What's new

New to the FGC!

Hey all!
I'm totally new to the Fighting Game Community and looking to get better at fighting games in general. I fell in love with MK9 when it came out a few years ago but never really took the time needed to get really good at it.

Injustice has really got me interested and excited in the fighting game genre as a whole, and honestly I've never really enjoyed the genre all that much, but am now finding it a lot of fun. I really want to take the time to get better as a player and understand all the lingo and such. I'm uber excited for Injustice can't wait for it to drop.

That all being said, anyone have any advice/tips for a myself? I will be searching through these forums myself and do some studying/looking on my own, but asking never hurt anyone!

Thanks for the community and I look forward to meeting you guys and bettering myself as a player!

I'm on PS3 and my PSN ID is carrottop1787. Add me and let me know your from the community! Thanks guys!

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Man, all these new faces, and a good many from Chicago or its surrounding areas I presume. Welcome! I would start by learning the notations. That way when you have questions about Injustice OR MK9 it will be easier to give you answers in reference to the game controls. Because I can't find the thread, I'll give you the mk notations for the face buttons: 1- square , 2- triangle, 3 - x, 4- o. I'm sure you can get that B,F,D, and U are back, forward, down, up. There's a few more to learn, but I can't find the thread. I'm sure you'll be just fine though.

Also - you need to change your avatar. This will do. :p

I'd like to eventually get good enough to play in tournaments, and even just attend tournaments with you guys to get to know the community.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
Welcome to the site!
I would say regardless of how well you think you will do, if you have the opportunity to make it out to a tournament, just do it!

Ca$hFlagg

Online » Offline
Welcome! I just recently came back myself after playing some early MK9.

My advice is to not set your goals to high. You may get disappointed. There are people that forgo a job, education, social interaction, bathing, etc. and will only just play this game.

There are people that play without honor or spirit. I feel like if there was a generic, plain white character with 90% combos and fireballs made of a single large white pixel that was unblockable 100% damage then he would be the only char used in most tournies. Ppl want the easiest way to the money no matter what. Be prepared to see exploitable bullshit in place of head to head fighting.

That being said, play the game the way you get the most out of it. The money ain't that great and the glory is worth even less. Looking forward to playing some matches with you online!

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
Welcome! I just recently came back myself after playing some early MK9.

My advice is to not set your goals to high. You may get disappointed. There are people that forgo a job, education, social interaction, bathing, etc. and will only just play this game.

There are people that play without honor or spirit. I feel like if there was a generic, plain white character with 90% combos and fireballs made of a single large white pixel that was unblockable 100% damage then he would be the only char used in most tournies. Ppl want the easiest way to the money no matter what. Be prepared to see exploitable bullshit in place of head to head fighting.

That being said, play the game the way you get the most out of it. The money ain't that great and the glory is worth even less. Looking forward to playing some matches with you online!

Blunt and to the point, what a welcome...lol

Man, all these new faces, and a good many from Chicago or its surrounding areas I presume. Welcome! I would start by learning the notations. That way when you have questions about Injustice OR MK9 it will be easier to give you answers in reference to the game controls. Because I can't find the thread, I'll give you the mk notations for the face buttons: 1- square , 2- triangle, 3 - x, 4- o. I'm sure you can get that B,F,D, and U are back, forward, down, up. There's a few more to learn, but I can't find the thread. I'm sure you'll be just fine though.

Also - you need to change your avatar. This will do. :p

thanks. and changed it lol

Zerosoulreaver

Apprentice
Welcome and just take it easy when playing games. This isn't a pokemon Ash Ketchum "I wanna be the veryyy best evaaa!" thing because that may crush your spirit. Many get caught in that hype.

The FGC is more broad, it does involve casuals, streammonsters and is more than just winning tornys and trying to be all pro. Just play and don't go too hard on yourself about everything like frame data, terminology, and all that. Learn at your own pace, don't change your entire lifestyle for games and meet some local players who you can learn from and don't let anything suck the fun out of it.

Hey all!
I'm totally new to the Fighting Game Community and looking to get better at fighting games in general. I fell in love with MK9 when it came out a few years ago but never really took the time needed to get really good at it.

Injustice has really got me interested and excited in the fighting game genre as a whole, and honestly I've never really enjoyed the genre all that much, but am now finding it a lot of fun. I really want to take the time to get better as a player and understand all the lingo and such. I'm uber excited for Injustice can't wait for it to drop.

That all being said, anyone have any advice/tips for a myself? I will be searching through these forums myself and do some studying/looking on my own, but asking never hurt anyone!

Thanks for the community and I look forward to meeting you guys and bettering myself as a player!

I'm on PS3 and my PSN ID is carrottop1787. Add me and let me know your from the community! Thanks guys!
Awesome you're from Chicago, me, too, there's a strong offline scene here, if you're able to have the time/resources to make it out, check out, Galloping Ghost Arcade on Ogden Avenue, it's where many of the worlds top MK players train and soon to be IGAU!

Awesome you're from Chicago, me, too, there's a strong offline scene here, if you're able to have the time/resources to make it out, check out, Galloping Ghost Arcade on Ogden Avenue, it's where many of the worlds top MK players train and soon to be IGAU!
Awesome, yeah I literally just heard about that arcade not too long ago. Sounds like a sweet place. Hope to make it out there sometime soon for sure. Glad there's a good community around here

Welcome and just take it easy when playing games. This isn't a pokemon Ash Ketchum "I wanna be the veryyy best evaaa!" thing because that may crush your spirit. Many get caught in that hype.

The FGC is more broad, it does involve casuals, streammonsters and is more than just winning tornys and trying to be all pro. Just play and don't go too hard on yourself about everything like frame data, terminology, and all that. Learn at your own pace, don't change your entire lifestyle for games and meet some local players who you can learn from and don't let anything suck the fun out of it.
For sure, I'm finishing up my degree in engineering so yeah the whole not much time thing lol. I've been playing games all my life and just love to play. Just with anything it's always more fun to play with people you know, and that's really what I'm looking for. I for sure just want to learn, better myself, and have a ton of fun. i def am not expecting to become a pro, but doesn't mean I won't at least throw my hat in and have some fun lol. Hope we never lose sight of the fact that's it's a game and we all just want to have fun and get to know people

WannabePlayer

Apprentice
Hey! You seem like a pretty cool guy. I was new to the FGC a few months ago and I've leveled up so much in thanks to TYM. First I want to say it's great having a new member like you on these forums! So, here on TYM you'll find a lot of help, especially for MK9 and most likely Injustice. Occasionally we get drama, but I just avoid it even if it might directly involve me.

I'm sure you already know this by now, but learning a fighting game is tough :|. Take it slow, take it easy, and try not to get too angry about not being able to do something. It's really easy to get discouraged from playing these games especially if you play online, but don't let it get to you. I went through this whole phase where I severely downplayed my character and pretty much thought it was impossible to to win a match with him, but that was back when I thought I knew enough but didn't. Hell, I still don't know enough. Now I'm at a point where I'm pretty good and I'm getting better! Always keep trying, always keep practicing, and play with your fellow Kommunity members. 99% of these guys will be really cool, really helpful, and would love to help you level up.

Anyways, I'm probably ranting and giving too much info. Enjoy your stay at TYM!