What's new

Piano Method Tricks You've Found

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
What are some of the ways you're using to aid in certain situations?

I've started incorporating piano method (technically just sliding my thumb since I'm on a pad LOL!) to get neutral jump punches at the earliest frame possible. It helps in Reptile's BnB combos.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I am trying to learn this also, its a pain in the ass but I did not spend that much time. I tried a couple different ways, the situation I use it in (or am trying to) I have to move forward slightly forward and perform it.....makes it very frustrating when I hit up and punch at the same time and he just jumps straight up and down.

I am on pad also and I kinda like it for mk which surprises me because I can barely move with one in tekken.

Ribx

Noob
What are some of the ways you're using to aid in certain situations?

I've started incorporating piano method (technically just sliding my thumb since I'm on a pad LOL!) to get neutral jump punches at the earliest frame possible. It helps in Reptile's BnB combos.
After playing at the Pan-European demo tournament in Birmingham on the worst setup possible (terrible terrible terrible lag), I've learned to buffer moves properly.

Basically, I'm a stick player, but decided to stick with a pad (no pun intended) for MK9. Keeps the blood circulating in my legs. I don't really have any tricks for the pad.

The way I try to avoid execution mistakes is:
a) For EX moves, since Block is a trigger button (which I hate with all my might), I press the Block button slightly before the other button when attempting an EX move. Honestly? Haven't been able to get Kano's EX ball. And not going to bother either. Fuck Kano.

b) Buffer everything (if you wait for on-screen confirmation, you'll miss half the stuff with Reptile, Nightwolf, Subzero, etc etc).

c) Something else which I forgot because I'm listening to that podcast with Tom Brady speaking, and I can't focus right now.

like everyone else, struggling with the shitty version of mk edge... i found a workaround tho...

as jax, say i'm trying to do something simple like 1,2, qcf1... sometimes qcf2 will come out, which boggles my mind... i found the best way to do it is 121qcf... as in, push 121 (hold the last 1) then do the motion qcf... hope that helps others

DrDogg

Kombatant
like everyone else, struggling with the shitty version of mk edge... i found a workaround tho...

as jax, say i'm trying to do something simple like 1,2, qcf1... sometimes qcf2 will come out, which boggles my mind... i found the best way to do it is 121qcf... as in, push 121 (hold the last 1) then do the motion qcf... hope that helps others
I have had difficulty with that, because Gotcha Grab is a more damaging combo ender than Dash Punch, but the buffer system almost always gives me Dash Punch. I may try this and see how well it works for me.

I actually use the buffer system to my advantage as Jax and Sonya. It makes it easier to cancel into overhead smash with Jax and Militray Stance with Sonya. Other than that, it's been a HUGE pain.

I don't piano at all, but I also play on pad with my had over the buttons. So I use my index and middle finger on the buttons and ignore the R1 and R2 buttons. This is also how I play Tekken, which is the only other fighter I play on pad.

If by piano you mean sliding, then i piano kung lao's 2,1,2,1,2 especially when i do it on a juggled opponent. i can enter the full combo before the first hit this way i dont rely on negative edge when i plan on cancelling into a spin ( i just enter the fresh spin motion)