What's new

Negative Edge?

Ive decided that i want to main NW. Here are the problems i am having:

122 hatchet --> comes out 122 choke?
b22 hatchet --> comes out b22 choke?

How do you guys deal with this negative edge? What should i do to stop the choke from coming out and be more consistent with my combos?

my bnb that i like to use is: F31 hatchet, B2, hatchet, dash, 122 shoulder (36%) However sometimes all of the string will connect except the shoulder. The shoulder seems to go right under the player at times. Any reasons for this?

Ive also read that F3 is supposed to be an awesome moves that can stuff some wakeups and pokes, but when i try to do this i normally get hit with a wakeup attack and i get crossed up alot.

Is F31 hatchet a safe string?

Would any NW's care to spare some time and help me level up my NW?

To prevent 122 Hatchet coming out as Choke, wait until the last 2 (2, not two) hits, and then input Hatchet. If you're still getting Choke, wait one second before inputting Hatchet.

For 122 Shoulder to connect, you need to do at least one 1. e.g:

F31 Hatchet B2 Hatchet dash 1 dash 1 dash 122 Shoulder

F3, F31, and F31 Hatchet are all safe. As is 1221.

Kuai Liang

Tundra
I gave up on Nightwolf for that choke crap. I can land it fine in the practice room but once you jump online I maybe get the hatchet once. You just really have to wait till you see the Green hatchet come out before you input D F 1 or you'll get choke. If I played offline I would definitely learn him but I have a hard time online. I started landing the hatchet online more since I used b 1 1 or f 3 1 but then I always dropped the juggles because the game is lagging so I had to drop him. For now at least. Juggling with Nightwolf, I found that if you juggle with a couple 1's it will put the opponent in the right place to get hit by the shoulder.

The good thing about F31 is that is has a natural delay that tricks people sometimes, so you can do F31, if it's blocked and late cancel into the hatchet or go for a throw. I'm pretty sure it's safe. I played Nightwolf for a while but I don't know too much.

122 hatchet --> comes out 122 choke?
b22 hatchet --> comes out b22 choke?
How do you guys deal with this negative edge? What should i do to stop the choke from coming out and be more consistent with my combos?
Nightwolf has one of the worst relationships with negative edge of any character in the game--possible the worst. It's one of the primary things that has kept me from full-on maining him. The best thing you can do is to slow down your input. His neg-edge issues mean that you can't just dial in your combos as fast as possible and keep going. Whenever you input one of his strings, especially a string that involves 2, try to learn that you have more time to input your special cancels than you think you do. Input the end of the string, pause a split second to return your controls to neutral, and THEN input the next command. It's a pain in the ass, but, ironically, it's a good lesson to learn for your overall execution in playing this or any game.

my bnb that i like to use is: F31 hatchet, B2, hatchet, dash, 122 shoulder (36%) However sometimes all of the string will connect except the shoulder. The shoulder seems to go right under the player at times. Any reasons for this?
The gravity scaling isn't high enough at that point in the combo to counteract the fact that 122 lifts the opponent back up. Add a dash+1 in between the second hatchet and the 122+shoulder and it'll hit consistently. So the combo should be: f31, hatchet, b2, hatchet, dash, 1, dash, 122, shoulder.

Ive also read that F3 is supposed to be an awesome moves that can stuff some wakeups and pokes, but when i try to do this i normally get hit with a wakeup attack and i get crossed up alot.
You're either timing it wrong or doing it against the wrong opponent or both. Wakeup shenanigans in this game are always a guessing game of read-and-react between you and the opponent. You have to first have an idea of what your opponent CAN do on wakeup (based on who they are playing), and then what they likely WILL do (based on what you can see of their playstyle/mentality). Against many characters, f3 can sneak in between the invincibility frames of a wakeup move and the active frames that can hit you. Against others, it's tough, and against some, it's impossible. Obviously, characters like Raiden, Reptile, and Kung Lao are risky to do this against, at best. If you want to get good at wakeup games, learn some frame data.

Is F31 hatchet a safe string?
Yes.

Would any NW's care to spare some time and help me level up my NW?
Would love to help, but my internet situation isn't great right now. Plus, I'm far from the best Nightwolf on the boards, and I defer to those people.

Good luck!

gotta slow down on the imputs.It sucks at first but you get used to it.

But it still sucks when i try to do an uppercut and reflect comes out sometimes

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
If you play on xbox you get more issues like Willie said. You do uppercut but the reflect comes out. Bcause all the buttons are connected on the dpad, you get DB 2 instead of d 2.

Also on crossovers when I try a wakeup axe, the arrow comes out due to just the slightest mis timing. This makes most efforts to do a wake up on crossup null. Same thing with db2 and df2. Db1 and df1. Tw very different moves so similar in command.

The more you practice timing with Nightwolf in Training, the less likely negative edge will occur. Sadly, vicious lag voids this.

It's a bitch, to say the least.

HadesWTF

Don't Hate!
NW's negative edge is absurd and annoying at times, the trick is all about his timing. You can never dial up with NW, you have to be patient and pace through the combos. In both of the combo's you mentioned you have to wait for hit confirmation on the last hit before canceling into hatchet. As for the shoulder, your doing it too early. Really it is just going to take a lot of time to learn to play NW effectively. He is a high learning curb, high reward character. So expect to spend a lot of time in the lab mastering the pace of his combos and his negative edge, and then expect to go online and have to learn it all over again, because your going to need to be on a different wavelength. The combos your trying are some of the more difficult ones to master as well let me give you something to start out with.

F+3,1, (negative edge Hatchet) DF, B+2, EX Hatchet, Choke (36%) (you can also replace the choke with 1,2,2, shoulder, or anything for that matter. All of NW's combos are interchangeable)

Hope this helps