What's new

New, trying to improve.

Hi all, new to attempting to play MK at a competitive level and really, really enjoying the content here on TYM. A few questions for those of you who may have answers:

1) As there really isn't a local scene here in Western NC, what are the best methods for practice as online is less than ideal at the moment.

2) I'm looking for a character who is more decision/mind games driven than incredibly technical. I play on 360 pad and am trying to pick up stick. I seem to be less apt to take advantage of juggle opportunities than good spacing/zoning mechanics, that being the case incredibly timing dependent dash combos are proving to be a problem. If that character doesn't exist I'll suck it up and work with what I have. I'm leaning towards Sektor. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for answers guys, look forward to continuing to learn more about the game with all of you.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Unfortunately Chorded for question 1, sometimes online is all you have, but don't bash it too much. I know, along with everyone else here that it can be incredibly laggy at times. Your best bet is to find some people here to practice with online, sometimes there is virtually no lag if you find someone with a good connection and you can play with that person in private matches. Build for friends list this way and you can actually get in some good practice online.

As far as character selection goes, Cyrax is definitely not who you want to be leaning towards if you're not good at juggling. By the way you want to play, I'd probably suggest Noob Saibot more than any other character. His zoning is the best in the game hands down and his combos are really simple; plus he has amazing corner pressure.

Anyways hope this helped and have fun on the site man.

Samsung Crunchy

Studying all of her moves
For #2, the funny thing about MK9 is that most characters can play mindgames due to their versatile specials. Imo, a mindgame character with great space control would be Sub-Zero. His combos are fairly straight forward and he excels at controlling space.

#1: The online has gotten better dramatically over the past week. Not sure how, but I have had 5 straight matches in a row with barely any lag. (all with different people)

#2: I agree, you should probably go with someone like Sub-Zero. But you should seriously try Sektor, he isn't technical at all, but he isn't the top, top tier character if you want to go to competitions either. Just keep trying different characters and see who you like!

Welcome to TYM :)