

Noob
i am planning on building myself a custom hybrid stick. the idea of this project is to have a single box with both hibox buttons and a joystick. does anybody here have any advice for a low cost build? (first time building a stick)

aj1701

Noob
Eh, I'm not sure building a stick is your low cost option. I've spent ~$80 so far on my hitbox like controller, and that was 15 buttons, wire, quick connects, pcb, usb passthru, 15' usb cable, and 1' usb cable. I've also dropped $30 on the drill bits because I opted for Sanwa buttons, so I got a 24mm and 30mm bit for the button holes. I'm having a friend build the box for me, and I expect to at least pay for materials if not give him something for his time. And then a bit more for someone to do some art for me, and there's some finishing details I'll need, like rubber feet, spary paint and maybe some molding.

On top of that, you'll have a stick, so add another $15 to 75 depending on what you get.

Lizard Lick seems to have good prices for buttons wires, usb, etc. The PCB you'll probably want to get from Toodles directly (www.godlikecontrols.com).

Also, are you going for xbox or PS3, or a dual mod? Mine will be PS3/PC only, I could dual mod, but I'd need an xbox controller to caniablize, and another pcb or two (IMP to wire the xbox controller to the Chtualu, and maybe SOCD cleaning).

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I want to make sure you'll have a realistic idea of the cost.

I'm having fun so far, I did the button layout myself (I'll have buttons for directions like a hitbox, but the MK layout), and I'll be putting the buttons together with the PCB and applying the artwork. Hopefully it will turn out pretty nice.

Good luck!

HK_BFG

Noob
right now it looks like im using sanwa buttons and an il joystick. this stick is going to be 360 only using direct solder on a gamestop controller. i'm planning on cannabalizing the case from something else (saw a hitbox from a guncase on these forums)

aj1701

Noob
right now it looks like im using sanwa buttons and an il joystick. this stick is going to be 360 only using direct solder on a gamestop controller. i'm planning on cannabalizing the case from something else (saw a hitbox from a guncase on these forums)
I see. So your biggest expense will be the 15 buttons, followed by the stick. The wire is cheap, but I'm not sure how much you need.. I'm hoping I got enough. 15 buttons (assuming 5 24mm and 10 30mm, which the standard hitbox is all 24mm except fro the jump which is 30mm, so if you do that it will be less) around $30 and $13 for the IL stick, plus wire and shipping and maybe quick connections if you don't want to solder the wires to the buttons. That would be from Lizard Lick.

Are you looking to spend less than that?

HK_BFG

Noob
so that comes out to what? 50 bucks?

thats fine because im also using this as a project in my technology class.

axeman87

Noob
Low cost build mainly just involves using cheap parts since your doing all the work yourself.

Cant do much about the Stick and Buttons other than buying cheapies, but you could probably get a cheap X360 controller for the PCB from a second hand shop or Ebay. Maybe even a half busted one that has a faulty analogue control since you'll be blanking it out anyway.

For the case, just pick up some off cuts from a timber yard or something. You only need 4 matching pair lengths. For the top and base do the same thing. Well for the base, you could just use whatever you find really since you don't see it.

axeman87

Noob
Just remembered I have all the parts you need. I've got left overs from 2 different mods, so thats... 1x 8 buttons, 2x 2 buttons & 1x 8 buttons and one stick. Got an old X360 controller as well that plays up.

All the parts work fine (except the PCB which I'm not 100% sure on), except they are just poor quality.

I'd give it to you but I'm in Australia. If you work out the postage and its cheaper than buying it just send me a PM. You can have the stuff, dont need it. :)

HK_BFG

Noob
what buttons/stick are they?

im trying to figure out this postage question.

Edit: looks to be about $150 US

axeman87

Noob
Cant see where you live, but postage shouldn't be that much mate. I'm guessing something closer to $50.

Heres a list of the parts.

8x Black/grey 30mm buttons - Taken from Tekken6 wireless arcade stick.
2x Yellow 25mm buttons - Also taken from Tekken6 stick (Google it)
8x White 28mmm buttons - Taken from Paewang Revolution stick.
1x Stick - Also taken from Paewang Revolution stick.
1x Original wirelss X360 PCB - From an old controller that I painted that ended up looking horrible.

I checked the contoller the other day and all functions worked fine, although I remember there was some problem with it I cant remember what it was. Played around with for about 10-15 minutes and everything was fine. I was playing MK9 however, so the issue may lie with the analogue sticks, which wont be a problem for a fight stick.

axeman87

Noob
Mate, just checked and standard Air-mail to the Us from Australia for parcels up to 1kg is about $30. The items dont weight much at all so it wont be any higher than that.

If you want to paypal me $50Au we'll call it even. I'll pack it up, box it and flick it over to ya.

It'll probably take 2 weeks. Usually what it takes when I order things from the US. If you need it now Express post is about twice as much, but it will get there in about 48-72 hours.

Just PM me if you want to go ahead.

axeman87

Noob
Hey mate, my new stick and buttons arrived yesterday. Its the parts I was swaping out of my Paewang Revolution. I wired it all up last night so the buttons and stick from it are ready to go.

I've kept the parcel and bubble wrap in came in so I can use this to send you stuff I dont need anymore. Will save me having to spend anything on a parcel or wrapping.

With that said, you can just it for the cost of the postage which will probably be about $35Au... if your in the US?

Anyways, let me know if your keen. I'll pack it all up and take it down the shop to have it weighted then tell you how much the postage will be.

HK_BFG

Noob
why is it that nobody has tried tyhis kind of hybrid stick before?

or is it that people have done it and i cant find it?

axeman87

Noob
What... a Hitbox/Stick combo?

There is another thread here from someone who built a nice Scarlet themed Hitbox.

Before completion though, he had it set up as with both stick and buttons. Check that out.

As for why do it? Probably not much reason. I imagine the learnging curve for a hitbox is pretty steep and you would need to be devoted to it for it to be viable. With that said, you would have to drop stick fighting altogether and focus on hitbox exclussively, so why have a stick there getting in the way.