What's new

Petition to rename "Safe Jumps"

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
We've all seen the free jump in you get after putting your opponent into a stagger animation, however I don't believe that "Safe Jump" is a good name for this. This instance is very different from Safe Jumps in other fighting games, so to prevent confusion and better convey the actual mechanic, I believe we should rename it.

My suggestion is:

Move X put the opponent into a "Stagger State" on hit.

or

Move x gives you a "Stagger Jump" on hit.

I would prefer the first one, since I could definitely see the advantages of NOT jumping on some occasions, and just dashing up into a mixup instead.

Anyway, I do truly think this is really important since it's such a powerful mechanic.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Safe Jump is already a fighting game term with a different meaning.

On top of that, jumping isn't always the best option, jumping is just one of the many options off of a stagger.

Please tell me how I'm wrong?

jump in punch is the best option.

1. if hit you get a combo

2. if blocked you have extreme adv and a free throw attapmt

3. besides free throw attempt you can also to a hit level 50/50 or a frame trap

EGP Wonder_Chef

I assume you could mash something like an X Ray out in between a blocked jump in and a slower high/low mixup, so sometimes you may opt to skip the jump in.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
jump in punch is the best option.

1. if hit you get a combo

2. if blocked you have extreme adv and a free throw attapmt

3. besides free throw attempt you can also to a hit level 50/50 or a frame trap
^This

Those who refuse to learn jump punch starters in MK will fail hard.

not in between BOTH the mid or the low chef. an example is scorp, you can :x interrupt :l+:bp after a jump in punch but not :r+:bk. no no, you cant get around all the options w/armor or :x.

its safe jump, that stays.

EGP Wonder_Chef

not in between BOTH the mid or the low chef. an example is scorp, you can :x interrupt :l+:bp after a jump in punch but not :r+:bk. no no, you cant get around all the options w/armor or :x.

its safe jump, that stays.
But that does mean that both options aren't safe, so there IS a reason not to jump.

Also PLEASE address my other issue.

EGP Wonder_Chef

There could also be situations where you set them up for an unbreakable combo into Xray for the win.

ALSO the biggest thing I forgot to mention is that if you DON'T block during a stagger, you can break whatever you get hit with next, so it might be more worth it to wait and time the hit to come out right as they exit.

So can we agree to call it Stagger State?

DrDogg

Noob
There could also be situations where you set them up for an unbreakable combo into Xray for the win.

ALSO the biggest thing I forgot to mention is that if you DON'T block during a stagger, you can break whatever you get hit with next, so it might be more worth it to wait and time the hit to come out right as they exit.

So can we agree to call it Stagger State?
You can call the stun a stagger state, but that situation still warrants a safe jump.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It's a safe jump-in attack. Why not just call it what it is...?

We understand there is already a term. K?

EGP Wonder_Chef

Then you shouldn't have questions you already have the answers to.

You CAN get a free jump in off of this, however there needs to be a name for the mechanic that happens no matter what.

In SSFIV they don't call sweeps "Safe Jumps" just because that's the situation that they can create.