What's new

New(?) bomb trap/reset

Raven3r

Noob
Not sure if this has been found before but while messing around with Cyrax in practice I found a nice bomb trap/reset that I didn't know about that should work even after the incoming reset fixes.

Basically start off with the usual:
2,1,ex-bomb, mid bomb, dash, 3

But stop after 3 and let him fall to the ground. If you do 3,3 the opponent can roll back to dodge the bomb, but with just one 3 the bomb will hit even if the opponent rolls back. If he lies still then the bomb will hit as well.

The opponents only option is to do a wake up attack which can be blocked and punished. After the dash,3 you can stand/crouch block in case of the wake up attack and still have time to njp (for example) if the bomb hits and continue the combo. So far I've only got this to 65% using 1 bar but I'm sure others can figure something out.

Obviously this will perform differently vs different characters depending on their wake up options but I think its a nice tool to have.

Maxter

Noob
great finding

great finding buddy, but i already knew about this, u can also throw another close bomb after the single kick, the problem is to trigger the reset on the second one, is doable but is not as easy to catch on the air with jumping punch after the reset, still something good might come out of this, i always try to go for the 3,3 bursaw reset and secure the 60% damage, but still this is a good technique and some nice resets might come out of it later,

Raven3r

Noob
great finding buddy, but i already knew about this, u can also throw another close bomb after the single kick, the problem is to trigger the reset on the second one, is doable but is not as easy to catch on the air with jumping punch after the reset, still something good might come out of this, i always try to go for the 3,3 bursaw reset and secure the 60% damage, but still this is a good technique and some nice resets might come out of it later,
Yeah I was playing about with the close bomb after the kick and a well timed b2 can have both explosions hitting them at once sending them flying! Got the combo up to 68% with 1 bar using this so far. I would go for the buzzsaw reset but its supposed to be getting removed so this is the closest reset alternative and more reliable than 3,3 as they can't recovery roll. Also a being able to punish a wake up attempt can result in an even better combo.

NariTuba

disMember
Yeah I was playing about with the close bomb after the kick and a well timed b2 can have both explosions hitting them at once sending them flying! Got the combo up to 68% with 1 bar using this so far. I would go for the buzzsaw reset but its supposed to be getting removed so this is the closest reset alternative and more reliable than 3,3 as they can't recovery roll. Also a being able to punish a wake up attempt can result in an even better combo.
What about smoke´s cloud dash on wakeup? it will get him out of this completely right? Also Sheeva stomp maybe? These are off the top of my head but worth considering. Also Liu Kangs bycicle you would need to stand block otherwise he might fly over you. What about characters that have armored low projectiles on wakeup (Noob) would you be able to get a full punish on that?

EDIT addendum: Kitana square wave should also get her out. Sonyas arc kick? (tho it does take ages to come out and not sure wether it has armor) Sonya´s Ex cartwheel har armor and is safe on block. Barakas blade charge as well. Ermacs could perhaps learn to use the lift ground stomp and cancel it to avoid the bomb. Of course all safe teleports should allow you to escape as well (Sektor Ex, Kung wow Ex, Scorpion Ex, etc)

Take into account that you can do +/- 50% with Cyrax for one bar if the opp doesnt have breaker. Should you decide to go for this reset you have to be conscious of your opp´s meter since one bar would allow them to escape and you would end up with something like +/- 30%

Raven3r

Noob
What about smoke´s cloud dash on wakeup? it will get him out of this completely right? Also Sheeva stomp maybe? These are off the top of my head but worth considering. Also Liu Kangs bycicle you would need to stand block otherwise he might fly over you. What about characters that have armored low projectiles on wakeup (Noob) would you be able to get a full punish on that?

EDIT addendum: Kitana square wave should also get her out. Sonyas arc kick? (tho it does take ages to come out and not sure wether it has armor) Sonya´s Ex cartwheel har armor and is safe on block. Barakas blade charge as well. Ermacs could perhaps learn to use the lift ground stomp and cancel it to avoid the bomb. Of course all safe teleports should allow you to escape as well (Sektor Ex, Kung wow Ex, Scorpion Ex, etc)

Take into account that you can do +/- 50% with Cyrax for one bar if the opp doesnt have breaker. Should you decide to go for this reset you have to be conscious of your opp´s meter since one bar would allow them to escape and you would end up with something like +/- 30%
Yeah all wake up attacks allow the opponent to escape so this combo will be more useful against different characters depending on their wake up options. Against Johnny Cage for example, all his options can be blocked/made to whiff and punished.

Also just found that there's enough time to do a crossover punch to counter wake up options (all of Kenshi's etc) and still have time to continue the combo if the bomb explodes and its even better if you get the wake up punish as its a free combo with a jip starter.

It can also force opponents to use meter to escape if you're trying to set up a high damage combo that you don't want breakered. By no means is it a be all and end all combo, I'll still be doing 50-60% 1 bar combo's if I need guaranteed damage but if you're feeling risky and want a mind game that you think you can come out on top with then you can squeeze out some extra damage with this. Don't know if the risk vs reward is worth it so far but I'm sure people can get more damage out of it that I can.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
Ok ive done some testing with this.

By the way, this also works with the 2 punch! Infact its probably better to use the 2 punch as it is a little slower then the 3 kick wich allows you to buffer in bombs much easier after it.

The easiest double reset i could find that uses 1 bar is probably this...

uf+2, 21~net, uf+2, 21~EXbomb, midbomb, 2, shortbomb, bf+2, u+2, b+2, 1,2,1~ragdoll+throw.... 79%

For this to work, you cant link the short bomb off the 2, however you must do the shortbomb imediately after the 2 has come out.. This way the buzzsaw will connect for the second reset.

The most damaging i could find for 1 bar is this...

uf+2, 21~net, uf+2, 21~EXbomb, midbomb, 2, shortbomb, 2~bf+2, u+2, b+2, 1,2,1~ragdoll+throw.... 81%

Personally i find the previous combo much easier to do as you can initiate the buzzsaw much sooner, wich allows for quicker recovery for the jump punch. In this combo however, it is harder to get the jump punch in as Maxter has pointed out. The trick is to make the second bomb come out at the very last split second before the first one explodes. this gives you a little bit more time to get the 2~bf+2 in and creates a small amount of recovery after the bf+2 wich inturn makes it easier for the jump punch to connect..

The most damaging i can find using 3 bars is this..

uf+2, 21~net, uf+2, 21~EXbomb, midbomb, 2, shortbomb, 2~bf+2, EXbomb, b+2, 3~EXbomb, 1,2,1~ragdoll+throw.... 96%

This is a great find guys!

TONY-T

Mad scientist
Heres one that uses only the first initial reset...

uf+2, 21~net, uf+2, 21~EXbomb, midbomb, 2~farbomb, uppercut, b+2, 1,2,1~ragdoll+throw.... 78%

This only uses 1 bar and 1 reset!

After the 2 you need to do a small dash back whilst buffering in the far bomb. Once the far bomb has come out, dash back in and uppercut them into the far bomb. essentially, you need to uppercut them as they are exploding off the midbomb. It can be a little tricky trying to buffer the far bomb after the 2, but with a little practice it shouldnt be a problem...

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Not sure if this has been found before but while messing around with Cyrax in practice I found a nice bomb trap/reset that I didn't know about that should work even after the incoming reset fixes.

Basically start off with the usual:
2,1,ex-bomb, mid bomb, dash, 3

But stop after 3 and let him fall to the ground. If you do 3,3 the opponent can roll back to dodge the bomb, but with just one 3 the bomb will hit even if the opponent rolls back. If he lies still then the bomb will hit as well.

The opponents only option is to do a wake up attack which can be blocked and punished. After the dash,3 you can stand/crouch block in case of the wake up attack and still have time to njp (for example) if the bomb hits and continue the combo. So far I've only got this to 65% using 1 bar but I'm sure others can figure something out.

Obviously this will perform differently vs different characters depending on their wake up options but I think its a nice tool to have.
I've been doing this for a while now, but since there are more damaging ones i never really used consistently!

NariTuba

disMember
It can also force opponents to use meter to escape if you're trying to set up a high damage combo that you don't want breakered. By no means is it a be all and end all combo, I'll still be doing 50-60% 1 bar combo's if I need guaranteed damage but if you're feeling risky and want a mind game that you think you can come out on top with then you can squeeze out some extra damage with this. Don't know if the risk vs reward is worth it so far but I'm sure people can get more damage out of it that I can.
I´m actually GLAD this is not a be all end all combo. This is the type of stuff Cyrax will be made of in the future! I forsee we will have several of these escapable resets (as a matter of fact we already do) and will be alternating between them to keep our opponents guessing as to when to execute their appropriate wake up to escape. Awesome mind games.

We as Cyrax players will have to study our matchups in order to know what tools to utilize in each case. And opp will have to study Cyrax resets in order to be able to react in time. Thanks for putting this out there so we can discuss it man! very useful.

Heres one that uses only the first initial reset...

uf+2, 21~net, uf+2, 21~EXbomb, midbomb, 2~farbomb, uppercut, b+2, 1,2,1~ragdoll+throw.... 78%
beeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaast!

Raven3r

Noob
looking for more resets.. *sigh*
We're looking to further enhance the abilities of our character. You're telling me you don't want to maximise your damage? Any good player of any character will want to do as much damage as they can whether it be a reset or not, sub zero players were all over their reset that was found for example (just off the top of my head).

If you say you don't need this or any reset/set up to win then you're purposefully limiting your potential. I'm sure there are many things we don't need to win but having the option to use them definitely helps.

The moment we stop finding out new things is the moment we stop learning!

Like narituba said this is also a mind game with many possible outcomes, one of which happens to be a reset.