What's new

New to fighting games, New to MK, New to Sektor.

As the title states I'm probably the newbiest player you can find in MK right now. Decided to pick it up after I got bored of not having a decent challenge in shooters. After learning a few of Sektor's combo's, decided I was going to main him. Played through the ladder with him on hard without any issues (actually got a few flawless's) still need to do the hardest difficulty though.

Took him online and I'm finding that general lag can make it very difficult to make some combos work and I've been beaten quite hard by some very experienced players (which I welcome for the experience myself). I've won a couple of matches as well so it's not all doom and gloom.

My biggest issue at the moment is getting 1,2,b1 to hit, generally because I try to keep a lot of space between me and the enemy (whether this is normal for a Sektor player I don't know, it feels right for me). Often I end up just TUing a lot though which can't be good. As soon as it gets predictable I switch to spamming missiles and then switch back to TU b2,1. The 1,2,b1 also feels quite unnatural and I'm not sure why, I think it's the b1 makes it harder to mash. Any advice on how to get this to connect would be good!

Also, looking for general advice for being new to all three above and any help that anyone would be willing to offer. As I understand, getting good at fighting games seems to be an extremely difficult path so would preferably not face it alone.

On a side note, what characters are good tag characters to match up with Sektor as well and aren't too difficult to learn? Thanks!

Sektor is a pretty technical character (every character becomes a science once you delve deep enough). Sektor, in my opinion, has some of the best options avialable of the MK cast at all ranges. So here are the ropes...

Sektor has great normals- learn them all and when to use them.

Sektor has great mobility, he has a quick dash and he has the freedom to jump more due to the threat of an aerial TU

Sektor can play keepaway and he can rush down, he isn't the best at both but he can be effective enough when he catches the opposition off guard, it is best to alternate keepaway with rush down

Sektor has a low string that enables him to launch via TU cancel [b3,4+TU]

The timing for TU cancels needs to be practiced RELIGIOUSLY, usually you input the TU command as soon as you hit comfirm and finish the combo. The Timing window online is quicker than you'd expect.

[1,2,b1] is a launcher but don't swear by it, vary your offense as most high strings get blocked. And it is weird to input I know what you mean, takes some getting used to It's not spammable but it is safe on block.

Sektor is a midrange character, that picks and chooses when is the time to dash in or poke-away (keepaway with pokes tehe).

Use TU to punish projectiles or jumpers.

Focus on one character before moving to the next. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask! I also have another post on the Sektor Forum titled "Meterless Sektor". It has some advance strategy tips and some combos you may want to educate yourself on! Good luck!

Ahh thanks, Yea I've been unsuccessfully trying to work in the B3,4+TU into my online game when I'm getting blocked high but am usually quite slow at pulling it off and get punished, or miss with the TU. Although I can successfully pull it off in practice quite quickly.

Thanks for the advice though *goes labourly back to practice mode to get those cancels perfected*.

Get these BnBs down...

1, 2, b1, f4, 4, TU, JIK, EXTU, b2, Flamethrower. You can replace the 1, 2, b1 with b3, 4, or u3, 4.

Wake-up EXTU, f4, 4, JIK, TU, b2, Flamethrower. You can also start this combo with a JIK.

These are combos every Sektor should know. Instead of ending with Flamethrower you can end with b2, 1 if you want them on the ground.

1, 2, 2 is a great string, and the 1, 2, Straight Missile/Up Missile/Flamethrower adds to your mix-up options. b1 is your best friend, and does excellent damage for a single hit.

I suggest browsing all the threads. A lot of really good information.

JIK = Jump kick? Quite new to the terminology as well (although I read up the numbers and letters). How do I do wake up attacks? It's not something I've really got down. Same with cancelling into the flamethrower, can't seem to get it to work. I usually end B2, 1 just because it's a little easier right now. 50ish matches and won 19 so far. Also got my first Sektor hate mail!

Starting to get the hang of b3,4 in matches, it's pretty effective if you can force them to block up and is one the easier combos to cancel into TU. Started using flamethrower on jumpers a lot more, understand what is meant by anti air now =P.

What's BnB stand for as well? I know it's a combo but not sure what it stands for.

Really appreciating the feedback/help!

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
To be completely honest, I wouldn't recommend the JIK TUs online. I dropped so many of them that I threw my Sektor on the backburner due to the immense frustration of dropping them constantly online.

ryublaze

Noob
JIK = Jump kick? Quite new to the terminology as well (although I read up the numbers and letters). How do I do wake up attacks? It's not something I've really got down. Same with cancelling into the flamethrower, can't seem to get it to work. I usually end B2, 1 just because it's a little easier right now. 50ish matches and won 19 so far. Also got my first Sektor hate mail!

Starting to get the hang of b3,4 in matches, it's pretty effective if you can force them to block up and is one the easier combos to cancel into TU. Started using flamethrower on jumpers a lot more, understand what is meant by anti air now =P.

What's BnB stand for as well? I know it's a combo but not sure what it stands for.

Really appreciating the feedback/help!
Yup JK = Jump Kick. JIK = Jump In Kick (meaning you jump forward and kick). NJK = Neutral Jump Kick (jumping straight up).
To perform a wake-up attack, input the special while your character is getting up from the ground. Sektor's wake-up attacks are TU and Flame Burner.
To cancel B2 into Flame Burner, input it like this: B2, F, 2. I haven't tried, but B2, F2 might also work.
It's best to end most of your combos with Flame Burner to prevent wake-up attacks, otherwise you can end with B1 to set up for zoning.

B3, 4 is a good low starter but if it's blocked the 4 will miss. I see a lot of Sektor players rushing with B3, 4, TU even if it's blocked. If you see B3, 4 connect, quickly input a TU otherwise don't risk it.

BnB = Bread n' Butter (basic combos, combos you can rely on the most that do decent damage)
---
Now onto message...I see you are the same as me. This is my first fighting game too and the first character I chose was Sektor.

B1 is a good way to start the round. It's quick enough to interrupt an opponent, thus giving you the 1st hit. Your opponent can avoid it by jumping or with a fast special like Reptile's elbow dash though. You can also start with F2 (which can also be a good way to rush in).

Don't always go for 1, 2, B1 because it is punishable if blocked. Mix up 1, 2 with 2, 1 with 1, 1 with a couple of low pokes (d1, d3, d4). You can also use 2, 1, 4 because there is a pause between the 1 and 4 which can be tricky for your opponent. Once you see 1, 2 connect, quickly input B1. Add in a few throws as well.

If you see your opponent blocking high, go with B3, 4. If he's blocking low, use 1, 2, 2 (really great because 1, 2 leads to B1 and 2).

An interesting thing I see some Sektor players do is cancel some of their combos into Up Missile. It is punishable, but if your opponent doesn't react in time, he will either have to get hit by the missile or keep blocking.

If your opponent is in the corner, you can cancel your combos into Up Missile. You should also use Sektor's BnB corner combo: 1, 2, B1, (dash back), B2, 1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, Flame Burner (45% no meter).

If you block an opponent's teleport, the easy way to punish is F4, 4, TU, etc.

Enhanced Up Missile/Homing Missile can help you move on in because your opponent will be standing there blocking (unless they try to attack you but get hit by the missile). It can be a waste of meter so you shouldn't use it often.

Enhanced TU is more safe than regular TU and can be a great wake-up attack. You will have to read your opponent to know when to use it. Flame Burner can also be a decent wake-up attack but it's unsafe on block.

I also wouldn't recommend using his X-Ray unless you want to finish the round/match with unbreakable damage. It has armor (meaning it can't be interrupted) but it is easily blocked or jumped over. If you want to use it, use it in a combo or to counter an opponent's projectile.

If you want to see a video of Sektor's combos, just ask (or refer to my sig). I made one consisting of almost all combo possiblities for Sektor. There are also a bunch of combos listed on this forum, plus other Sektor combo videos on Youtube.

To be completely honest, I wouldn't recommend the JIK TUs online. I dropped so many of them that I threw my Sektor on the backburner due to the immense frustration of dropping them constantly online.
Alot of people say this but I never seem to have any trouble :/ Due to the input lag I don't even wait for hit confirm and 97% of the time it'll connect (after say, a launcher, or if they are blocking low on my way in).

chem

Thanks Red, an extremely useful post. I didn't know about the corner combo, will have to work on that tomorrow, seems the timing is going to be pretty tight to pull it off.

I managed to get the flamethrower to work a few times in practice but think I'll struggle to use it online right now so will stick with b2, 1 and keep pressure on with an up missile or a flamethrower (or possibly even TU) on the wake up and see what I can do.

I'm guessing to learn the best way to mix up is just to play against people to find out what works and doesn't? Also about cancelling into up missile, is that after b2 like flamethrower/1 or is it somewhere else in the combo? When I'm in a game it does feel like I'm using TU a lot, is that normal? I suppose it is crucial for his combo's.

ryublaze

Noob
Thanks Red, an extremely useful post. I didn't know about the corner combo, will have to work on that tomorrow, seems the timing is going to be pretty tight to pull it off.

I managed to get the flamethrower to work a few times in practice but think I'll struggle to use it online right now so will stick with b2, 1 and keep pressure on with an up missile or a flamethrower (or possibly even TU) on the wake up and see what I can do.

I'm guessing to learn the best way to mix up is just to play against people to find out what works and doesn't? Also about cancelling into up missile, is that after b2 like flamethrower/1 or is it somewhere else in the combo? When I'm in a game it does feel like I'm using TU a lot, is that normal? I suppose it is crucial for his combo's.
Yeah you can end with b2, up missile but your opponent will be able to use wake-up attack. I guess you can bait them and then block and punish. It is normal for Sektor players to use TU a lot but it is probably not a good idea to randomly use it, especially if your opponent blocks a lot. It should be used to counter projectiles and in combos. Oh yeah and it can also counter Smoke's EX parry (his shake move).

Another thing about TU is that it can be used instantly off the ground (iTU/instant TU). Jump and as soon as Sektor's feet leave the ground, use a TU. This is quicker than a normal TU. A combo you can try is 1, 2, B1, iTU. I didn't find this technique though. Credit goes to whoever found it (I believe it was someone from this site).