What's new

Persona 4: Arena.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
So I finally settled on a 2'nd game to compete in.

It's been an absolute blast so far, although I must the amount of cutscenes in Story Mode is absurd, but otherwise, I'm definitely happy with the decision.
The combat, the characters, having a pseudo-combo-breaker, Labrys <3, etc.
Yet it seems next to no one I know is playing it.

Am I the only one? Where are you, fellow P4A players?

Espio

Kokomo
I kind of play it, but just got TTT2 and am prepping for FF, so the earliest I will be playing that again is mid January.

The game is fun and I love story mode, main Naoto with dem gun cancels <3.

Tiers are like this (no order)

Mitsuru/Aigis/Teddie S

Yu/Chie/Naoto/Yosuke A

Lab/Slab/Yukiko/Akihiko/Kanji/Liz B

I used to play a lot. Yukiko. I play her like a midrange frame trap character.

The "problem" with persona 4 arena is that high level play for some characters is VERY derpy. Chie/Yu/Mitsuru/Aigis all have very basic gameplans.

Yu/Chie -Knockdown into oki setup with persona then you have to guess/react accordingly. Watch this and you'll understand why chie is SOO deadly once she knocks you down

Mitsuru - 5A/Coup/EX-coup all day.

Aigis - orgia then mix you up with sweep into dash air 5A or sweep into empty dash 2a. Zone if not in orgia mode.

The "kabal" of this game is probably mitsuru or aigis. They have really derpy thing they can abuse and get away with. Mitsuru excels at midrange and will punish you hard if you whiff some normals (half health combos easily). Aigis is just push unrelenting rushdown. Her zoning isn't too bad (2b) but you will run out of bullets. Yu can be really REALLY derpy as well if played right. His 2b (air unblockable) is godlike, his dp (first hit is air unblockable) is godlike and can cancel into super if blocked, and his oki setup is almost as good as Chie but the upside is that his OMB will kill you if you have less than 50% hp and no burst.

O I fogot naoto. Naoto has everything. She can zone, she can pseudo rush-down and has the SMP loops that do 70%+ dmg with no OMB.

Also burst is not a pseudo combo-breaker. Its a true combo-breaker that has risk and reward. You actually have to think of when and where you want to burst because if you get baited you will die.

I love this game with a passion, just wished there were some design changes but overall the game is great. There are flaws like character matchup due to how small and diverse the cast is, and "slight" balance issue (top tiers are really top but bottom tiers can still compete just a lot harder).

There are also the bad matchups IIRC (not really up to date but close)

Mitsuru vs Yukiko
Mitusu vs Liz (7-3 at least)
Teddie vs Chie
Teddie vs Yu
Aigis vs Slab
Liz vs Kanji (7-3)
Slab vs Yukiko (7-3)

Since I play yukiko a lot this is what I think her matchups are like

vs Mitsuru 7-3 or 6-4
vs Slab 7-3 easily
vs Teddie 5-5 or 4.5-5.5
vs Yu 4.5-5.5 or 4-6 at worst
vs Akihiko 5.5-4.5 or 6-4 at best
vs Lab not sure probably close to 5-5
vs Liz 6-4 (just don't fight liz full screen without setup)
vs Chie 5-5 or 4.5-5.5 at worst. It gets hard when Chie goes into awakening
vs Kanji 6-4 or 6.5-3.5
vs Naoto 4-6 or 3.5-6.5 atleast (better zoning, more damage)
vs Yosuke not enough info