What's new

Nifty Kombo 3.1 Successfully Mame'd!!!!!!

McCarron

Noob
MK3fan said:
Glad to be of assistance, I just played the part of the middle man but glad it worked so quickly. Really opens up all fans to the best versions of MK1. If it wasn't for you sending your broken board in we would have never figured this one out as easily, and the owner didn't want to ruin one of the few remaining working boards.

I now have more excuses to get a Y-Unit board. I only have a T-Unit right now, and the WAYDIM board.

This has got me curious mk3fan did you ever try your kombo board in a y-unit pcb? Because every version with the exception of yours ive seen on the net has said turbo ninja 3.1 and has been in a y-unit board. Where as yours says turbo ninja t-unit. So im thinking this is the same hack just gives different effects according to the pcb version its in. Now come to think of it i think i read somewhere that it was based off of rev 3.0 so with it having the 3.1 as the rev it kinda makes since. 3.0 = original 3.1 = hack. If this makes any since.

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
bulldawg said:
This has got me curious mk3fan did you ever try your kombo board in a y-unit pcb? Because every version with the exception of yours ive seen on the net has said turbo ninja 3.1 and has been in a y-unit board. Where as yours says turbo ninja t-unit. So im thinking this is the same hack just gives different effects according to the pcb version its in. Now come to think of it i think i read somewhere that it was based off of rev 3.0 so with it having the 3.1 as the rev it kinda makes since. 3.0 = original 3.1 = hack. If this makes any since.
I DID try in in a 3.0 Y-unit board I had, but that as after it had crapped out. I never tried it to see if it would work in a Y-unit. Besides, the rom info is different between the 2 units.

So this is not really the nifty kombo version? Or are you not sure? I think vm68 says the nifty version was an earlier version of the turbo ninja, with sub-zero's freeze levitation only lifting the opponent about an inch or so off the ground as oppossed to turbo ninja where the freeze lifts them all the way to the ceiling. But who knows maybe nifty kombo was just a rumour that got started from turbo ninja, but then again ive heard of a black ninja version aswell. So there may be a few different versions to this hack. The site you posted that was in french showed a different looking kombo board to.

McCarron

Noob
bulldawg said:
So this is not really the nifty kombo version? Or are you not sure? I think vm68 says the nifty version was an earlier version of the turbo ninja, with sub-zero's freeze levitation only lifting the opponent about an inch or so off the ground as oppossed to turbo ninja where the freeze lifts them all the way to the ceiling. But who knows maybe nifty kombo was just a rumour that got started from turbo ninja, but then again ive heard of a black ninja version aswell. So there may be a few different versions to this hack. The site you posted that was in french showed a different looking kombo board to.
Well what's funny is the French site is actually getting stuff from MKFIX100 the owner of the board, and the one who sent me the ROMs that I got over to the MAME guys today. I am a bit confused between the Nifty/Nibble/3.1 Turbo right now. That older board may be what MKFIX was telling me was an attempt to duplicate the board that he paid to have done a while back. It's official name is "3.1 Turbo" and I expect it to be very similar to the "Turbo Ninja" that MK3FAN has for the T-Unit, just this would be for the Y-Unit.

If we can find the older hack someday, I'm sure everything will be answered.

McCarron

Noob
MK3fan said:
I DID try in in a 3.0 Y-unit board I had, but that as after it had crapped out. I never tried it to see if it would work in a Y-unit. Besides, the rom info is different between the 2 units.
MKFIX did try his in a T-Unit with no luck, so it is different between the two versions but it'll be hard to tell how much until we get our hands on both for a bit longer.

YourMKArcadeSource

The Nifty and Ninja versions are different in the the Nifty came first and only works with Y-unit boards. There are probably some other, like on the Nifty, you can make Reptile fight himself. Watch this...(SKIP to 4:00)

Yeah i saw that video you posted from mkfix and actully tried what he did with your version in mame and could not get reptile to fight reptile. I tried it like 5 times with no success. So there is definatly a difference between mk3fans kombo board and mkfix's nibble board.

YourMKArcadeSource

bulldawg said:
Yeah i saw that video you posted from mkfix and actully tried what he did with your version in mame and could not get reptile to fight reptile. I tried it like 5 times with no success. So there is definatly a difference between mk3fans kombo board and mkfix's nibble board.
Did the AI do the Fatality? They have to do the fatality and not block.

No. I tried it liked 5 times with me winning the first round and letting the AI win the second 2, and each time it would just kick me or uppercut to the pit bottom.

Awesome work. Now I just have to finish (waiting for parts, ugh) my very first Mame cab which use to be a MK1 machine that some joker converted into a "Capcom vs. Marvel" (yuck, I know) which I am now converting into a mame cab. I played Turbo Ninja on it last night, can't wait for 3.1, I'm gonna have every version of MK on it :)

BTW is 3.1 actually done? As in, can I download the rom anywhere? I didn't see a download link anywhere here.

Thanks again to everyone putting out these roms, friggen awesome stuff!

McCarron

Noob
FrankTheSpank said:
BTW is 3.1 actually done? As in, can I download the rom anywhere? I didn't see a download link anywhere here.
It's not available no. I have the original ROMs that are emulatable in the next version of MAME. The originals are of no use to anyone right now unless you compile MAME for yourself, I know how do to this just haven't done it myself due to lack of time. Same goes with Turbo Ninja.

The way you are playing Turbo Ninja today is that someone de-protected the ROMs. This is mostly used for putting the ROMs back onto the game boards directly. It can also be used to stick the roms in with the regular MK1 version ROMs to get the new code. This is not how it'll work in the future, as the ROMs will be protected as stored and the newer MAME version will remove the protection.

Is UMK3 Zeus hack compatible for the new MAME versions?

I was wondering because it hasn't been added to the MAME database.

McCarron

Noob
ScheissNussen said:
I am pretty sure that it is in the same boat as these mk1 hacks, they weren't added yet, but they will still work if you rename/overwrite your umk3.zip / mk1.zip

That is a good point though, I think if people did not have to swap roms around they would actually play it more often.
Zeus should have been added. I'll get those over to the MAME guys, maybe they know why it wasn't added.

McCarron

Noob
It hasn't been added as an official MAME clone because of one reason, it isn't known if it was really a hardware EEPROM kit that was distributed or not. Does anyone know more of it's history?

McCarron

Noob
I got my own build of MAME going with proper clones of each game added based on the clone for Turbo Ninja. So far so good.

The final rom names will likely be as pictured:
- mkturbo
- mkturbon

So far the differences I've noticed in Turbo 3.1 from TN:
- Reptile clues flash whole screen
- Game seems slower than Turbo Ninja (T-Unit vs Y-Unit accounts for this)
- Intro text is red, comes out a line at a time

Weird thing happened to me in Turbo Ninja, I was fighting Reptile and the game said Finish Him too early. I still had life, and the game kept going. After a did finally die, the game over screen had a flurry of repeating R characters animating from the left side of it. It was quite weird.