What's new

NW bad MU

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Im trying to determine all of NW bad MU and why. Then through discussion of nw players and other I want to develope strategies that can be used to make them better.

1)Freddy
2)kabal
3)mileena
4)kang
5)kitana

Freddy is possibly 7-3 IMO but the rest are 6-4 their favor. Any thoughts or ideas on other bad MU and GOOD reasoning why?

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Why does Lui Kang have the advantage against Nightwolf?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Im trying to determine all of NW bad MU and why. Then through discussion of nw players and other I want to develope strategies that can be used to make them better.

1)Freddy
2)kabal
3)mileena
4)kang
5)kitana

Freddy is possibly 7-3 IMO but the rest are 6-4 their favor. Any thoughts or ideas on other bad MU and GOOD reasoning why?
I don't know about 7:3, but the match up is certainly in Freddy's favor.

Other possible bad match ups have to be Cyrax and Cage.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Why does Lui Kang have the advantage against Nightwolf?
Kabals iaf make MW reflect almost useless and it's hard to get in. I also can't reflect saw I have to absorb.

Freddy NMS goes under shoulder, arrow, eh shoulder and make it very tough for nw to get in.

Mileena d4 makes it hard to move forward. I have to jump kick to hit her which is dangerous. If I get life lead I can win. Might be 5-5 but discuss

Kang can footsie and punish shoulder with b312 and push NW to corner in one combo. He also can iafb over lightning, and under arrow and avoid all reflected fireballs the same way. Fighting ATL redd gives me this feeling

Kitana is oneI have been working alot on lately. It's 6-4 in my mind until I fight osu at final round...that will be my deciding factor.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I don't know about 7:3, but the match up is certainly in Freddy's favor.

Other possible bad match ups have to be Cyrax and Cage.
Cyrax I don't feel is bad at all because I can keep life lead with absorb and build meter with reflect on net. And cage is one I'm not sure about. I play cage myself and fought plenty of other cages and never lost series. But that doesn't mean anything. I don't see how he has any advantage but discuss!

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Cyrax I don't feel is bad at all because I can keep life lead with absorb and build meter with reflect on net. And cage is one I'm not sure about. I play cage myself and fought plenty of other cages and never lost series. But that doesn't mean anything. I don't see how he has any advantage but discuss!
From my experience, once Cyrax starts throwing bombs and nets, Nightwolf has to approach him. Nets are easy to reflect on their own, but when the Cyrax player starts tossing bombs all over the place, then Nightwolf must close the gap. Cyrax also builds meter doing all of this, which is the last thing you want.

Cage is another difficult match up because Nightwolf cannot zone him reliably. You can play footsies, but if you make one mistake, Cage hit-confirms his string into the nut punch and then the guessing game begins. Cage's f+3 is also better than anything Nightwolf has.

A lot of these match ups are bad because Nightwolf's fireball is horrendous. If he could zone others a little bit better from full screen away, some of these losing match ups might be even.

If air + low fireballs are bad for Nightwolf, then why isn't Sindel on your list? Isn't she basically like Liu Kang but better (since she has more tools and deals more damage?)

M2Dave

Zoning Master
If air + low fireballs are bad for Nightwolf, then why isn't Sindel on your list? Isn't she basically like Liu Kang but better (since she has more tools and deals more damage?)
But Sindel lacks the easy offense Liu Kang has. b+3 is one of the best normal attacks. As is f+2,1. The overhead is solid too because of its +frames on hit.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
From my experience, once Cyrax starts throwing bombs and nets, Nightwolf has to approach him. Nets are easy to reflect on their own, but when the Cyrax player starts tossing bombs all over the place, then Nightwolf must close the gap. Cyrax also builds meter doing all of this, which is the last thing you want.

Cage is another difficult match up because Nightwolf cannot zone him reliably. You can play footsies, but if you make one mistake, Cage hit-confirms his string into the nut punch and then the guessing game begins. Cage's f+3 is also better than anything Nightwolf has.

A lot of these match ups are bad because Nightwolf's fireball is horrendous. If he could zone others a little bit better from full screen away, some of these losing match ups might be even.
I don't need to approach cyrax. I can avoid nets and bombs all day. Reflect has instant start up and zero recovery frames. I can dash around all day with out worry and check with shoulders as needed and restart my zoning. I'll wait all day till time runs out as long I have the life lead and meter.

As for cage...I agree that it comes to footsies. However, the amount of damage NW can take off with a combo into lightning makes up for his lack of pressure game. All of cages specials are unsafe except ex force ball. I still think nw can keep cage out by using lightning, shoulder, and the occasional arrow. Shoulder is safe enough to where they have to duck no block to punish but that opens them up for lightning or strings. And if they block it they can't do anything.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
She doesn't carry to the corner the way kang does and her offense is harder to start. The range on b312 is disgusting and his close game is much harder to escape.

Worst match for him might be Kitana since he probably got the worst wakeups in the game and down square hits very fast removing hes enhanced -> -> O armor before second hit gets to do anything most of the times, I think it depends on the distance or so and probably any really good rush down char will trouble him alot. So probably all you listed are right still Cage and Jax can do very good too.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Kit and is bad but not for that reason. Nw can't maintain pressure due to her pole having more range and speed and all nw strings are 0 on block.

It might not be as bad though due to her wakeup situation. Setting up lightning traps is pretty easy against her. It comes to NW being comfortable staying back and not applying pressure.

And I don't think jax is that bad. I've played tyrant(although online) only offline once at evo(too long ago) and as long as I stay out of the corner I'm good.