What's new

Question - Liu Kang [Old] liu kan vs jumping "spamming" Cassie

Tofato

Noob
I Play with a friend that uses Cassie and lately he has been using crossover and jumping all the time to destroy mi Kang I have tried everything.

D2 : doesn't work at all for crossovers , whe he jumps from a distance with that long cassie kick I'm lucky if we both get damage.

D1: is just not reliable I'm able to punish 3 out of 10 attempts with I think is pretty low.

1: the same as with D1

Backdash: it worked at first but then he realizes it and he jumps in until i don't have more meter.

So sometimes with this thechnique beats me so bad than I'm thinking of picking a new character but before that I want to be sure isn't me that I'm missing an anti air fundamental or is just that Kang sucks at jumping and crossover pressure. Sometimes it feels like I'm Ina corner in the middle of the screen helpless.

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
As I said before few days at another post,cross ups and jump in are pain in the ass for this game,try to armor them(I know it is a waste of meter)or back dash them as much as your stamina allows it,kotal's air grab is perfect for these situations but switching your character for this reason is something I disagree!

Tofato

Noob
I play with this friend every Friday last time he won 70-45 and it was annoying I sweat all of my wins thanks to this technique , of course he knows I struggle with this and all the round I try to zone him but eventually he gets in and kinda freeze me in the middle of the screen with the cross ups , sometimes he jumps in witha punch or continue his strings sometimes he drop the combo and jump for a cross over and the fact that I can't punish those jumps and cross ups it's annoying making me try to guess all his combos or escape with an armor ex to get back to neutral game. All games I have played jumping is so unsafe that you have to think when to do iand no to abuse it but here in MKX is annoying people can abuse it with not a real punish

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
NJP into b344, f44~db2 every time and he will never attempt to cross you up again.

Or just standing 1 into the above. There you go.

I mean, the key really is to make him respect the fact you have those options, and do them when you read when he is going to jump in on you. You say he likes to jump after you even after you backdash... well then, backdash, then njp and suddenly the momentum of the match up changes. You'll find him jumping in on you a lot less when he realizes it is not free.

You can practice this in training for 30 minutes and you'll be on point with the punish next time you play casuals with him.

Last edited:

Parasurama

Dragon
njp njk- most reliable but not as damaging as njp s1 d2 work in different situations, sometime just time a run out of this and trip guard any jump ins.

For any character njp is a great option for crossovers. You have to make a read but if someone is spamming those jumps then you can use it for a free combo.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I Play with a friend that uses Cassie and lately he has been using crossover and jumping all the time to destroy mi Kang I have tried everything.

D2 : doesn't work at all for crossovers , whe he jumps from a distance with that long cassie kick I'm lucky if we both get damage.

D1: is just not reliable I'm able to punish 3 out of 10 attempts with I think is pretty low.

1: the same as with D1

Backdash: it worked at first but then he realizes it and he jumps in until i don't have more meter.

So sometimes with this thechnique beats me so bad than I'm thinking of picking a new character but before that I want to be sure isn't me that I'm missing an anti air fundamental or is just that Kang sucks at jumping and crossover pressure. Sometimes it feels like I'm Ina corner in the middle of the screen helpless.
It's not the jump that's beating you, it's his spacing. Which means you need to learn your distances better. Go into training mode, (or ask him to help you train if he's up for that) and program the AI to execute whatever he's using. Then learn to backstep/backdash. Sometimes stepping forwards is better than backdash. If he's crossing you up you could have just dashed forwards and punished 'cuz fuck tripguard. You can even AA combo that way with some characters, don't play Kang so I don't know if he KAN do dat.

Spacing is important. A lot of times I can just throw people if they jump too much and I teach them to block after landing.

Learn how far everything you do reaches on the screen and then punish people's whiffed pokes eventually.