What's new

Nightmare Stance: Cancelling into Specials

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Viable or rubbish?

Lately, I've been messing around with Freddy against players online. I'm not very good with him; in fact I've even gotten blown up by n00b-y Smoke/Scorpion/Johnny Cage's -- however, I can't help but keep coming back to him. I love this Nightmare Stance; simply put, it's a mind-game in itself.

Do I go for one of his four options? The launcher is not my favorite because I can't seem to dash quick enough to get in for a combo and the overhead ends in just that...an overhead. So, my game is obviously limited to what I've been able to pull off. But I've been using the Nightmare Stance as sort of a duck maneuver to get under projectiles and then once past, I'll either Teleport towards them to pressure or back to start zoning again. Sometimes, if I'm feeling risky I like to duck under projectiles or back-up in a footsie type of way and throw out an Ex Hell Spike or regular Hell Spike to carry them to the corner or start a combo.

I was just wondering how viable this seems or if the only thing I'm really doing is building a slight bit more of meter for entering the NMS itself? Obviously, it has been working for me a bit or I wouldn't have posted it and I got the idea from being a Rain mainer my whole MK9 life (his Roundhouse Kick can be canceled into specials if you hold B, with Freddy you don't even have to hold any button just input the move you want)

I know this isn't new or groundbreaking in any way but I feel it creates a mind-game for the opponent and it's always good to have an extra trick up your sleeve. Basically, just wanted to hear from m2dave or Faded Dreams V to see if they use this with theirs or if I should just duck projectiles with the Hellspike ducking animation, itself?

Thanks in advance, guys! I really admire the way you guys have turned this character into a powerhouse.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Nightmare Stance is Freddy's best asset, honestly. You can cancel it into anything. That said, I've been going Smoke-only for a long while, so all my other characters are underdeveloped and I can't give any strategies like m2dave probably can.

If you want to see the Nightmare Stance's full potential, challenge XxBuryMeInBlack. The only rushdown Freddy you'll find (mind you, he zones if he has to).

I remember fighting your Freddy as Cage. NMS is definitely a problem for Cage, and I think you may have only used it a couple of times. I got beat by a Freddy who used NMS really well, and didn't know how to approach him. However, it seems to be hard for Freddy to get Cage off of him once he's in.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
I remember fighting your Freddy as Cage. NMS is definitely a problem for Cage, and I think you may have only used it a couple of times. I got beat by a Freddy who used NMS really well, and didn't know how to approach him. However, it seems to be hard for Freddy to get Cage off of him once he's in.
Yep.
N3B or something was your GT, if I remember correctly. That was a tough fight but sometimes I just want to learn match-up experience. I mean, I enjoy winning but I can only win so many fights with Rain before I look to another character before I fall into auto-pilot mode. That and well, my Rain gets destroyed by JC 9/10 times.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
BodamEscapePlan, I write about NMS in my guide.

Nightmare Stance - The Nightmare Stance, or NMS, is one of Freddy's best tools because Freddy steps back and crouches. NMS builds meter, but you cannot block while in NMS. You can only block after canceling NMS with a front- or backdash. However, NMS gives Freddy access to three new attacks: 1, a safe launcher, 2, a safe overhead, and 3, a safe low attack. Each attack has its uses, especially in some match ups. In addition, NMS allows you to perform any special move, making NMS xx GT very powerful. NMS xx GT is basically a backdash fireball that builds double the meter and makes jumping attacks whiff. NMS xx GT also tends to AA a lot because of its slower start up, particularly when you train your opponent to jump a lot of GTs. Knowing how to use NMS correctly is key if you want to win with Freddy.

---

NMS is excellent against any character without an advancing move that hits mid (i.e., Jax, Cage, Nightwolf, Sonya, etc.). Using NMS against these character has no risk unless you are cornered. I could praise NMS in two more paragraphs, but experiment and you will find out yourself about the stance's usefulness. By the way, I do know that NMS, 1 does not lead into the most damaging or most consistent juggles, but EX spike always connects if you need the damage.

Of course, use spikes vs fireballs. Just know that you cannot spike under all fireballs. Some exceptions include Ermac's, Mileena's, and Sindel's standing fireballs.

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
BodamEscapePlan, I write about NMS in my guide.

By the way, I do know that NMS, 1 does not lead into the most damaging or most consistent juggles, but EX spike always connects if you need the damage.
Do you mean directly cancel NMS into EX hell spike instead of the launcher or use EX hell spike after the NMS launcher hits?

The launcher is not my favorite because I can't seem to dash quick enough to get in for a combo and the overhead ends in just that...an overhead.
This may be because you are playing online. You have to double dash but there is time to combo. If you hit them on the ground you can do a pretty easy one NMS launcher double dash b2, 2,2~ex hellspike jip~f4,2,1~close spike 2,2~glove toss (I'm sure there is a more damaging version but this is what I've been doing.) You can extend this if you start with b1,2,u1~NMS launcher.

Going to steal the conversation and ask does NMS go under Sheeva's fireball? I assume no but I'm not at home to test right now.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Do you mean directly cancel NMS into EX hell spike instead of the launcher or use EX hell spike after the NMS launcher hits?
Yes.
I'm saying that you as soon as you enter NMS, you let go of 4 and then input a special move and it will do it immediately out of NMS without dash canceling or reverting to just standing.

This may be because you are playing online. You have to double dash but there is time to combo. If you hit them on the ground you can do a pretty easy one NMS launcher double dash b2, 2,2~ex hellspike jip~f4,2,1~close spike 2,2~glove toss (I'm sure there is a more damaging version but this is what I've been doing.) You can extend this if you start with b1,2,u1~NMS launcher.

It seems you are right, I was using NMS~ 1 (Launcher) ~ F4-2-1 or 2-2-1+2.
Clearly this is because B+2 is your only option out of it, so it seems.

Going to steal the conversation and ask does NMS go under Sheeva's fireball? I assume no but I'm not at home to test right now.
Not sure how this pertains or is relevant to the discussion but as far as I can tell -- it does not.

DarKNaTaS

Retired!
Viable or rubbish?

Lately, I've been messing around with Freddy against players online. I'm not very good with him; in fact I've even gotten blown up by n00b-y Smoke/Scorpion/Johnny Cage's -- however, I can't help but keep coming back to him. I love this Nightmare Stance; simply put, it's a mind-game in itself.

Do I go for one of his four options? The launcher is not my favorite because I can't seem to dash quick enough to get in for a combo and the overhead ends in just that...an overhead. So, my game is obviously limited to what I've been able to pull off. But I've been using the Nightmare Stance as sort of a duck maneuver to get under projectiles and then once past, I'll either Teleport towards them to pressure or back to start zoning again. Sometimes, if I'm feeling risky I like to duck under projectiles or back-up in a footsie type of way and throw out an Ex Hell Spike or regular Hell Spike to carry them to the corner or start a combo.

I was just wondering how viable this seems or if the only thing I'm really doing is building a slight bit more of meter for entering the NMS itself? Obviously, it has been working for me a bit or I wouldn't have posted it and I got the idea from being a Rain mainer my whole MK9 life (his Roundhouse Kick can be canceled into specials if you hold B, with Freddy you don't even have to hold any button just input the move you want)

I know this isn't new or groundbreaking in any way but I feel it creates a mind-game for the opponent and it's always good to have an extra trick up your sleeve. Basically, just wanted to hear from m2dave or Faded Dreams V to see if they use this with theirs or if I should just duck projectiles with the Hellspike ducking animation, itself?

Thanks in advance, guys! I really admire the way you guys have turned this character into a powerhouse.
I consider it to be a great move. if u seen my matches i do like over 50 nms in a match. i say vs 70% of the fighter it works great but then u got the other 30% where i would avoid using it. ex: any1 who can do a low projectile is a nono. for nms.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
NMS 1 cannot be canceled. Use EX spike after NMS 1 hits. The best albeit the hardest combo after NMS 1 is double dash u+3, EX spike, JP,b+1,2,u+1, f+4,2,1 xx far spike, far spike. 40% of damage.

And you can crouch under Sheeva's fireballs with NMS. Do not let the hit range fool you. NMS will crouch all standing fireballs. Spikes crouch under fireballs that have poor hitboxes (i.e., Kano's knife toss).

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
The launcher is not my favorite because I can't seem to dash quick enough to get in for a combo and the overhead ends in just that...an overhead.
Comboing after the launcher isn't hard at all, just practice it a few times and you should be able to do it consistently.

As for the overhead, as shown in xxteefxx 's video, it leads to a free DF4 setup, which is really damn nice.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Comboing after the launcher isn't hard at all, just practice it a few times and you should be able to do it consistently.

As for the overhead, as shown in xxteefxx 's video, it leads to a free DF4 setup, which is really damn nice.
...And this is why Test Your Might.com is the best website and most frequented -- helpful information like this.

Thank you and you're right, it is fairly easy.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
I consider it to be a great move. if u seen my matches i do like over 50 nms in a match. i say vs 70% of the fighter it works great but then u got the other 30% where i would avoid using it. ex: any1 who can do a low projectile is a nono. for nms.
I forgot you post on here, DarKNaTaS . Hopefully you know by now that I think your Freddy is right up there with the best of them.

We're going to have to get some more KoTH matches going again when I see you online next. Haven't played you in forever.

Gooch Peencher

XBL GT: Unikob

I was thinking this exact thing, combo-ing after the launcher was the first thing I practiced, and Bodam if ya want we can have some Freddy Mirrors, I haven't used him in awhile and I wanna get back to using him.

sent from my phone using a free version of tapatalk. hehe

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
...And this is why Test Your Might.com is the best website and most frequented -- helpful information like this.

Thank you and you're right, it is fairly easy.
If you haven't watched his freddy tutorials do so, they're seriously amazing.

And just to be clear, the best way for me to combo after a NS Launcher is to dash forward and do B2, then something like F421 xx whatever.