What's new

Strategy - Quan Chi Newbie to MKX, how do you counter quick characters and close range skirmishes?

BROJOB

Noob
Haven't played MK since probably the Sega genesis, but recently got addicted to it with MKX. I know Quan is a difficult character to start out with, but I really like him. However, I have trouble with characters like Maleena, Kitana, Kung Lao, etc. Characters who are quick who, once they get in close range, I have trouble of getting out of their non stop barrage of attacks. What are the best counters when you're stuck in this situation? I play the summoner variant.

skater11

The saltiest
I don't play quan chi but you can start of by going to the training room and looking at his frame data and note his fastest moves along with safe on block, & neutral on block strings. Know your wake up options in case you ever get knocked down. Maybe play throught the advanced tutorial to get a more visual hands on training of what I'm trying to explain here. Poke with your fastest normal to gain advantage and mix up your opponent with throws, high & lows.

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
For characters like those try to bait their most punishable moves, like Mileena's ball roll or kung lao's spin. Once you block it or cause the opponent to whiff go in with Quan's fastest attacks. I usually for for his B2 overhead into trance.

Also, if someone is applying pressure to you one of Quan's fastest and safest moves is his down 3.

Learn their frame datas, poke wisely, block what you can, punish when you can. I'd advise starting with an easier character tho.

In my (limited) experience, it's best if you try to zone them since his defense is horrible. The skull thing and EX Rune are your best friends. If they get too close or you see opportunities to punish, follow the above advice and use a faster move to punish or set up a combo.

Last edited:

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
i struggle with this as well, quan getting corrnered makes me cry. Seems like everything I have is slower than my opponent, just gotta be patient and block well and look for your spots to poke or ex rune I think

i struggle with this as well, quan getting corrnered makes me cry. Seems like everything I have is slower than my opponent, just gotta be patient and block well and look for your spots to poke or ex rune I think
I wouldn't necessarily recommend this, but I've been able to get out using a random EX teleport if the opponent throws out a slower string or drops a combo. It doesn't always work of course, but it is an option.

Haven't played MK since probably the Sega genesis, but recently got addicted to it with MKX. I know Quan is a difficult character to start out with, but I really like him. However, I have trouble with characters like Maleena, Kitana, Kung Lao, etc. Characters who are quick who, once they get in close range, I have trouble of getting out of their non stop barrage of attacks. What are the best counters when you're stuck in this situation? I play the summoner variant.
I am not necessarily a noob. He is my main and I have been playing a lot, I am a 51 in experience. Anyway, my point is that even having played him a TON, I just got schooled last night by Raiden, Mileena and Liu Kang. And in general, all of the fast, close-up characters give me major problems. I literally changed my controller batteries last night because it felt like he wasn't even responding. I'm not sure if they nerfed his god-like d3, because that is my go to for speed, and it was not working that great. Once a character starts in on the combos and I block, its game over for me lately, I can't get a hit in edgewise, and I'm forced to zone hardcore and constantly retreat. I would also appreciate any wisdom on countering these fast, close-up combo characters/players.

I am not necessarily a noob. He is my main and I have been playing a lot, I am a 51 in experience. Anyway, my point is that even having played him a TON, I just got schooled last night by Raiden, Mileena and Liu Kang. And in general, all of the fast, close-up characters give me major problems. I literally changed my controller batteries last night because it felt like he wasn't even responding. I'm not sure if they nerfed his god-like d3, because that is my go to for speed, and it was not working that great. Once a character starts in on the combos and I block, its game over for me lately, I can't get a hit in edgewise, and I'm forced to zone hardcore and constantly retreat. I would also appreciate any wisdom on countering these fast, close-up combo characters/players.
You have to be really close for his d3 to work like its supposed to. I throw this out constantly to train them for my overhead. You can do d3 into an immediate njp to punish a counter. Also his fast string I seem to neglect that you might be able to throw out is his 212

You have to be really close for his d3 to work like its supposed to. I throw this out constantly to train them for my overhead. You can do d3 into an immediate njp to punish a counter. Also his fast string I seem to neglect that you might be able to throw out is his 212
I'm guessing you mean his f212? It's 16f startup, not a good punish. He's just pretty terrible at punishing in general.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
I can't recall the frame data off the top of my head but I usually punish with 14xxEX Rune. You can always D3 as a punish and go into a mixup.