What's new

Question Non-spin AA?

I'm about to hit the lab with lao hardcore because i believe that there are parts of his game that are overlooked. This is one of them, if lao can AA with something other than spin, and save the spin to extend the end half of a combo, then that may force breaker or at the very least.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
His standing 1 is fine, his d1 is fine, and standing 2 works although it is kinda awkward to follow up. G for these things if it is a really obvious aa, but the reason why everybody uses spin is that it is fast (obv), and has a ridiculous hitbox, plus he still gets good damage from it. IDK if he gets more off of any of his other options.

gdf

Noob
I think you can get more from other AA's only if you use meter. (neutral jump should be thrown in the mix)

But, I have seen Big D and PL AA with divekick, and link into spin. It's pretty cool.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Standing 2 works well for opponents trying to deep jk or do deep jump ins given it's incredible range and speed. You could follow up with things like:

• dash, spin
• 1,1,1,1,1, 24~R1~2
• maybe even F3~spin

1 works well of course too.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I personally use:

2 xx EN Hat > JK xx Dive Kick > F3 xx Spin > 2 4 1+3, 2

It does like 43% damage for one bar, very worth it IMO, especially since standing 2 is a great anti air.

I don't have a video but it's very similar to this:

I think you can get more from other AA's only if you use meter. (neutral jump should be thrown in the mix)

But, I have seen Big D and PL AA with divekick, and link into spin. It's pretty cool.
divekick, dash, 2,4,spin,Bnb might be good, I'll try that and post my findings
24spin might not work, i'll also try 2,1 and b3,3

His standing 1 is fine, his d1 is fine, and standing 2 works although it is kinda awkward to follow up. G for these things if it is a really obvious aa, but the reason why everybody uses spin is that it is fast (obv), and has a ridiculous hitbox, plus he still gets good damage from it. IDK if he gets more off of any of his other options.
ok, i'll try options off of both of these.

has anyone checked if his 3 (possibly a good crossup aa?) has good options off of it?

thanks Wonder_Chef, i'm mostly looking for meterless right now, but i'll add that to the list anyway

xSMoKEx i'll try these out, thanks

standing 2 is best, I use spin and standing 2, a lot of people dont expect to get anti aired if they jump in front of you, because standing 2 has a better range than spin.

Death

Noob
Standing 2 is my go to AA. It has ridiculous reach. Its just easy to do F2 on reaction which sucks, rather than just the standing 2.

coolwhip

Noob
I'm about to hit the lab with lao hardcore because i believe that there are parts of his game that are overlooked. This is one of them, if lao can AA with something other than spin, and save the spin to extend the end half of a combo, then that may force breaker or at the very least.
This is not a very good idea for a few reasons (not hating, just explaining):

His spin is his fastest move (at 6 frames), and it is less strict timing wise than his standing 2 (which would be your second best option for AA). Moreover, you are guaranteed to get more damage off of an AA by starting with spin, rather than saving it for later (meterless). For example if you AA with standing 2, then dash and do 1, 1, spin, the opponent will not be launched the same way he would have been if you had just AA'ed with spin. Meaning that you have no room for a jump kick/dive kick or anything else that would really improve the damage. If you save the spin to extend the second half of the combo, all you're probably going to be able to do after the spin is something like 1, 1 2,4 grab.

ShanxterX

@shanxterx follow me hoes
Standing 2 and 1 are very good AA. You should use them sometimes instead of the spin ESPECIALLY against those characters with instant air projectiles and teleport who jump to bait the spin

coolwhip

Noob
If you want to use other forms of AA (again standing 2 is the best) it should be for another reason than simply extending the second half of the combo (standing 2 has a great reach and whiffing it isn't a big deal, whereas if your opponent baits the spin and it whiffs you're in trouble).

coolwhip

Noob

Yeah that combo (meterless) does 30% (33% if you get the just frame at the end). You AA with jk/dk then f+3, spin, and finish it with either 1, 1, 2,4 grab, or dive kick 2,4 grab (slightly more difficult.

Reactions: gdf

coolwhip

Noob
Also, while I do feel there is still more to Kung Lao (not necessarily new tech, though I'm sure there is, but more the way he can be played), AA isn't the area you have to worry about, since he's the last character in the game you want to jump at and he's got that part covered.

coolwhip

Noob
As far as I can tell the only followup is EN Hat =/

It is a pretty good AA though.
It is a good AA but its timing is very strict. Even though it looks like it should have good range, it really doesn't (at least not as good as it looks), so you have to be on point if you want to use it.