What's new

Panic Attacks

xGunShow

Toronto, Canada @GunShowXO
So I was sitting in the lecture hall today listening to the prof ramble on when suddenly I felt this odd feeling. My whole body was numb and I started to feel dizzy. It's almost like I lost all bodily control and I had tunnel vision. I didn't know what was going on because I've never had a panic attack before and didn't know what to expect. I was trembling a lot and tried to fight it off. Worst of all, I was at the front of the class (2nd Row) in front of roughly 400 people and I was trembling and fidgeting like a motherfucker. I felt a lot of faintness. I tried to play it off but after a while, it was really getting to me and I had to get out of the class. It seemed to go away temporarily once I walked around for a bit and had a glass of water. Once I went back to class, it started to happen again. I couldn't take it and had to leave the class for good (Luckily class was almost over so I didn't end up missing much).

I'm not exactly sure why this happened. I'm not one to panic or have anxiety often, really. I'm a pretty calm person and it takes a lot for me to get anxious. There was nothing in particular I was worried about today or even this week. Could anyone tell me why this happened? Was it a panic attack or something else?

If it helps, I had 4 hours of sleep and nothing but a medium coffee.

Also, if anyone has any similar stories, feel free to share.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Well lack of sleep and caffeine are usually contributors to anxiety, so that might have had something to do with it.

That's strange how it happened out of nowhere like that tho

Mr. Mileena

Warrior
I suffer from anxiety. I get nervous a lot, makes my stomach hurt. Sucks but I can handle it.

Very, very rarely will I have an anxiety attack.
It comes with major stomach aches, and the feeling of your body feeling cold and hot at the same time. A burning sensation, literally the worst feeling ever.

Try doing Yoga, meditate. Sleep well. Breathe slowly and deeply. Leave the classroom/work area and take a 1-2 min walk outside and breathe. Collect yourself.

Could be a panic attack, I know I have issues, probably not officially diagnosed but, I panic on a daily bases and my mood swings are crazy. I can go from feeling heavy headed and not feeling clear to clear, to being emotionally broken down, I don't know why, and I haven't found a solution either.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I belive I had an anxiety attack a few days ago. I just went to sleep and I couldn't, and after a while I realized I was scared. Not of anything in particular, I knew I was not in danger in any way, but I was still scared. It lasted for more than 12 hours, for moments I would try to sing or read outloud to calm myself, but it only worked partially, and my voice would break from time to time, as if I was about to cry, and I wanted to, but couldn't. Eventually it just transformed into stress, and went all into my back (which is still hard) I could only sleep the following night and it took me a long time to be able to do it. It was an awful experience I hope I never have to go through again

TKB

Warrior
Don't be seriously alarmed because that will make it worse for you.

I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, I have had them for years. It is NOT uncommon or unusual for it to pop up out of nowhere when you least expect it. It happens to millions of people, every single day. You aren't alone there.

I am actually going through a rough patch right now the past couple of weeks; anxiety, stress, sleep loss, etc.

My advice would be to see a doctor if it persists or gets worse for you.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I suffer from anxiety. I get nervous a lot, makes my stomach hurt. Sucks but I can handle it.

Very, very rarely will I have an anxiety attack.
It comes with major stomach aches, and the feeling of your body feeling cold and hot at the same time. A burning sensation, literally the worst feeling ever.

Try doing Yoga, meditate. Sleep well. Breathe slowly and deeply. Leave the classroom/work area and take a 1-2 min walk outside and breathe. Collect yourself.
Huh...so anxiety causes my stomach pains around very large crowds? I should look this up but I'm lazy so I'm going to trust you, Mr Mil

skahwt

Kombatant
My wife is diagnosed with acute anxiety disorder. Some natural supplements which are very helpful are: magnesium, valerian root, passionflower, lemon balm and l-theanine. If you continue to have problems I suggest trying some of those.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
4 hours of sleep is not nearly enough sleep. The coffee doesnt help either. If I had to guess I would say the lack of sleep+caffeine is what did it. Try and shoot for 6 hours of sleep, minimum.

Bovine McKow

Dojo Trainee
Could be anything from physical or mental stress, to something brain chemistry related that should be medicated. I used to have them on a semi regular basis in my teens. I certainly don't miss it. Take care of yourself buddy.

Mr. Mileena

Warrior
Huh...so anxiety causes my stomach pains around very large crowds? I should look this up but I'm lazy so I'm going to trust you, Mr Mil
Yeah, it can mess up with the Fight or Flight response, causes accelerated hormone secretions that accelerate and disrupt normal digestive levels. It basically makes you go poop a lot as if you have a loose stomach. Most of the times it's not severe, but it's uncomfortable as fuck.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Lead Moderator
Last night I had a mild anxiety attack, I think it was just because I was half awake and it was 3am... but I basically felt like I had trouble breathing and freaked out a for a good bit.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Yeah, what happened sounds like a panic attack. It doesn't matter who you are, how level-headed you are, or how anxious you actually feel in a situation. It just happens. It might be part of a larger disorder or it might be just a random occurrence, so don't worry too much.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
It is interesting that that happened out of the blue. I don't usually have panic attacks per say but sometimes I get so stressed out that I kind of freak for a couple hours. It usually builds up over time though. For me it's whenever other people mess up things that directly affect me. So like last week my partner for a project didn't do their half, my mom scheduled an appointment conflicting with a very important rehearsal, and my guidance counselor sent a school I'm looking at an email calling me the wrong name throughout. That basically made me freeze up from the stress for a couple hours on Thursday. I wouldn't worry about a one time thing but if it happens again try and figure out if there's a trigger I guess.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
From a medical professionals standpoint, if you have insurance go see a psychiatrist.

If symptoms get worse, go see a neurologist. There are serious conditions not psychologically related that can cause panic attacks or be felt as panic attacks that are going on in the brain.

TIA's sometimes cause this feeling along with CVA's.

Could be nothing more than panic attacks but even so, get a good medical and psychological workup to rule out any and all possibilities.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I get these a lot when im stoned. Especially if someone brings up something gory i get really uneasy and find it hard to breathe...scares me. Im sorry you had this happen to you man :(

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
Good ol panic attacks. Dat manic state though. That one second you know you're completely insane, you're positive of it. It just rushes over you, and you wonder why nobody noticed. Or did they, and everyone is in on some sick joke.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I had a panic attack, or the closest thing to one I've experienced, from a lucid dream that kept replaying in my head over and over again. My body locked up, I couldn't move, and I started overheating under my blanket. Lasted about 5 minutes.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
i had one in my school's bookstore last semester... It was like suddenly everybody was moving really fast and I couldn't keep up, immediately got outside and tried to breathe really deeply for a while. It was super uncomfortable

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I had one in this class I was taking years back. All of the sudden I felt really warm and kinda had tunnel vision like the op said. Just felt really anxious like I had to get up and walk around or something. I felt really worried like something bad was gonna happen, but there was no reason to think this at all. It was completely irrational. So I left the room and walked around for a minute taking some deep breathes and went back inside and everything was all good. It was an uncomfortable experience, but I haven't had a recurrence since then.

Like Revolver said, I think it's just something that happens.