What's new

Picking up Shang Tsung

I'm sort of new to Shang Tsung and I was wondering if you guys can give me some tips and tricks on how to be decent with him, like mixups, etc. Thanks :)

Massicus

Noob
Unlock his second costume
learn this combo (do a jumppunch every beginning)
221, middle fireball, far fireball, enchanced fireball, uppercut,(instead of the uppercut I've seen people do 4? into soulsteal but I cant do it myself)
221, middle fireball, X-ray (I wouldn't suggest doing X-rays with Shang Tsung, but if you're in the last match and you wanna get a 100% kill)
221, middle fireball, soulsteal if you know the opponents character.
Watch Alex Valle's Matches
Do the 1st fatality when facing male characters
Do the 2d fatality when you want the camera to zoom into the bewbs of a female character.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Just read people, if they don't have a slide or teleport throw the appropriate fire ball whether it's a toward skull, an up skull or ground skull. Like if they're gonna rush you throw a upskull in front of them and go in at them and start a combo. A lot of the times people get hit by these up skulls. You can do the same with the ground skulls as well, except you need to keep the combo going with another ground skull.

As for mixups, throwing out a surprising upskull after a string like 12 is always interesting, you get to see if they are a person who can't let go of block when under pressure or if he's someone who will jump at any moment to let go of block and attack.

Of course Shangs overhead is like b2 or f2, that can be canceled into soul steal. So if someone is just blocking your strings low you can hit them with that.

Uh he's got his low string which is kinda slow and unsafe on block but hey it's a mixup. I think it's like f3 4 or something like that. Check your moves list you'll find it, it can be comboed into medium skull, far skull ex skull into another close ground skull into a dash in 1 soul steal. Timing is strict on the 1 into SS. Does solid damage though. You can also end it with 12 up skull for pressure.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
221 mid skull, far skull, ex skull, close skull, soul steal- My BnB

f434 into either mid skull far skull ex skull close skull soulsteal if it hits or into a close skull which is unavoidable and must be blocked. Good for mix ups therefore. You could do f434 close skull or f434 throw.

Corner Rape I use: f434 close skull, jump kick at them, f434 upskull. This therefore gives you the opportunity to do the f434 again as it resets. If they do anything the upskull gets them. Good for locking down.

Soul steal is quite safe. Don't be afraid to use it.

Danno

Noob
I used Jump in punch with 2 then 221 close fireball, mid fireball, far fireball, EX fireball

I usually finish with upskull to regular fireball. I use regular fireball cause it seems easier for me to do then a forward+4,3 soulsteal

Why do you guys not include close fireball? Does it mess with the gravity or timing on the finisher?

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
I used Jump in punch with 2 then 221 close fireball, mid fireball, far fireball, EX fireball

I usually finish with upskull to regular fireball. I use regular fireball cause it seems easier for me to do then a forward+4,3 soulsteal

Why do you guys not include close fireball? Does it mess with the gravity or timing on the finisher?
Less gravity scaling, timing is not that strict on following skulls, mid gr. gets the most damage for the finisher, if you hit an upskull and you're close, you'll have to dash cancel jp if you wanna get the full bnb. You dont have to dash cancel to jp 2,2,1 mid on that situation.

Rabid Justice

Your Soul Is Mine
Always make sure you end any of his dial in some kind of fire ball otherwise your opponent can get up grab a beer take a drink then punish you with combo of choice.

Both above and ground skulls give advantage on hit and basically if you don’t have a skull on the screen you’re playing him wrong. Soul steal is great for rang poking and ex has armor to beat out projectile trades just make sure you know the basics with the character you change into or how to run if the rush in.

ive learned alot playing aganist sigmar and shoyuuuken, and both have very distinct styles. sigmar likes to zone while shoryuuken likes to pressure.

certain characters without morphs and enhanced armor can be dealt with quite easily. zone them from afar and keep them guessing on every fireball you use.
as far as pressure goes, watch detroit ballin. his pressure game is astonishing. im still haveing trouble with the D3 and fireballs.

feel free to add me and il help out with whatever i can.

also, if you know the character your going against and can manage to squeeze a soul steal and immediatley hit a combo, while greatly enhance your damages.

tweek

Noob
Recently I've also picked up Shang and I think je's absolutely legend. One thing, however, that I've seen Valle do that I have no slightest idea how to do is a groud skull appearing behind him after a bnb combo. For example, after 122, midskull, farskull, ex mid/far skull, I saw him dash forward and a ground skull would appear behind him directly where the opponent was falling. How does he do that?

Recently I've also picked up Shang and I think je's absolutely legend. One thing, however, that I've seen Valle do that I have no slightest idea how to do is a groud skull appearing behind him after a bnb combo. For example, after 122, midskull, farskull, ex mid/far skull, I saw him dash forward and a ground skull would appear behind him directly where the opponent was falling. How does he do that?
misread that :) nevermind

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
That was patched out. Now people walk backwards during the ex up skulls and do a close skull to continue the unbreakable carry.