What's new

Path of Exile .. Anyone play?

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Great game. Its a Diablo-esque ARPG. Totally free and the pay system is for cosmetic stuff *only*. 100% not pay to win. You cant even buy like loot % or XP % increases. INSANE character customization and loot system. Really interesting game.

Anyway,

I played when it first went to open beta and just recently restarted. Im playing the non-HC Talisman league. I used to play HC exclusively and had a couple characters in the games top 25's , but I'm just playing for fun and to relax now.

Just seeing if anyone else is playing as well.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I don't but you have me curios I may have to look it up, is it a PC only?
Can you get it on consoles? jw

EntropicByDesign

@GiM | ZigZag

Pretty sure its PC only.

It's a fantastic game.and crazy complex, but not so much that it's difficult to pick up. You can just jump in with 10m of tinkering to.figure out how gems work. I can answer any questions you have as well.

Google Path of Exile Skill Tree and look at that monster.

The way it works is all classes have a universal skill tree, a monster of a thing. So choosing a class starts you out in different areas of that skill tree, so certain nodes are more conveniently reached by certain classes, but all classes can use all nodes. Class is just to help specialize a little. Want to make a caster type character but don't want a glass cannon? Make a Marauder since he starts in the skill tree closer to a lot of +life and %life nodes, then just branch out towards your elemental damage stuff further along the tree. A million ways to do it. Want a caster based on crit chance? Starting as a Shadow will give you access to crit nodes and elementals as well. Want to make a character that duel weilds daggers and relys on elemental damchoose Witch will.have tons of elemental + nodes close, but again, you can make a witch tanky, or a shadow a pure caster, its totally.open. classes are an aesthetic choice and used to start you on the skill tree closer to nodes you want.

Additionally, skills themselves are equally open ended. Any class can use any skill. Skills are granted by equipping gems that you get in-game as quest rewards, loot from monsters, bought from vendors or traded for from other players. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of different skills and any class can use them all. Some skills have level restrictions but that's all.

The gems are slotted in to gear. You.may get, as an example, a bow with 4 gem slota, each slot will have a color, and you can only slot that color of gem in that slot. Some gem slots will be connected to one another, or linked, which lets you use.other gems to.change the effects of the primary skill.

Take my Ranger for example. I have a bow that has 5 gem slots, all of them linked. Four slots are Green and one is Red. So I have the following setup:

Tornado Shot (main skill) - Faster Attacks - Additional physical projectile damage - greater multiple projectiles - life on hit .

Most of the gems are self explanatory, but Greater Multiple Projectiles makes Tornado Shot fire 5 times at once in a spread with reduced damage per shot (bit the net increase in number is worth it).

Another example is how I have another skill set up:

Split Arrow - Chain - Curse on Hit - Assassins Mark.

That setup allows me to use the.skill Split Arrow. Which fires two arrows in a small spread. Chain, Makes it so every arrow that hits casts the spell again, chaining it, so firing two more arrows. Curse on hit makes it so the linked curse Assassins Mark, is applied to everything bit by my arrows. This lets me run up to a huge pack of mobs and chain arrow once to do damage and apply the curse of the whole pack in one shot.

There are endless combinations possible.

The items can be modified as well, to.change the number of gem sockets, the color, the.number of links, etc, but I'll.get to that when I explain.the games economy.

The game has a crazy loot system, so many options, so much swag. However, the game DOESN'T have gold or any kind of money. What it does have are 'orbs'. Orbs are the foundation of the games economy. There are tons of different kinds and they all have different effects, but basically, they all modify gear or gems or in one instance, refund points spent in your skill tree. These orbs are used to trade for gear with other players, or vendors and there are websites that track the various exchange rates. Its a VERY interesting system.

Also, the game is free. There is a pay shop,. but the shop ONLY carries cosmetic stuff. You cant even buy boosts to XP and such as far as I know. Absolutely NOTHING is purchasable that affects game-play beyond making your character look cool(er).

End-game, once you have played all 4 acts through all difficulties (you have to play through to unlock the next tier, etc) you can run Maps, which are basically a type of loot that drops and opens up custom dungeons with special modifiers and such that are a lot harder, but more rewarding. You can group up in groups of four with other players and it increases difficulty and loot, etc. The game also has 'Leagues' that open up from time to time and can range from 'races' that go for a few hours to a few days, and give rewards based on how far you progress with a new character, to long-term leagues like Talisman (What I am playing and what you would make a new character on) that add some additional mechanics to the standard (permanent) league formula. When the leagues end all your characters and belongings are transferred to standard league, so there is no reason *not* to play the leagues.

If you or anyone wants to play, hit me up, I'll gladly make a new character to start running with you.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I did look up some stuff and it looks pretty fun, the kind of thing i've been looking for I put it on my steam library but I wont be playing till later on due to slow DL speed + being considerate of other people, don't want to chew up the bandwidth for a few hours, i'll probably put it on tonight when people are sleeping.

I don't mind if you want to run with me I don't mind, I also enjoy playing Solo too so don't worry yourself if ever you don't want to, I believe my Steam name is "ZigZagGamer" so you can add me there.

Thanks for all the information makes for some good advice, glad to hear the transactions aren't intrusive!
The uhmmm "Duelist"? was it? looks like my kind of ascetic style, how does it play?
I'm also a fan of rangers but find they tend to get boring.

Diego de Souza Costa

***The Soul Consuming Darkness***
i do... i'm playing as a "Paladin Summoner" (i'm still a scrub lord lvl 9.... lel) but i used a lot of stuffs from my other builds.....

P.S. i'm trying to comeback for this game, after the updates and everything.... but Counter Strike:GO won't let me.... D:

EntropicByDesign

I did look up some stuff and it looks pretty fun, the kind of thing i've been looking for I put it on my steam library but I wont be playing till later on due to slow DL speed + being considerate of other people, don't want to chew up the bandwidth for a few hours, i'll probably put it on tonight when people are sleeping.

I don't mind if you want to run with me I don't mind, I also enjoy playing Solo too so don't worry yourself if ever you don't want to, I believe my Steam name is "ZigZagGamer" so you can add me there.

Thanks for all the information makes for some good advice, glad to hear the transactions aren't intrusive!
The uhmmm "Duelist"? was it? looks like my kind of ascetic style, how does it play?
I'm also a fan of rangers but find they tend to get boring.

Duelist has, if Im not mistaken, good crit and physical damage nodes with some life stuff mixed in here and there. Essentially though you can make any class play how you want them to. You could take a Marauder and make him play like a pure mage if you wanted.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Duelist has, if Im not mistaken, good crit and physical damage nodes with some life stuff mixed in here and there. Essentially though you can make any class play how you want them to. You could take a Marauder and make him play like a pure mage if you wanted.
shadow/ranger has the crit, duelist is inferior to any other class