What's new

new Slim PS3 Slim announced at TGS (yes you read that right)

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!

Thoughts? I think way too many people are flipping their lid (pun intended) about the new sliding cover mechanism for game discs. I understand that it may be awkward for anyone that likes to keep their consoles on narrow shelves or whatever, but complaining about how "cheap" it looks? Really? Sony could've easily copped out and gave it the age old toilet seat method from the PS1 days.

While I think it looks better than the current slim, I could care less about aesthetics and my stance on PS3 models is always the same, backwards compatibility with PS2 games or GTFO Sony.

60GB model master race. <3

Tim Static

Adminerator
Thoughts? I think way too many people are flipping their lid (pun intended) about the new sliding cover mechanism for game discs. I understand that it may be awkward for anyone that likes to keep their consoles on narrow shelves or whatever, but complaining about how "cheap" it looks? Really? Sony could've easily copped out and gave it the age old toilet seat method from the PS1 days.

While I think it looks better than the current slim, I could care less about aesthetics and my stance on PS3 models is always the same, backwards compatibility with PS2 games or GTFO Sony.

60GB model master race. <3
My 60g bit the dust last year, and i've been stuck with PS1 only playing slims since. :/ Sucks, but all those old PS3's are ticking time bombs.

I do get why Sony is doing this tho. The PS3 is the premier Blu-ray player, and with all these giant TV's these days, they modeled these for people getting those TV's that are too big for a traditional TV stand set up, etc.

But whatever. Why these things can't play PS2 games, PSP games, etc is mind boggling.

STRYKIE

still think the best looking is the original ps3. ahhhhhh nice and glossy
It's nice for what it is but as Cpt pointed out, production costs on it were through the roof, they had to tone it down otherwise they'd probably be passin the dutch with Sega by now lol.

My 60g bit the dust last year, and i've been stuck with PS1 only playing slims since. :/ Sucks, but all those old PS3's are ticking time bombs.

I do get why Sony is doing this tho. The PS3 is the premier Blu-ray player, and with all these giant TV's these days, they modeled these for people getting those TV's that are too big for a traditional TV stand set up, etc.

But whatever. Why these things can't play PS2 games, PSP games, etc is mind boggling.
Yeah I hear ya. I'm honestly not even that fond of the PS2 library but BC on a whole is like a condom to me, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

That was the reason (for the most part) they were $435849.36 when they first came out, making them backwards compatible.
It did contribute but I think the reason why it was taken out is because BC was Ken Kutaragi's idea, after he left SCE, Kaz Hirai took his role and saw it as a gimmicky waste of manufacturing cost. (hence why they never bothered to remove PS1 BC from the PS2)

This news came out like 5-6 months ago, no offense.
That was a blueprint leak and conclusive renders, no offence.

STRYKIE

Don't buy a current console unless you get it for dirt cheap imo
Of course, PS3 was never worth the money that they charged for it.
If you mean the launch price I think it was more Sony's "look at what you're getting, the mass market will still buy it in droves because it's a Playstation" attitude that pissed everyone off than the price itself. It's easier said than done to go off on coulda, shoulda, woulda in retrospective, people complain about TTT2 being £40/$60 now and I just tell them about SF2 WW on SNES lol.

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
I will be buying one since my current ps3 bit the dust not to mention the ps3 was built with a 10 year lifeline so it still has 3-4 more years and on top of that Sony said they would continue to support the ps3 till atleast 2015.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Yea this no backwards compatibility is such a joke. I have the 80 gig version that's backwards compatible because, gee, maybe sony might of thought that someone who buys a ps3 has a library of ps2 games? I get the digital distribution, and I really don't mind it at this point, but I am NOT paying for the same game twice unless I rage out and destroy it for whatever reason.