What's new

Noticed some things JOP was doing that I'm having trouble with.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I was watching EVO this weekend and saw JOP's cage doing all that raging, and I noticed one or two things he was doing that I am trying to implement into my game. One being after a f3, 2 hit he would nut punch immediately after. I can't seem to do this because every time I try there is negative edge and I end up doing a high forceball. Does anyone know what to do for that?

edit: Got it down, now I need to work on d1 anti air combos and sweep kick combos.

JrK

Probably Drunk
Delaying it just a hair seemed to be my ticket. Are you using a stick or pad? I seem to be able to do it flawlessly on my pad, but when I pull out the hori I too suffer from the neg edge. :<

Creepy00

Mortal
1st Jop's Cage is sick. He punished pretty much everything and leaving standin with Nut putch for open mix ups and prevent wake up calls. He knows he johnny cage
Now a thread about Jop's cage at evo is an interesting topic, Hopefully it will drag more people talking in Jonny cage's threads, which it barely gets attention :(

Criss

Mediocre Player
Was it just me seeing things or was JOP doing D1's and getting the opponent to pop up so he could continue to juggle standing?

Cause if thats possible that would be awesome.

Was it just me seeing things or was JOP doing D1's and getting the opponent to pop up so he could continue to juggle standing?

Cause if thats possible that would be awesome.
Yea he was anti-airing with d1 straight into popup juggle. And you are correct! that is AWESOME!

Criss

Mediocre Player
So it's possible to D1 a jumping opponent, then stand and go into a 1,1, etc. combo? Sweet.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
You need to be able to hit confirm f3, 2 into nut punch. It feels difficult at first but if you just keep focusing on it and buffer the back down motion after every f3, 2 eventually you will train your brain to hit that 1 button at the correct time.

A lot of people also don't realize that after f3, 2 on block you are at advantage to get a free d+1 and then repeat the same f3, 2 pattern. If you execute this frame perfect its a trap that cant be stopped without a 6 frame move or less and at that point the game decides who the winner is in the trade.

So much more stuff I could tell you but I need to keep my technology under wraps!

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
So it's possible to D1 a jumping opponent, then stand and go into a 1,1, etc. combo? Sweet.
Yep, d+1 dash 1,1 dash 1,1 dash 4,4 nut punch. You can also anti air an opponent using a cross up attack with d+1 and get the same results.

When you guys are working on Cage you just need to understand that everything neeeeeeds to end in nut punch. You are at so much advantage and your opponent is forced in a standing position which means at bare minimum you get a 2 into free throw attempt or you get to run frame trap knee/jab pressure with ex force balls. Cage is one of the only characters that wants his opponents to be guarding all of the time because he can kill you so fast with chip and he generates an insane amount of meter.

Criss

Mediocre Player
Ah nice. I do use f3,2 alot, either into nutpunch or forceball, but I wasn't aware you can d+1 safely.

Been playing Cage since day 1 and still learn new shit everyday lol.

Dat Al

Stay Frosty
Is there any advantage/disadvantages between either the 2,1 string and f3,2 string other than you can hit confirm into the overhead for the 2,1 leading to a combo? I myself find the f3,2 string easier to use for constant pressure, but I occasionally throw out the 2,1,f2 after I connect with a nut punch. Anything different I should be trying?

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
After 2,1 without cancelling into the F+2 overhead launcher, - Your at a 2 frame disadvantge.

What that means is, If you pause after 2, 1 and then try to pressure with something else. Your opponent could start up a combo and beat you to it.

A gutsy play on your opponent's behalf, but potentially 40%+ damage if he or she guesses right. Has happened to me a few times. ;-)

Dat Al

Stay Frosty
One other thing I noticed JOP doing that I was curious about was his poking choice after landing a f3, 2 nutpunch. It seems that sometimes he would go for a standing 2 while his opponent was nutpunched, but sometimes would do a d1 into 11. I'm guessing he does the second to cover any crossover wakeup attempts, but what would be the advantage of using standing 2 over simply going back into the f3, 2 string?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
It's just a matter of keeping frame advantage if I'm not mistaken, he does the d1 to make sure they can't escape the reset, then he does a 1 1 to set up an inescapable f3 2.

Dat Al

Stay Frosty
Alright, thanks. I'm still pretty fresh to Cage, still trying to find the proper rhythm for F3, 2. Find my self accidentally going into f2 even though the input shows me doing the f3. Must be doing it too early during the block string.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Yep, d+1 dash 1,1 dash 1,1 dash 4,4 nut punch. You can also anti air an opponent using a cross up attack with d+1 and get the same results.

When you guys are working on Cage you just need to understand that everything neeeeeeds to end in nut punch. You are at so much advantage and your opponent is forced in a standing position which means at bare minimum you get a 2 into free throw attempt or you get to run frame trap knee/jab pressure with ex force balls. Cage is one of the only characters that wants his opponents to be guarding all of the time because he can kill you so fast with chip and he generates an insane amount of meter.
How just almost not fair is a good Cage? Once you learn to hit confirm his stuff.... i mean... he's crazy pressure!!! I wish I could Hit Confirm well enough to keep the frame advantage... I just seem to lose it.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
You should throw in either a 1 1 or a d1 before you go back into it again if you're having timing trouble, the d1 can only be beat out by a six frame or less attack, and the 1 1 gives an uninterruptable f3 2 so you can continue the pressure. It makes Johnny that much harder to defend against.

sLeeK

Noob
Just picked up cage roughly a few days ago and reading this thread makes me think, "CAGE IS FREAKING AWESOME!" I can't do the pressure strings consistently due to how new I am to him, BUT I did do it consistently for a few matches and my god did that opponent get destroyed! People online do not know how to deal with that at all and it makes me :)

One more thing JOP get your ass on these threads!!

Dat Al

Stay Frosty
Another quick question. Does continuing the f3, 2 string after a nutpunch without using d1 grant the same advantage? Online my opponents seem to be unable to do anything once I get the string going, but I'm wondering if this is due to online lag. I recall watching a stream of REO playing Cage awhile ago and have been unable to find it, but I think I remember him using the f3,2 string almost exclusively on both block and after a successful nutpunch. Just curious if that d1 confers any other frame advantage other than being an anti air/crossover stuffer.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Another quick question. Does continuing the f3, 2 string after a nutpunch without using d1 grant the same advantage? Online my opponents seem to be unable to do anything once I get the string going, but I'm wondering if this is due to online lag. I recall watching a stream of REO playing Cage awhile ago and have been unable to find it, but I think I remember him using the f3,2 string almost exclusively on both block and after a successful nutpunch. Just curious if that d1 confers any other frame advantage other than being an anti air/crossover stuffer.

You're right you can definitely still use just f3 2, the d1 is just to try to frame trap and cause you're opponent to crouch block it so you can come in with a f4 and get a full combo. You will have advantage either way, the down one is just to keep them on their toes and guessing what you'll do next.

Edit: d1 also helps because the opponent has to have a 6 frame attack or better to knock you out of it.

leek

Noob
Was at a tourney yesterday, F+3,2 D+1 works extremely well as you need a 6 frame or less attack to get out without eating a nut punch and chip damage all day long. they will try to jump out or dash back, but you just catch them anyways because the string advances you quite a bit.