What's new

[November 12, 2011] The Fort Worth Classic #2 - La Quinta Inns and Suites - Lake Worth, TX

[August 27th, 2011] The Fort Worth Classic #2 (Presented by Evolution Games)

Hello Game Fans, Sanji Himura here with the first edition of the Fort Worth Classic with Mortal Kombat.

Date: August 27th, 2011 (Date subject to change)

Venue:

Evolution Games
6212 McCart Ave
Fort Worth, TX 76133

Staff: So there is no bullshit on who is an official and who is not:
Sanji Himura - Head Tournament Orgainizer/Planner

Lukas “Dark Geese” Allen – Head Tournament Assistant/ Chief Judge

Harold “NeoBatou” Houston – Tournament Assistant/ Judge

*Each man on this list will wear a white FWC embroidered shirt done at my expense letting you know who to go to if you have drama issues that I know that they can handle!

The Games and Fees:

THE FORT WORTH CLASSIC IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING CHANGE! PLEASE BRING EXACT CHANGE FOR ALL GAMES PLEASE!

Venue Fee- $5

Bringing a setup will NOT affect your venue fee costs. You could earn a little extra money by trading in your old game to the store (PS1, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, 32X, SNES, NES, etc).

Main Event Games – These games will be done. You may pre-register in this thread, or at the door for these games.

Mortal Kombat IX - $10
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles - $10

Side Event Games – These games will be done with enough time and interest .

Gran Turismo 5 - $5

Payouts

Gran Turismo 5 is winner take all EXCEPT when entrants form a full double elimination bracket. If it reaches that point, the payout will be as follows: 60/25/15.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles is a modified 60/30/10.

Mortal Kombat IX is a standard 70/20/10.

The Rules

Definitions

Bracket- A flow chart indicating who should play who at any point in the tournament. The completely deterministic nature of a bracket ensures fair play. Most tournaments at this convention will use double elimination brackets.

Match- A pairing between two people in the bracket. The two people play each other until a winner is determined. For example, the final Match in in the tournament determines who gets 1st and who gets 2nd. A Match is usually 2 out of 3 games. The term "set" is interchangeable with match.

Game- A Game is just what you think it is… a single game between 2 players. For example, a game in Super Turbo is over when someone wins 2 out of 3 rounds. A game of Capcom vs SNK 2 is over when one player loses his last character. Make sure you understand the difference between a Match and a Game!

The Tournament Director- The person responsible for running the whole event. In this event, Me.

Judge- The Director has a lot of people helping him. These people usually watch over Matches and help to resolve conflicts. Thus, those people are called Judges. They are tournament officials. While they can help to resolve conflicts, the Director is the ultimate authority in making sure the rules are enforced.

Tournament Format

All brackets that are under 32 people are a straight double elimination bracket. If there is over 32 people, even if it is just a single player, the format shifts to EVO-style pools. If a full bracket is not possible(less than 8 people), the tournament format will shift to Round Robin.

For 33-64 players: there will be 4 pools where the top 4 players in said pool will advance to a final 16-man double elimination bracket. Any losses that are obtained in pools will carry over into the final bracket.

For over 64 players: there will be 8 pools where the top 2 players in said pool will advance to a final 16-man double elimination bracket. Any losses that are obtained in pools will carry over into the final bracket.

General Rules

Bracket Seeding- All players in the tournament will be “seeded by city/region”. To the best of our ability, we will place players in the bracket in a manner that minimizes the chances of them playing against someone who lives in close physical proximity to them. This increases the likelihood that you will play against players whom you have not played against before. At no time will there be any seeding by skill. Skill, a lot of times, is mostly based on reputation and at no time will there be any undue advantage given because of reputation.

Example of an improper seeding- Justin Wong, a top Street Fighter player in the US that lives in California, registered for the Street Fighter 4 tournament with John Choi, also a top Street Fighter player from California. Later Mew2King(sorry for this -Sanji), a Brawl Player signed up with other Brawl people from around the country for an eight man bracket, including two people from California. When the bracket is seeded, Choi and Wong play the two people from California in the first round and not play each other until the winners finals.

Example of a proper seeding- Justin Wong, a top Street Fighter player in the US that lives in California, registered for the Street Fighter 4 tournament with John Choi, also a top Street Fighter player from California. Later Mew2King(sorry for this -Sanji), a Brawl Player signed up with other Brawl people from around the country for an eight man bracket, including two people from California. When the brackets are seeded, all of the California people play their first round matches with Wong and Choi winning. The bracket then proceeds until all of the California people play each other in the winner's and loser's finals, respectively.

1. Prizes for each game will be distributed immediately following the tournament at hand.

2. A match for all tournaments are best 2 out of 3 games/songs, ect.(unless specified). All Finals matches are best of five games.

3. I am all for casuals, but you must register BEFORE you play.

4. Any grievous misconduct will result in you being removed from the premises without a refund and any prize money that is won surrendered. This includes, but not limited to, drinking, smoking(in building), gambling on matches, and disrespecting and arguing with staff(for both The Classic and the venue).

5. Hardware macros are strictly prohibited. You may only use the macros that are available in the in-screen configuration menu.

6. An accidental pause of the game may result in forfeiture of the game at the judge’s digression.

7. You must bring your own controller for any console that the game is played on. Converters may or may not be offered for any console that requires them(ie: PS2 to DC and PS2 to PS3. If you wish to play pad, you MUST use the console default, or an officially licensed controller(usb cables must be used on PS3 and 360 controllers). Even though Wii will be used for Smash, You MUST use Gamecube controllers.

8. Wireless controllers are strictly forbidden. If you bring one, it will be seized by the tournament director and a corded controller will be provided in its place. Return of the controller will happen if you return the controller that was provided. Wavebirds are not exempt from this rule.

9. There is zero tolerance for theft. If caught stealing, a police report will be filed with the proper authorities, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent of the law.

10. Double Blind selection may be called by the judge for any reason and any game may be replayed at the tournament director’s digression, even if it was the last game in a match.

11. Equipment failures are subject to a three person panel that will consist of the Tournament Director, the head judge, and one person deemed an expert in the game at hand, using EVO standards as a guideline. If the equipment failure was reported by a player, and the panel ruled against him, the match is forfeited. Judges can report equipment failures on behalf of the player. If the panel rules for the player, the equipment is ordered to be replaced with a padded controller and the match is ordered to be replayed with the same characters and settings. Regardless of what the panel rules, if the judge convenes the panel for the player, the match is ordered to be replayed with the same characters and settings.

12. Rules violations must be reported the instant the violation is made(within reasonable standards). The Classic will use the yellow card system when issuing rule violation penalties(Yellow card will forfeit the match and a red card will disqualify you). If a player falsely(or ignorantly) reports a rule violation, then they will be issued a yellow card. You will have a clean slate for each tournament.

13. Unless otherwise specified, any team tournaments are a "Winner Stays" tournament.

Game Specific Rules

Mortal Kombat IX
Version: PS3
Settings: 2/3 rounds, 99 seconds
- All DLC characters is allowed in tournament play
- Kratos is not allowed in tournament play.
- All Klassic Skins are BANNED until further notice!
- Winner must keep same character, but loser may change theirs.
- The Fort Worth Classic Respects the ESRB rating system. No players under 18 may play in this tournament.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Version: Nintendo Wii
- This tournament will use the current Unity Ruleset, as found on Smashboards.com

Gran Turismo 5
Version: PS3
Settings: Arcade Only, 2 Player Battle, Laps to Complete – 5
Games to Win: 1 of 1
- Only cars that are available in the “Arcade Only” section are allowed in tournament play.
- Dirt and snow tracks are not allowed in tournament play except if both players agree.
- All variations of Nurburgring, the Top Gear Test Track, Circuit de la Sarthe(La Mans) is banned in tournament play.
- Grand Finals must be two laps around Nurburgring 24h.
- Players will have 45 seconds to select a track and 30 seconds to select a car. If a player fails to do this, a car will be selected that will closely match the Performance Points(PP) of the opposing car.

Contact Infomation

You may call me or text me if you have any questions at 214-881-7617. You may also feel free to email me at [email protected]

Pre-registration List
Order listed is in order of completed pre-registrations received!

Mortal Kombat IX
1. Kovu, Fort Worth, TX
2. Beef_Supreme, North Richland Hills, TX
3. TheW1tchDoctor
4. Malitor

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles
1. Denti, Fort Worth, TX
2.The W1tchDoctor

Gran Turismo 5
1. Ken Davis, Azle, TX
5.​

Wowoweewow! A tournament where I can play both MK9 and SSBB! PLUS! IT'S ON MY BIRTHDAY! I just might have to do this. And it gives me a good amount of time to get my diddy back into fighting shape as well.

EDIT: On a side note, I don't care to drive 3 hours only to get eliminated and have nothing to do. Would anyone be willing to let me crash at their place? We could have an mk9 after party. Drinks, games, and awesome.

Also, I can't use my dual shock 3 then? I don't even know where to GET a wired ps3 controller hahaha.

Kovu

The Crownless King
Wowoweewow! A tournament where I can play both MK9 and SSBB! PLUS! IT'S ON MY BIRTHDAY! I just might have to do this. And it gives me a good amount of time to get my diddy back into fighting shape as well.

EDIT: On a side note, I don't care to drive 3 hours only to get eliminated and have nothing to do. Would anyone be willing to let me crash at their place? We could have an mk9 after party. Drinks, games, and awesome.

Also, I can't use my dual shock 3 then? I don't even know where to GET a wired ps3 controller hahaha.
Depending on my living situation at the time, I can probably be open to housing.

The rules doesn't ban Dual Shocks, stock wireless 360 controllers[if we were running any tournaments on 360] or wiimotes like EVO does. You MUST, however use the USB cables on PS3 controllers.

Everybody who pre-reg. I got you on the list except Malitor and W1tch Doctor. I need a location out of you two.

Malitor

Noob
Hmm... was thinking this was originally in November, I'm glad I checked it. I will not be able to make it tomorrow. :(

Hopefully next time. I wish there was a better way to list tournaments by region. I had to dig into several pages to find this one again.