What's new

New guy here from SA

Hey everyone,

Like the title says, I'm all the way from South Africa and a huge MK fan :) .

Bought the game about a month ago and have really been enjoying it tremendously. I have watched numerous videos on Youtube and have been following the MLG tournament stream that was on last weekend and boy, watching guys like Perfect Legend, Reo, Tom Brady etc, I truly wish I could play like any of them.

I have a question that needs to be answered.

Can anybody direct me to a guide here on TYM perhaps or anywhere else that can teach/show me how to perform quick dashing / dash cancelling. I really want to string combos together, for example, you launch your opponent into the air and you basically juggle or do a "frame in" (think that is the correct term, if not correct me, :D ) and juggle your opponent.

But it seems that in order to do that, you need to be able to quick dash / dash cancel in order to cover the distance to be able to hit your opponent before he / she falls back to the ground. Can anyone give me advice on how to do this please ?

My main at the moment is Reptile, love his force balls and would like to be able to juggle people using him. Not only him, other characters as well. I see Scorpion is also very noob friendly from what I have seen. If anyone can just help me do a quick dash / dash cancel (there is probably a difference between the two?) I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you

PS: We have a very small but dedicated MK community down in SA, so we normally play amongst each other online, as playing against EU people can be somewhat laggy :(

I don't think it makes a difference when it comes to online where you are located. The MK servers I think are in the States. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think it makes a difference when it comes to online where you are located. The MK servers I think are in the States. Correct me if I'm wrong.
From what I recall, yes the servers are located in the US, however, the game is region locked to avoid excessive lag. I think Ed Boon or someone else from NRS did mention that prior to the game's release.

Hey everyone,

Like the title says, I'm all the way from South Africa and a huge MK fan :) .

Bought the game about a month ago and have really been enjoying it tremendously. I have watched numerous videos on Youtube and have been following the MLG tournament stream that was on last weekend and boy, watching guys like Perfect Legend, Reo, Tom Brady etc, I truly wish I could play like any of them.

I have a question that needs to be answered.

Can anybody direct me to a guide here on TYM perhaps or anywhere else that can teach/show me how to perform quick dashing / dash cancelling. I really want to string combos together, for example, you launch your opponent into the air and you basically juggle or do a "frame in" (think that is the correct term, if not correct me, :D ) and juggle your opponent.

But it seems that in order to do that, you need to be able to quick dash / dash cancel in order to cover the distance to be able to hit your opponent before he / she falls back to the ground. Can anyone give me advice on how to do this please ?

My main at the moment is Reptile, love his force balls and would like to be able to juggle people using him. Not only him, other characters as well. I see Scorpion is also very noob friendly from what I have seen. If anyone can just help me do a quick dash / dash cancel (there is probably a difference between the two?) I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you

PS: We have a very small but dedicated MK community down in SA, so we normally play amongst each other online, as playing against EU people can be somewhat laggy :(
Reptile's walk speed and dashing really aren't like other characters because he has the command dash.

My suggestion if you really want to get good at movement in this game is to start with Liu Kang. Liu Kang's combo's will force you to input dashes mid-string.

Practice this:

Liu Kang: b312, dash, b312, dash, b312, dash b31 xx (dragon kick, low fireball or bicycle kick)
Liu Kang: 213, dash, 213, dash, 213, dash b31 xx (dragon kick, low fireball or bicycle kick)

Once you have this down, experiment with these strings:

- 213 (combo starter, last hit overhead)
- f12 (fast advancing string, hits crouching enemies, can be used mid combo and as part of a frame-trap)
- 12b1 (can be used mid-combo after the 213 string typically)

In regards to movement in general, you will want to get used to moving around using dash blocking.

This can be achieved by simply pressing: forward, forward then block (block cancels the recovery frames of the dash animation)

You can also do this from a backward dash: back, back then block.

You can also enter crouch much more quickly by using the same method of dash blocking however by also holding down immediately after you are holding block.

Practice this after both a forward and back dash.

There is a difference in characters walk speeds and the distance covered in some cases on forward and back dashes.

Start with Liu Kang, Raiden can also dash around forward and backwards pretty effectively.

If you don't understand the notation I mentioned above with the combos and strings to practice, just mention so and I can explain that further. It is important to be able to read the notation since it's used all over this website in the character guides.

Listen to Morty. He is as wise as the God of Thunder himself.

And welcome to the website! :D
Thanks for the welcome and thanks a lot Morty, I'll give it a try.

Will have a look at the character guides to decipher those combos you listed :D

EDIT: I can't find what those combo codes "b312" means, I take it back 3,1,2 with the 3,1,2 referring to the X, Triangle, Circle and Square buttons ?

Any links that lists all of those key presses ?